Bad snakes at Baldpate

Kaleidopete

Dsc06744.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
Talk about bad luck - he must have either stepped on it or right in front of its head to get bit. I think I've seen 2 copperheads ever.

Last edited:

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was in Lewmo a few weeks back and mentioned it smelled like cucumbers, the guy behind me on the ride said that means a copperhead is in the area. some google searches say this isn't true, other articles say it is. Either way it creeped the f*ck out me.

BPaze

Guy most definitely stepped on or right next to it. It was in the trail and was 10:30 at night probably just didn't see it. Very lucky it was at the end, not that he would have necessarily died but couldve been worse.

rick81721

Lothar
Coppeheads obviously, what a silly question!

It's funny - hold a cucumber up to your nose - what do you smell? Nothing. Cut it in half, and until you get the cut part within a few inches of your nose, you still smell nothing. It's like saying something smells like a brick!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I was in Lewmo a few weeks back and mentioned it smelled like cucumbers, the guy behind me on the ride said that means a copperhead is in the area. some google searches say this isn't true, other articles say it is. Either way it creeped the f*ck out me.

It's not true.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

It's very much true !! Girl I work with BF is a snake handler, that's how I found out after mentioning to her one day about smelling cucumber on the trails in Dickerson Mine. And besides, isn't everything you read on the internet true??

DO YOU SMELL CUCUMBER?​

A unique trait to the copperhead, some allege, is that it smells like cucumber when it’s angry.

If someone’s out doing yard work and a smell wafts by reminiscent of freshly chopped salad, then odds are good they’re within striking distance of an unhappy copperhead, according to the folk wisdom of some.

This isn’t outright false, but it is misleading.

Johnny Utah

I saw a rattlesnake pit in Montana, I think it was the creepiest thing I ever saw. There had to be 30+ all crawling over each other. No thanks.

one piece crank

The old Scout Camp up by @mattybfat is a micro-dense area for rattlesnakes. I camped there as a kid and never saw one. As an adult, after the camp became weekend only use, I would see one every time I camped in rattlesnake approved weather. I would not walk the paths without a headlamp. I could also smell them 20-30ft away, and they did smell like puked-up cucumbers. So there…

Oh, I know a guy that catches and tags copperheads. I’ll ask him.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The old Scout Camp up by @mattybfat is a micro-dense area for rattlesnakes. I camped there as a kid and never saw one. As an adult, after the camp became weekend only use, I would see one every time I camped in rattlesnake approved weather. I would not walk the paths without a headlamp. I could also smell them 20-30ft away, and they did smell like puked-up cucumbers. So there…

Oh, I know a guy that catches and tags copperheads. I’ll ask him.
Yards Creek? The Appalachian mountain was loaded with both rattlers and copperhead when I was a kid. My uncle lived even closer then I did and would have to shoot them on a regular as they always camped out on the porch/back deck. Not so much of them these days. Both are highly protected now as they are #1 for tick defense.

Top Bottom