Baldpate Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Started working on the "moving escalator" on Copper East this morning. Some of the "water bar'ish" rock clusters that someone built long ago are far from being effective anymore. I quickly rebuilt one and half ripped out another. I also removed roughly 4000 golf ball to softball sized rocks and some piles of sediment that will cause issues with drainage. Down at the right hand turn with the "U" root, the trail was eroded about 4-6" below the root, so sadly I had to remove it, but I did reshape the trail around that, which will need to be filled in once it gets packed down more. I didnt really do anything to the "chute" section uphill from the U root or anything downhill from the U root. St

Last edited:

MtTrailz

There is a new path cut along the power lines to bypass the devastated Snake trail. The Trails4Tails charity races had a 50K trail run that previously used the Red trail and Snake trail. We cut a new path from the top of Snake, using the 'X' marked trail, dropping down to the power lines, then running out to existing Blue trail and Grist Mill trail to Pleasant Valley Rd. We weed wacked the path thru heavy brush. It wasn't great running yet did allow a reroute around the tornado destruction. Have not yet MTB road it.

Attachments

• BP-T4T-PwrLinePath1.png
    BP-T4T-PwrLinePath1.png
    268 KB · Views: 157

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is a new path cut along the power lines to bypass the devastated Snake trail. The Trails4Tails charity races had a 50K trail run that previously used the Red trail and Snake trail. We cut a new path from the top of Snake, using the 'X' marked trail, dropping down to the power lines, then running out to existing Blue trail and Grist Mill trail to Pleasant Valley Rd. We weed wacked the path thru heavy brush. It wasn't great running yet did allow a reroute around the tornado destruction. Have not yet MTB road it.
Was that approved by the park?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Happy to report that Copper East from the powerline lot to the connector trail has mostly been brought back to pre-Ida condition. It has also mostly been trimmed. I took out a number of derailleur destroying rocks this morning in the "chute" section of the trail. There is still some work that needs to happen but it is much improved. I also trimmed the whole connector and from the connector back up to the powerline on Green/Kuser trail. Dirt conditions are awesome rn.

MtTrailz

Was that approved by the park?
Yes. The park had given approval for the race before the tornados. They were accommodating and let us cut the path, which was basically clearing what was the old access along the power line towers. Things were so overgrown that we did have a few turns to avoid going thru really nasty stuff.

MtTrailz

Happy to report that Copper East from the powerline lot to the connector trail has mostly been brought back to pre-Ida condition. It has also mostly been trimmed. I took out a number of derailleur destroying rocks this morning in the "chute" section of the trail. There is still some work that needs to happen but it is much improved. I also trimmed the whole connector and from the connector back up to the powerline on Green/Kuser trail. Dirt conditions are awesome rn.
The Copper 'Chute' section was always a challenge to run on. Since the recent storms it has been really rutted and more challenging. Thanks for cleaning that up somewhat.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The Copper 'Chute' section was always a challenge to run on. Since the recent storms it has been really rutted and more challenging. Thanks for cleaning that up somewhat.
It is pretty amazing to see how that has eroded over the years. At this point it is almost 2' lower than the original surface, which is why there are rocks sticking out the side of the chute. I am going to look at options of moving the chute section to the right side and also down at the right turn, cutting a huge nic.

MtTrailz

I road the new bypass path along the power lines yesterday (mentioned above). It's a nice descent on 'X' trail from the top of Snake, then a steep drop down to the bottom of the tower, then along the power lines. Much of is is cut or flattened brush, with some stubble. The outbound towards Grist Mill trail and Pleasant Valley road is mostly down hill, so a nice fast ride. Coming back is a bit of a long slog as you climb back up. Had to bike-hike the two climbs toward the end. It certainly is a poor substitute for the Snake trail experience, though it does provide access to North entrance from PV Rd.

MtTrailz

FYI, trees have fallen in 3 spots on the lower half of the Green Kuser Trail. I tried removing some of the smaller branches and vines, but didn't have anything with me to clear the trees themselves. Not big trunks, but they do block the trail.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The new down tree on Kuser trail has been taken care of. The lower one I had removed the other day.

More work on copper East. Refined the turn onto no horse, where i was slowly moving displaced stone the last few times I was there. It is finally a stable trail surface and I shaped and stamped it more today. Worked on a few other tight spots. Maybe only one or two more areas to work on but it is pretty good as is.

Last edited:

MtTrailz

The new down tree on Kuser trail has been taken care of. The lower one I had removed the other day.

More work on copper East. Refined the turn onto no horse, where i was slowly moving displaced stone the last few times I was there. It is finally a stable trail surface and I shaped and stamped it more today. Worked on a few other tight spots. Maybe only one or two more areas to work on but it is pretty good as is.
Thanks for all your hard work. I did notice some changes on Copper East recently. (I call that section Deception Trail - it starts off flat and smooth, then gets a bit rocky, then gets really technical and steep.) It is one of my favorite trails for running, though a bit beyond my current MTB skills. Will need to work on that.

MtTrailz

Yes, the Red trail, along with most of things north of the White Ridge trail, was demolished. Glad the park is continuing to clear some areas.
Just rode there tonight. Red is clear! It's wild how many trees had to be cleared- can see them trailside.

MtTrailz

Mercer County has hired a professional 'Culling' company who will be active in Bald Pate Feb thru end of March. Much of their work will be sunset to 9pm, with apparently bow and shotgun hunting. Also, the park will be closed March 17-19 and March 24-26 for shotgun culling.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Couple updates:
Last week, the park's tree contractor opened up the backside of the park, the Pleasant Valley trail between the the NW loop and the powerlines:
1643380620111.png

This was the area hardest hit by the nado. It is quite a sight to be seen in person. The trail itself has been re-routed in a couple different areas and needs quite a bit of clean up, but you can get through.

Not shown on the map, but the unapproved snake trail is fully open also. This is an ongoing discussion with the park to legalize this.

Had a meeting with the park yesterday and they are having a change over of staff and I am dealing with new people. The foundation I have built over the last 5 years is strong and we have a list of items to advance in 2022. More to come on that...

Top Bottom