Backyard Setup

don

Posted this over on Ridemonkey.

For the past few years I've been farting around with a ramp/dirt jump setup in my backyard near my garage. When we got the house there was some garbage and a bunch of nasty bamboo in the area.

The first year I started with a treefort for the kids and clear most of the bamboo. 2nd year saw a mini ramp and some dirt jumps.

Mid summer last year I got fustrated with the setup and decided to start over and make it bigger and get it as dialed as I could. Here are the current pics:

Backyard_Deck.jpg

Standing on the main deck

Backyard_Spine.jpg

View from the spine

Backyard_Concrete.jpg

2nd transition, wood on the left, concrete on the right. The concrete lip was from the old setup and was mostly an experiment. It was a huge PITA to move into spot were it is now

Backyard_1st_Landing.jpg

1st landing. You use the 2nd transition to jump into this thing. The kiddie line is on the right (or left in this picture). I used landscape 6x6 timbers to hold the dirt nice and together.

don

More pics:

Backyard_2nd_Set.jpg

1st dirt set - the run is basically drop in, spine, wood tranny to dirt landing, then to this dirt spine sorta thing. Next is the berm that goes underneath the tree fort.

Backyard_2nd_Set_Side.jpg

Side view of the dirt set. Again kiddie line on the right (closer in the pic)

Backyard_Berm.jpg

Berm. Impossible to get a good shot of this as it's very shaded. It needs some work but it's a good size.

Backyard_Roller.jpg

Roller, small set that will head back up hill. I am at this section now as you can see. Need to finish the retaining wall on the left. Eventually I will add on to the ramp and will put a transition up by the garage wall, by the rakes

don

It's need some more TLC and I think I'm going to fix the ramp even more as it needs a new topsheet of ply in many sections. The spine is tight and would be easier having it wider. I want to make the "kiddie" line easier/more fun.

Mentally I'm thinking mid summer for the 4th round of changes. It never ends...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
re: people coming over and riding.

it would be a VERY good idea to have a waiver typed up and make everyone that comes to ride there sign a copy the first time. it's not that big of a hassle. my firend justin had a double mini(X setup) in his backyard and we all signed the waiver. luckily none of us ever got hurt, but......

don

:eek: friggin awesome!
does it loop around?

Not yet :D

Part of my original to do list - add a tranny to the garage wall on the last pic where the rake and pick axe are. Then you could either go straight back down or get back into the kiddie line.

don

re: people coming over and riding.

it would be a VERY good idea to have a waiver typed up and make everyone that comes to ride there sign a copy the first time. it's not that big of a hassle. my firend justin had a double mini(X setup) in his backyard and we all signed the waiver. luckily none of us ever got hurt, but......

Very good point. Chances are it will be just me and my family riding this and maybe very close friends. Not be anti-social, I just don't want crews showing up and expecting to ride.

don

Party at Dons house!!!!

just kidding, just kidding

nice yard!

Thanks. I wish I had a few acres semi-remotely. I'd get it very dialed and have no problem having it open for cook out ride parties. Home stuff is a little different as many of you could understand. Maybe someday I'll get the dream setup :hmmm:

NJ Jess

Dedication

Don, you are one dedicated man. To continue your love and interest in biking at that scale is way cool. When JORBA gets the opportunity to make a true skills park in NJ,...we are going to call on you. Keep pedaling the fun stuff!

don

Don, you are one dedicated man. To continue your love and interest in biking at that scale is way cool. When JORBA gets the opportunity to make a true skills park in NJ,...we are going to call on you. Keep pedaling the fun stuff!

Thanks for the props Jess. This is actually on the mellow side from stuff I've built. Definitely give me a call when the skills park goes down - I have some good ideas to make it a fun place for all ages and skills.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
nice work! that's awesome!

i cant wait to get a yard... i dont know if my condo association would appreciate a pump track in the middle of our 'common area' :D

NJMX835

nice work! that's awesome!

i cant wait to get a yard... i dont know if my condo association would appreciate a pump track in the middle of our 'common area' :D

Well, you know they say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission..... or maybe not :D

Top Bottom