Backcountry Splitboarding

Gene

The Dancing Machine
With 2020-2021 being the year of "anti social" (board name reference for Burton Splitboard) I think it is finally time to hang up the snowshoes and convert to a Splitboard.

I've been doing my research on boards. It seems the best "new" splitboard is either the Jones Solution or Weston.

For East Coast resorts it seems most allow uphill travel so that 5+ minutes of sitting next to a stranger can be avoided.
Uphill Travel

This doesn't include of course the Thunderbolt and other backcountry areas in the Whiteface area.

My vision of going west will be delayed this winter so why not consider this option... Am I crazy? ... Don't need to answer that, my wife already told me. Anyone else considering this same option?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if only it snowed here - pipeline repeats!

been eyeing them, but can't justify it - although next year with my son off to college......

one piece crank

I never knew this existed - very cool.

I set my sons up with Altai skis a couple years ago, and regularly borrow them...:)

gcab

I've been considering one for a few seasons now. But for me, its mostly access. If I'm driving 5+ hours to Vermont I want to get as many runs in as possible with the limited number of trips I make. If we lived closer or it was more convenient or I could do it in the poconos, then I would be tempted for sure.

The other option is to do the self made split, which I have also considered, taking an old board, ripping it down the middle and adding the bindings. There are kits available to do this. However first priority for me with my most recently replaced board is to cut the tail shape and make it a swallow tail powder board!

Last edited:

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I am more quality and quantity. I've done enough ice runs on the east coast to appreciate what is lurking in the woods to go to...

Besides uphill access on the trails and going to a hiking trail outside of a resort, Bolton Valley has had some good info around not only uphill travel, but a dedicated backcountry alongside Mt Mansfield without having to pay Stowe prices.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Yeah. I have a couple friends up north that are into the whole “earn your turns” thing but they both ski. I’ve snowboarded my whole life so this is interesting.
Nice. Splitboarding reduces the yelling of skiers on the skin track from snowshoeing 😂

Top Bottom