Barack Obama 2008?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it'll be a false run, of sorts. Oddly I was thinking of this on the train this morning. I say oddly because I generally dislike politics. I think he'll declare, go head to head with Hillary, then pull out at some point before he gets too deep. Sort of a "test the waters" thing and see how he stands up to the early heat.

Realistically I think he will realize he's probably not going to stand up to the Clinton machine and back out when it's most convenient. With his inexperience in politics and the mud dragging that goes on in a political campaign I think he would benefit the most in doing it this way.

Then maybe he makes a real run in 4 or 8 years.

Shaggz

A strong 7
The Clinton machine is a force to be reckoned with. But, I just don't know how well "it" will do in the fly-over states next time around. There seems to be a real disconnect, but '08 is a long time away. The planets are aligining for Obama - it will be interesting to see what happens. I beleive his stats, other than bing president for 8 years, are similar to hillary's.

Here's my dream matchup for '08:

Dem - Obama/Lieberman
Rep - McCain/Giuliani

I wouldn't play the odds, though...

SpartaBard

The Clinton machine is a force to be reckoned with. But, I just don't know how well "it" will do in the fly-over states next time around. There seems to be a real disconnect, but '08 is a long time away. The planets are aligining for Obama - it will be interesting to see what happens. I beleive his stats, other than bing president for 8 years, are similar to hillary's.

Here's my dream matchup for '08:

Dem - Obama/Lieberman
Rep - McCain/Giuliani

I wouldn't play the odds, though...

I would be surprised if Hillary makes it out of the primary and if so it would be bad news for the Dems, she is too polarizing. Our country is getting close to electing a women, but Hillary will not be it.

I am not sure if I see Obama/Lieberman together.

Am I correct in assuming you think McCain for pres. with Giuliani as his running mate? I cannot imagine Giuliani ever playing second fiddle to anyone! Maybe the other way around, but definitely two alpha-males together.

Shaggz

A strong 7
that is what I would like to see, but agree with you - Rudy will be all or nothing. However, I think he has too much political baggage to run as pres. Not that the others don't. Lieberman has a low to zero chance of getting on the ticket just by virtue of him jumping ship to run and WIN again in Connecticut.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think what Brad suggests will pan out. Hillary will with the nomination and be far too controversial/polarizing for the middle road voters. I think she will then lose in a landslide to whoever is on the other side. One thing that could really thwart this is that the Clinton running is not Bill, and does not have the public charisma that he does. In fact it's quite the opposite which doesn't play well to the swing voter.

Shaggz

A strong 7
that is what makes obama a fomidable opponent; he can take the swing voter from the republicans.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the detractors in his own party are going to be relentless in attacking him in regards to a lack of experience. This alone might be enough to prevent him from getting the nomination.

I seriously think he should have announced on Oprah. Talk about a swing voter demographic.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i agree - well, his announcemnt today was for an exploratory comittee - he still has sometime to officially announce. Scary the influence and power that one woman can yield. Even *without* an official announcement on her show, she has yet to publically endorse a candidate. The power of her endorsement alone has the potential to overwhelm any candidate and contribution money.

SpartaBard

that is what makes obama a fomidable opponent; he can take the swing voter from the republicans.

I wouldn't necessarily say formidable, b/c Obama does have some drawbacks, Edwards may be more formidable.

Hillary would be bad news for the dems.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i think the Oprah backing moves him into the realm of formidable. I think that edwards certainly has A LOT going for him as well, except that he is associated with a loser in '04. is there anyone in recent history that lost one election as a running mate and won the next time around as pres?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't necessarily say formidable, b/c Obama does have some drawbacks...

In terms of being elected by this population, a major one is that he's black. There are plenty of people who won't vote for a black candidate. I would be really interested to see Rice versus Clinton. Either voter turnout would be at an all time low, or a 3rd party candidate might get more votes than ever before. Maybe Kinky Friedman would finally get his day in the sun. Oh wait, he's Jewish. The American voter doesn't like that either.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i would partially agree with that. I think he could take the east coast states that are traditionally dem, such as ny, nj, ct - maybe even swing those flakes out in CA, too. But i think rudy's trouble is that he is "too" new york, which *might* limit his appeal in the mid-west.

this is going to be a real interesting election.

Shaggz

A strong 7
In terms of being elected by this population, a major one is that he's black. There are plenty of people who won't vote for a black candidate. I would be really interested to see Rice versus Clinton. Either voter turnout would be at an all time low, or a 3rd party candidate might get more votes than ever before. Maybe Kinky Friedman would finally get his day in the sun. Oh wait, he's Jewish. The American voter doesn't like that either.

Rice vs Clinton would be real interesting too. By the same token, my guess is that there a re lot of people who would not vote for hillary, or Rice for that matter, because they are women.

McCain/Powell?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think Rudy has much of a shot. Once it comes down to it I think he has trouble holding even NY/NJ/CT. He's as polarizing as they get, and when his track record in NYC gets really inspected he's going to turn a lot of dem voters off.

But yeah, interesting election. Also have to consider how Iraq goes in the next 2 years as well as what the Dems do with control of congress. That will play a role in how things shake out as well.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
funny, i don't follow politics at all, but i think rudy does have a real shot. why? his face was on every tv in the land b/c of 911. after bush, people are going to want a president that can make solid decisions under pressure. rudy has show the country (even the fly over states) that he's more than capable of doing that AND isn't afraid to get his hands dirty doing it.

obama, well, if he does in fact announce on oprah, he will be a VERY powerful candidate. i don't think you all realize that we here on the east coast are the minority. take a stroll through any walmart and you'll know what i mean. that is america. that is oprah land. black, green or plaid, an endorsement from oprah may as well be an endorsement from the almight him/her/itself.

SpartaBard

I saw something pretty interesting today. McCain and Lieberman doing a news conference together...

How about that as a pair of running mates. Would they be a dream team? Granted they are both heavily pro-war which could hurt them, but they are both so middle of the road...

This would assume that McCain gets the Republican nod. Earlier I suggested McCain and Guiliani, but I don't really see them as a pair. This (Mc/Lieb) would be a much more cohesive match-up.

Democratic ticket... I kind of hope Hillary so she can get blown out of the water. That would be the worst possible candidate for the Dems.

J-Dro

I saw something pretty interesting today. McCain and Lieberman doing a news conference together...

How about that as a pair of running mates.

Awesome. Then Lieberman would be the first candidate in history to lose as VP for both the democrats and republicans.:D

Top Bottom