Bar Length

Triple-B

When I got this bike it had these Eryx 3T bar and stem which I felt had me raked forward alil to much so I bought a new RaceFace Next carbon riser bar and a Thompson elite x4 stem with an increased angle to bring them up. Well I put the new stuff on and went for a small ride. The new bars are about a half inch or lil more wider on each side than the old ones and higher. So I'm in a more comfortable position while sitting and riding but it feels like I have a sailboat wheel on the bike and not as controlled. I'm not sure if I can or how I would cut the bars as they are carbon but any opinions or tips ??

Old bar/stem
2z9fd03.jpg

New bar/stem
2ivn31s.jpg

Last edited:
Give it a few rides. You'll probably learn to love it. It will help you control the bike on the descents.

I run my bars excessively wide. But it works for me. I feel more stable on the bike and it gives me some extra leverage when climbing out of the saddle.

I agree with giving it a chance. Ive ridin bars from 23" (old school bmx) to 28" (dh). Wider was always more comfortable in every situation.

As for cutting carbon bars, i have no clue.

I'm in the same boat there-
went from bars that were 21" (22" probably, but with ends on them)
to 26" bars with no ends.
Feels damn odd, and will not work on the narrow trails of the Jungle.
Also the added leverage works both ways- you have more leverage over the bike, and vice versa.
Probably will leave them a little longer, but I have to take some off.
Going to slide the grips in an inch or so and ride it for a bit before I break out the hacksaw.

I saw somewhere the optimal width was about 4-6" wider than your shoulders if that helps. Sorry, no tips on cutting carbon.

26 1/4" would not be considered wide by any standard. Relax. Get comfortable in the cockpit of your bike.

How tall are you? I'm 5'8" and I feel comfortable on anything between 25-26.5". By the size of your bike, you're probably about the same as me. The more you ride with longer bars, you may notice more stability and also more control and power when you stand up and climb.

Like others have said, I would give it some more months and if you're still not happy, you can chop off a small portion from the ends. Then try it out for another month. If you're still not happy, chop off another small portion and repeat. It is possible to cut carbon, just search this site or google. I've never done it myself so don't want to give you bad advice.

26 1/4" would not be considered wide by any standard. Relax. Get comfortable in the cockpit of your bike.

I'm perfectly relaxed, thanks for your input.

How tall are you? I'm 5'8" and I feel comfortable on anything between 25-26.5". By the size of your bike, you're probably about the same as me. The more you ride with longer bars, you may notice more stability and also more control and power when you stand up and climb.

Like others have said, I would give it some more months and if you're still not happy, you can chop off a small portion from the ends. Then try it out for another month. If you're still not happy, chop off another small portion and repeat. It is possible to cut carbon, just search this site or google. I've never done it myself so don't want to give you bad advice.

I'm 6'2". All the bikes I've had the bars were never this wide but like I said in the above post I'm gonna give it alil bit and see how it is after a few or more rides. :cool:

if it comes down to you needed to cut them, you will need a carbon cutting blade with a guide. if you find that difficult kindly ask your lbs to help size them up right for u :D

Last time I went into my LBS and asked about a 29er they looked at me like I was on crack. I get strictly from the net.

I knew how wide they were I just didn't realize how different they would feel, If you know a REAL KNOWLEDGEABLE MTB shop in the Bergen county area let me know cause the 3 I went to were not really not very helpful.

For LBS, I like Campmor in Paramus and also Tenafly Bicycle Workshop.
+1 on these

Also Westwood cycles, and Cosmic Wheel in Rochelle Park might be options for you.

I understand the optimal width is based on your grip with your pinkies just on the bar end. That way you always know where your bar is because intuitively you always know where your hand is.

Not sure if I am going against conventional wisdom here but I think bar width has more to do with how fast you ride and how you want the bike to handle the type of terrain you ride. longer bars slow down the steering response and shorter bars quicken the steering input. when I got my new bike I had trouble keeping the bike in the middle of the trail on a steep climb so I cut them shorter a bit at a time until the bike was quicker to correct .

I put a Sunline 745mm on my xc bike this past year and cut off about 3/4" on both sides. So it's about 27.5" now. Feels perfect and I'm 6'3".

Put a couple rides in on the new bars. I think you'll really get to like the descent stability.

Not sure if I am going against conventional wisdom here but I think bar width has more to do with how fast you ride and how you want the bike to handle the type of terrain you ride. longer bars slow down the steering response and shorter bars quicken the steering input. when I got my new bike I had trouble keeping the bike in the middle of the trail on a steep climb so I cut them shorter a bit at a time until the bike was quicker to correct .

I agree with you on all that, it's what I noticed 1st the feel of how the bike was handling.

I put a Sunline 745mm on my xc bike this past year and cut off about 3/4" on both sides. So it's about 27.5" now. Feels perfect and I'm 6'3".

Put a couple rides in on the new bars. I think you'll really get to like the descent stability.

I put about 3 rides on it since and it is starting to feel better. :cool:

I put about 3 rides on it since and it is starting to feel better. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I'll be with more rides, you're comfort level will improve. I regularly ride some pretty tight trails w/28" bars and seldom bump them ... requires a little more finesse, but you end up with more control, esp going downhill.

Back
Top Bottom