Baldpate Conditions

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
meh

Conditions are still meh... some muddy spots on pleasant valley and honey hollow. The rest was pretty good though. more armoring on Pleasant valley will help. Not sure what to do with Honey Hollow...
The newly armored section looks and rides great. It's mostly rideable but It would be best to give it more time to dry out.
Tree still down by church road, big tree also down just before the trail with the stairs meets honey hollow/blue.

TeamMuddySprocket

hopefully we can get a larger group out there 5/4. Would be nice to keep armouring along pleasant valley and start cleaning up Honey Hollow...

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
hopefully we can get a larger group out there 5/4. Would be nice to keep armouring along pleasant valley and start cleaning up Honey Hollow...

I'll be out to play in the mud. Pleasant valley is fixable. the problem with Honey Hollow is that it's like all washed out fall line trail. No real way to fix or make it sustainable without significant reroutes.

TeamMuddySprocket

I'll be out to play in the mud. Pleasant valley is fixable. the problem with Honey Hollow is that it's like all washed out fall line trail. No real way to fix or make it sustainable without significant reroutes.

Most of baldpate is fall line :(

The flat entrance off church needs some regrading and a tree removed.. A start at least. Looking to ride Wednesday night there

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Conditions have improved quite a bit since last week. It's finally starting to dry out. :)

TeamMuddySprocket

Hiked through honey hollow w the kid at noon, big change from Wednesday night! Too bad the week looks wet...

Btw mike, did you ride with Jim? Thought I saw the yellow PU on my way home with Abby

Scottkw34

Heading to Balpate tomorrow in the AM. Anyone bin out there in the past couple of days? Must be dry by now?
Thanks,

ktmrider

I was there yesterday , i should have worn leg protection because its overgrown and my legs are shredded . Otherwise it was great

Scottkw34

I was there yesterday , i should have worn leg protection because its overgrown and my legs are shredded . Otherwise it was great

Thanks for the update.

yup, rode there today, arms were shredded pretty bad. When I walked in the house my wife thought my arms were sun burnt. My legs are always covered with compression stockings because of a blood clot i had back in March.

Had a really good time on the trails with two of my really good friends. As slightly out of shape forty-one year olds, we were all sucking wind pretty bad, had to walk up a few climbs too.

TeamMuddySprocket

rode through pleasant valley to red to ridge to honey hollow on sunday: pleasant valley wasnt' soo pleasant on the arms and legs.. needs a serious trimming. other trails were mostly dry and clear

case

BP in great condition, sticker bushes reaching out their limbs in spots but otherwise just fine! Greenway, eh not so much.

TeamMuddySprocket

Place is in great shape .. A lot of leaves on the ground hiding the rocks so be careful... Pleasant valley was in fantastic shape, the small reroute looks like it was always there, the stone bridges are more old than ever , the lower half along the power lines is trimmed hard and fast....

PSA, the tril ,noon as Carlos Trail is off limits, please stop riding so as to not jeopardize our usage of the park. Thanks.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Yeah, it's a shame. A fun trail indeed... so I've heard!
Hopefully we can move forward and build some trust with the county, eventually maybe they will let us adopt it but as of now they are not willing to compromise. I can't say I blame them because of how it came about. They have no reason to trust us. :(
We need more volunteers to come forward so we can show them what we can do...the right way.
FWIW, I have seen a bunch of hikers/runners etc coming out of the trail as well. That was before the signs though, not sure if they are following the rules too but we have no control over that. We don't enforce the rules, that's for the rangers to do.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Yeah, it's a shame. A fun trail indeed... so I've heard!
Hopefully we can move forward and build some trust with the county, eventually maybe they will let us adopt it but as of now they are not willing to compromise. I can't say I blame them because of how it came about. They have no reason to trust us. :(
We need more volunteers to come forward so we can show them what we can do...the right way.
FWIW, I have seen a bunch of hikers/runners etc coming out of the trail as well. That was before the signs though, not sure if they are following the rules too but we have no control over that. We don't enforce the rules, that's for the rangers to do.

mike is this that pine grove trail you pointed out the time we were there? was that a rogue trail?

Top Bottom