bamboo bike...

no calfee

BUT THAT IS F-ING NICE!
Good work.

But a perfectly good frame I could have used now ruined :(
Are you just letting the bamboo piece sit in between or is the real toptube fitted into the bamboo? I hope you put like a foot dia of bonding hemp on there. haha

I can't wait to see the results after your first ride if it lasts, but I'm hoping it does. :p

Are you just letting the bamboo piece sit in between or is the real toptube fitted into the bamboo?

right now the rod is just wedged in there, and the only the thing in the bamboo is polyurethane foam. fitting the tt in there would be cheating!

while those legs aren't mine, i do enjoy the denim/cleat combo:D.

i got a little lazy this week...
anywho, paint stirping sucks! this is soooo tedious...
I also picked up the hemp fiber today, 2 spools, making the current cost of the frame $19...

damn it, my mom took my camera with her to poland, so all i have is a webcam to take pictures...

I finally picked up the epoxy the other day at west marine. i'm using west system 105 resin and 206 hardener. Also in this picture are two spools of hemp fiber and a sheet of fiber glass cloth.
WebCam_20081125_2025.jpg

doesn't look to nice in this picture but here is one of the initial joints. three layers of fiber glass and the seat tube collar. this, of course, will be covered in hemp to make it look pretty.
WebCam_20081125_2024.jpg

current cost: $81
epoxy 56
hemp 19
fiber glass 6

predicting to be done by the weekend

the horror

I'm a latecomer to this thread... too bad. I'd have given you another frame to work on to save that bridgestone. Going from the first to the last page was like watching a snuff film with a grizzly ending!

I'm a latecomer to this thread... too bad. I'd have given you another frame to work on to save that bridgestone. Going from the first to the last page was like watching a snuff film with a grizzly ending!

you probably stole that frame.

Ta da!

well, after the much needed super pep talk from al415, i decided not to take any more pictures with the web cam..... so no 'making of' photos.

after 5 days of constant stickiness, here it is.

DSCN4486.jpg

i'm really happy with how it came out!

DSCN4487.jpg

Another angle

DSCN4488.jpg

rear binding

DSCN4489.jpg

bottom bracket binding

DSCN4494.jpg

less flattering photo w/ matching fork

the actual binding ended up being 10+ layers of fiber glass with a top layer of hemp to make it look snazzy.

the application of the hemp fiber actually took almost a full day. so i'm glad i didn't make it my primary binding method.

i hope you guys like it! it's gonna be run as an ss and i'll post pictures of it's final form when i get the parts. So, if anyone wants to donate handlebars, a quill stem, brown bar tape, brakes and/or levers, or maybe even a brown saddle, hit me up :D

total cost of frame: $90

Last edited:
shit is bananas

YO that shit is bananas. Much more pretty than my preview last week.

BUT dude what about the seat post clamp? :confused: Looks like there is no room. You gonna ride it like a trials bike? :p

I would donate parts but i don't have old skool stuff like that.
One mans trash is another mans treasure.
GIVE THIS KID YOUR JUNK!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom