Bad ideas from FB marketplace.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I saw this killer revamped older Stumpjumper and it gave me ideas. i own the same basic bike which I bought new. Kinda keeping it as a museum piece, it’s in very nice shape with decent parts (circa 90’s) but I never ride it.
Plus I’m kinda looking for a project.

Plan A: find a fork and drivetrain and redo the old Stumpjumper.
Plan B: Get a Bluto for the Beargrease and just ride that more.
Plan C: buy a slack hardtail frame and swap all the parts from the Process.
Plan Z0DYA7: Buy new bike.

D58AA9CC-0B05-4648-B02E-F8EE105EB8DB.jpeg

Ian F

I've thought about a "town" bike, but none of the old frames I have really get my juices flowing enough to actually go through with it. Maybe my Indy Fab, but not really. Definitely not my old Cannondale. And my Lawwill just wouldn't really work well as a town bike, unless the goal is "totally inappropriate looking." The only vintage bike I kind of want is to find another Head 610 like I had ages ago. Not because it was such a great bike (it wasn't), but because it was just so different. In the meantime, my "town bike" will be my Chameleon with street tires.

So right now my plan is to sell off all of my old vintage stuff and wait. If the right bike comes along, yay. If not - I already have way more projects outside of bikes to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

one piece crank

It would make a fun around town bike with some changes. The low front end and the ridiculous chain slap are the two most annoying items.
I spent so much time on Fat Chances in the 80's-90's that my '89 Wicked feels like "home". Unfortunately, there is no real 'town' riding around here, so it's 100% rigid Fat Bike for me. I'm trying to sort through my Vintage stuff, maybe cut it down to only what I need/cannot replace.

Last edited:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I put a wide bar on my 90s rockhopper. It transforred how it rode.
Get a mastodon fork for the fattie, I heard it's better.

Then buy a slack hardtail

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Parts bin special. I can go 2x for no cost except a 10 speed chain.
1x: another forum member is selling a slx crank and ring (which I plan to grab anyway). I’d need a new BB assuming a regular English threaded will work.

Or, they do sell 5 bolt narrow-wide rings and use the stock cranks.

Still need a fork and maybe tires. Maybe just do the drivetrain and see how I like it.

Attachments

• 0D3EEBB4-7BF6-4F8F-BB22-DA88521A2268.jpeg
    0D3EEBB4-7BF6-4F8F-BB22-DA88521A2268.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom