Bands that should get more respect than they do.....

olegbabich

ABBA, Frank Zappa, King Diamond, Johnny Cash, Wolfmother, Captain Beefheart, Heart, Candlebox, Screaming Trees, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Rush, Disturbed, 3 Days Grace, Rammstein, Dream Theater, Pixies, Texas Hippie Coalition, VNV Nation, Sodom, Static X, Stabbing Westward, Bloodhound Gang, Cars, Audioslave, System of a Down, Chemlab, Tool, Perfect Circle, Breaking Benjamin, Wupscut, Talking Heads, Cure, Steve Miller, Suicidal Tendencies, Offspring

The Squirrel

Hah I've heard some stories.. I never dug his playing at all.
I completely understand. When guitarist rip like that it reminds me of gnats flying around my head.

In the end, most guitarists "Enve" sax players (fluidity) and sax players "Enve" guitarist (speed).

See what I did there.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
ABBA, Frank Zappa, King Diamond, Johnny Cash, Wolfmother, Captain Beefheart, Heart, Candlebox, Screaming Trees, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Rush, Disturbed, 3 Days Grace, Rammstein, Dream Theater, Pixies, Texas Hippie Coalition, VNV Nation, Sodom, Static X, Stabbing Westward, Bloodhound Gang, Cars, Audioslave, System of a Down, Chemlab, Tool, Perfect Circle, Breaking Benjamin, Wupscut, Talking Heads, Cure, Steve Miller, Suicidal Tendencies, Offspring

That there is some eclectic motherf*ckin' taste in music, son ...

Aside from perhaps some schizophrenic's list of bands that "play music", I'll bet most of these bands have never appeared in the same paragraph as one another before. Do you realize you have included - in one list! - ABBA, Candlebox, Rammstein, Bloodhound Gang, Breaking Benjamin and Suicidal Tendencies? And that's just one sampling ... I could probably repeat that sentence with all different names and it would still be mind-bending.

But seriously ... Bloodhound Gang deserves more respect? Really? Don't all their songs just use pre-recorded beats from a keyboard Jimmy Pop bought on clearance at Best Buy?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
And Soundgarden. Everything after Badmotorfinger is pure shit. Say what you want about 80's metal, but no one sold out as fast as Grunge did.

gtluke

The Moped
And Soundgarden. Everything after Badmotorfinger is pure shit. Say what you want about 80's metal, but no one sold out as fast as Grunge did.
I hate grunge. HATE it. I have no idea how this happened but it's "my generation's music" but I god damn hate it. I also blame grunge for ruining heavy metal. Well not all of it, but grunge put that whining and slow drumming bullshit into a chunk of metal and made it un listenable. I blame grunge for bands like Stained and Chevelle.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Thank you! At least grunge went quick, unfortunately it spawned Nu-Metal, which isn't metal. Chevelle and Staind are not metal, at all. You can add God Smack and Disturbed to that list also. David Draiman has a good voice though, he just needs a real band. Grunge also spawned Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters, who like the Chilli Peppers, will just not go away.

kidzach

Grunge as much as I can't stand it , had to happen at that exact time. Hair metal was overpopulated and had to be blown up and run off the mountain top. I do like some of the so called hair metal bands. But there was just way too many popping up every other week just churning out some new sappy "power ballad". Good thing the true heavy metal bands survived.

wonderturtle

is this (and the other list) just a list of bands you like? cause not sure I agree with this list as far as the topic of this thread....bands that don't get their proper due.

Johnny Cash doesn't get enough respect? really? can you really argue that he doesn't get enough props? the guy is beyond legendary.

Rush - seems lots of people revere them and they seem to be highly respected by a lot of people that are really into music.

Radiohead??! Radiohead is one of the most universally respected bands out there. and deservedly so!!! there is no way one can say they don't get their due. universally respected. very much so.

Bloodhound Gang? they are a fun band but what kind of respect do they deserve? same with ABBA. sure these bands don't get lots of "respect" - but are they really deserving of more "due". nothing wrong with being a pop act that make songs people like but they may not necessarily be "respected" as some "great bands". and that's okay.

Cars - get the level of props they deserve. same with Heart. Steve Miller - who disses Steve Miller?

Talking Heads and the Cure (two of my favorite bands) are universally respected. don't really see how they qualify here.

sorry, not picking on you, but not sure your lists are on point.

wonderturtle

This is why I said this thread sucks. It becomes "you have shitty taste in music, unlike myself who has very sophisticated and profound taste".

I agree. Any thread about music inevitably devolves into that. I tried to make it clear what the thread was supposed to be about in the op.

But think the topic is just too specific. So agree. Thread sucks.

But it's a slow time of year and were on page 7 So screw it ;)

Last edited:

MikeyBikey2000

Bee Gees... wrote a bunch of great tunes that other artists made famous.. but are crowned kings of disco.. also the tunes they did for Saturday Night Fever are the not the monotonous slap bass octaves that the genre eventually devolved down too.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I remember growing up in the 70s it was not cool to like the Bee gees. If you where into ROCK AN ROLL, the general consensus was that disco sucked.
In reality the Gibb brothers where great song writers and unique vocalists.

wonderturtle

Bee Gees... wrote a bunch of great tunes that other artists made famous.. but are crowned kings of disco.. also the tunes they did for Saturday Night Fever are the not the monotonous slap bass octaves that the genre eventually devolved down too.

Good one. Like some of their popular songs. But agree, think they get lumped in with "all those disco bands" but they were around well before disco and even their disco stuff, IMHO, is a notch or two above the typical.

I'll give another one.. Hall and Oates. I think many disregard them as just another early 80s creation of MTV. But they were around in the 70s and I think made better quality music then many people give them credit for.

wonderturtle

I just thought of the mother-of-all-commonly-unfairly-disregarded bands!!!!!

The Beach Boys!!

I think many (most?) people kinda think of them as some rather insignificant cute boy beach surf rock group. Like a surfer vision of the monkees.

But they were very influential on the advancement of rock/pop in the 60s. Brian Wilson's studio experimentation was legendary and forever changed popular music....helped move it into an art form rather than just a commodity. The influence of pet sounds on the Beatles (inspiration for sgt peppers) is well documented. There's a reason pet sounds is regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time .

They are much more significant and influential than many people realize.

Last edited:

MikeyBikey2000

Good one. Like some of their popular songs. But agree, think they get lumped in with "all those disco bands" but they were around well before disco and even their disco stuff, IMHO, is a notch or two above the typical.

I'll give another one.. Hall and Oates. I think many disregard them as just another early 80s creation of MTV. But they were around in the 70s and I think made better quality music then many people give them credit for.

I dig Sarah and She's Gone, but the other hits like Maneater and Private Eye are a little too commercial for my tastes.. however I would have to assume the full records around the time of the first tunes I mentioned probably have some quality on them but I have not heard them.

wonderturtle

I dig Sarah and She's Gone, but the other hits like Maneater and Private Eye are a little too commercial for my tastes.. however I would have to assume the full records around the time of the first tunes I mentioned probably have some quality on them but I have not heard them.

Totally agree. The man ester and private eyes stuff was mtv crap. The popular stuff before that was faaaaaaar better (Sara smiles and she's gone). Don't get me wrong don't think they're this hugely important group, at all, but think they deserve a bit more due than many give them.

Top Bottom