Bamboocycles

could a bamboo bike ever be used for anything other than an around-town cruiser? Could you ever have a bamboo mountain bike? I'd be very hesistant to take a bamboo bike over a bump/jump.

Calfee bikes in Calif. makes a bamboo tandem ( production model) FWIW.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

Calfee makes road and mountain applications as well...

Bamboo-MTB-e1294202603405.jpg

BambooPro.jpg

could a bamboo bike ever be used for anything other than an around-town cruiser? Could you ever have a bamboo mountain bike? I'd be very hesistant to take a bamboo bike over a bump/jump.

Bamboo bikes have been used in MTBing for a long time, and have been compared by some to carbon for strength. But not everyone in the industry agrees that they should be used for performance bikes, road or mountain. Keith Bontrager, for example, questioned the natural material science of bamboo as a pressure-resistant material. Because bamboo is essentially just longitudinal tubing bonded together by cellulose, it doesn't have the over-built strength that a carbon fiber design has, since carbon is just about always built with lateral strands to add torsional stiffness. I think I'd take that argument on face value -- why go for a boutique material like bamboo if there is even the chance that it could crack laterally? And besides, if I wanted to go after a wooden frame for the pure beauty of it, I think I could do better than bamboo on the "bike as art" front ...

I think all these bikes are like Ferrari's....

Made for the Sunday stroll to the restaurant to impress the ladies....:cool:

Not made to be ridden all the time and not as your primary ride

It is only for those who already have a Ti bike a Carbon bike and a few other bikes in their garage, plus have money burning holes in their pockets :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom