base layer question

I just got back about an hour ago from allaire, today I had a fox short sleeve base shirt on, a Pearl izumi zip up turtle neck, a Patagonia pull over fleece and a Pearl Izumi zip up jacket. Down below was two pairs of socks, some new balance runners pants and my azonic shorts.

All that stuff is pretty compressable so if I get to warm, Ill just stuff something in the camelback.

What bike??

I was out for hour and a half last night and i had on, craft baclava, special-ed base layer,Cannondale polertec long sleeve jersey,an outer shell,and a Cannondale vest, and the Cannondale wind shreader pants.I was good the whole night, bonus was the snow that was coming down toward the end of the ride. :D

I've been hitting up Target for the "Champion" style workout gear. I found long sleeve zippered shirts made out of some sort of wicking material for about $10.00. The seem to work as well as any of the Body Armour or Pearl I. stuff that I own and paid 3x's the price for.

I've been hitting up Target for the "Champion" style workout gear. I found long sleeve zippered shirts made out of some sort of wicking material for about $10.00. The seem to work as well as any of the Body Armour or Pearl I. stuff that I own and paid 3x's the price for.

In my experience there is absolutely no correlation between price and effectiveness. If you check out the winter forums on bikeforums.net you'll see many stand by the Walmart/Target clothing.

In lieu of pancakes I may have to cover my hide with falling prices.

My favorite base layer is Craft, but it is expensive. I find a lot of good base layer stuff on www.sierratradingpost.com.

They have good deals on cycling clothes, you just have to keep checking to see if anything new has come in. I have found great deals on shorts, jerseys, and all kinds of winter stuff.

This morning was 23 when I left the house a tad after sunrise. I wore UnderArmour long-sleeve top and a euro winter jacket. Bottom: Pearl Izumi winter tights and cut-off shorts ('cause I don't want to look like those guys).

BTW that's on the road. Mountain biking I sometimes use a regular long-sleeve jersey instead.

In my experience there is absolutely no correlation between price and effectiveness. If you check out the winter forums on bikeforums.net you'll see many stand by the Walmart/Target clothing.

In lieu of pancakes I may have to cover my hide with falling prices.

i see that stuff and it looks fine enough. i used to think champion was the bees knees but i recently bought a pair of work pants...er...sweat pants and they are already showing signs of wear. i did take the plunge and bought a pair of jeans from walmart once. i stress once. i needed a cheap pair of jeans to paint my house in and for $14 they fit the bill. washed em up, they shrunk and when i put them on, they ripped. so, was it worth it for less than one wear just b/c they were $14? not to me.

that may not be true for the base layer stuff but i HATE, HATE, HATE throwing money away which i why i'll spring for the patagucci stuff. it lasts forever and if it does rip at the seam or something they replace it. i'll prolly troll for deals until i find something cheap unless i need it next week in which case i'll be at ramsey outdoor buying underarmour.

I work outside all year long and in the winter, I layer up. Target and Dicks supply me pretty well with turtle necks, hooded sweat shirts and thermals. Its cheaper, just as effective and I dont get pissed if I rip or stain something.

My Pearl Izumi stuff was an xmas gift from my wife, if it wasnt from her, I dont think I would own it. I also have several items from Patagonia, mostly fleeces and a snow jacket, and I agree with jake, its pricey, but worth it. I have a black expedition weight fleece that is about five years old that is now turning colors because it has been washed so many times, but it is still damn warm and comfy, I cant part with it.

Back
Top Bottom