Baldpate Conditions

carvegybe

Thank you for the TM. I ride Baldpate enough to have accumulated some TM debt that I'm happy to repay if there is a more coordinated effort.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thank you for the TM. I ride Baldpate enough to have accumulated some TM debt that I'm happy to repay if there is a more coordinated effort.
Yes, so per the park, group TM activities are on hold right now. Once I have approval to lead a TM group, I will post it on here. I have approval to fix the modholes on the Ridge Trail, two of which I have already addressed. The biggest one, which is near the old house, need some armoring so that will be helpful to have some help.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I finished Trimming the small section of Copper east and cut back the log that is parallel to the trail.

Also this morning trimmed the top and the bottom of snake so now all of snake is full open. The trail leading up to snake is going to need trimmed very soon but it’s not too bad right now.
EE699B7C-30B2-4070-9341-BC60B7D8D1CD.jpeg
A9EA59FA-3C52-490B-93ED-617ED2A79852.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So yeah, Isaias, went ti check the damage this morning.

One, as expected, every trail is littered with small debris.

I came in from Church Rd / Washington's Crossing. Immediately met with two trees down on the 2 x 6 bridges, one completely blocking the trail. Going up the green trail, I cleared a few 4" branches / trees and then found a 24" dead tree blocking the trail. I continued to clear small stuff and then found lower no horse t be completely blocked from a 12" tree that fell.
89A56FCD-044A-4E5C-9B30-0DCF51F30616.jpeg

I cleared that mess and was able to push the trunk parallel to the side.

The remainder of the green trail is open with lots of small debris. I rode down the ridge trail to the snake connector and that was clear.

I didnt have time to keep going so went back down Copper East (which has been amazing the last month) to find one giant branch blocking the trail, which I could not move, so I moved on. And then found this right as the trail gets steep: Big ole' fart noise.

E5A600A8-6751-4A9D-A995-CF706FF72A88.jpeg

This was really hard to climb through with a bike, it is 2-3 trees that fell and the top of one of the trees fell right on the trail, i.e., need to dismantle the whole thing just to get to the trunk. In any case, the trail is 100% blocked there. Continued on to no horse, which is open, just a crap ton of debris.

Park staff has been alerted of everything I saw, which I would think they will get the stuff near Chruch relatively quickly. I continue chipping away at it.

Let me know of issues elsewhere in the park.

Thanks!

rick81721

Lothar
So yeah, Isaias, went ti check the damage this morning.

One, as expected, every trail is littered with small debris.

I came in from Church Rd / Washington's Crossing. Immediately met with two trees down on the 2 x 6 bridges, one completely blocking the trail. Going up the green trail, I cleared a few 4" branches / trees and then found a 24" dead tree blocking the trail. I continued to clear small stuff and then found lower no horse t be completely blocked from a 12" tree that fell.
View attachment 136334
I cleared that mess and was able to push the trunk parallel to the side.

The remainder of the green trail is open with lots of small debris. I rode down the ridge trail to the snake connector and that was clear.

I didnt have time to keep going so went back down Copper East (which has been amazing the last month) to find one giant branch blocking the trail, which I could not move, so I moved on. And then found this right as the trail gets steep: Big ole' fart noise.

View attachment 136335

This was really hard to climb through with a bike, it is 2-3 trees that fell and the top of one of the trees fell right on the trail, i.e., need to dismantle the whole thing just to get to the trunk. In any case, the trail is 100% blocked there. Continued on to no horse, which is open, just a crap ton of debris.

Park staff has been alerted of everything I saw, which I would think they will get the stuff near Chruch relatively quickly. I continue chipping away at it.

Let me know of issues elsewhere in the park.

Thanks!

more importantly, how are the trails? muddy??

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As of yesterday: I finished clearing the two trees block Copper Hill East trail. Someone had started the big one, apparently with an axe/hatchet an I finished it off. I also raked most of the debris piles / back drainage areas and opened up drainage on the DH side of the trail on the rocky section of Copper East down to the bottom of no horse (the connector trail to Kuser Trail).

The large log on Kuser Trail was removed by someone else. It is an unknown if the trees are still blocking the Kuser Trail entrance from Church.

Snake is clear, but alittle grown in, and the connector over to read is clear as well. On the top of the Red climb @ the ridge trail, two trees down.

Now for the bad news, the Summit Trail from near the over look, has 8-10 climb-over trees down between the Ridge Trail and the next intersection. However, one of the trail stewards is meeting a volunteer this morning to address it. The bottom of that section is also really grown in.

Ridge trail is 100%open.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
As of yesterday: I finished clearing the two trees block Copper Hill East trail. Someone had started the big one, apparently with an axe/hatchet an I finished it off. I also raked most of the debris piles / back drainage areas and opened up drainage on the DH side of the trail on the rocky section of Copper East down to the bottom of no horse (the connector trail to Kuser Trail).

The large log on Kuser Trail was removed by someone else. It is an unknown if the trees are still blocking the Kuser Trail entrance from Church.

Snake is clear, but alittle grown in, and the connector over to read is clear as well. On the top of the Red climb @ the ridge trail, two trees down.

Now for the bad news, the Summit Trail from near the over look, has 8-10 climb-over trees down between the Ridge Trail and the next intersection. However, one of the trail stewards is meeting a volunteer this morning to address it. The bottom of that section is also really grown in.

Ridge trail is 100%open.

Are you using child labor?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Saturday August 15 Blue Trail not far from the ranger station has two big trees across it. One had been sawn, so someone is aware. The rest is open, trails are good.
Are you referencing the summit trail off of the gravel road? From Isais I counted 8-10 large trees down on that tree. I know Alex was working to clean it up but as of this morning, there are still 3 complete tree blockers right before the first rock steps. I didn’t go any further down.

In any case, IDK what to call that grass that grows along every trail in our area, But from here on out, it will be called Devil Grass. I cleared said grass on Copper East from the upper lot to where it gets rocky, this morning. Should be the last time it needs trimming this season. Trail trend is amazing right now...

MtTrailz

I noticed this evening that the Copper Hill Trail off the White Ridge Trail is closed due to a hornets nest (taped off with sign). I think the entrance from the parking lot to Copper Hill is still open.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does Baldplate drain well enough for a post work ride today? I'm in Newtown and figured I would have some fun before the 1:45 minute ride home.

Don't want to damage the trails, so no biggie if today isn't the best idea.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Does Baldplate drain well enough for a post work ride today? I'm in Newtown and figured I would have some fun before the 1:45 minute ride home.

You should be ok, roots and rocks will be slick but wont be much mud.

MtTrailz

Reggie, most trails should be OK. The Red Trail, that runs off the White Ridge Trail will likely be muddy at its lowest points. Also the bottom of the switchback trail (near power lines) also will have some mud.

Top Bottom