Auto Financing Options

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
My lease is up in a month and I want to purchase the vehicle. I'm getting rate quotes of 5.9 - 6.8%, which I think is insane. My credit is excellent and I was hoping to get an auto loan around 5%. Is this just wishful thinking? Does anyone have ideas or know where I can get a reasonable rate? :shrug:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yea thats where the rates are these days, unfortunately. Unless you are buying new and get a mfg promo rate. (i was offered (didnt take) a rate in the mid 4s on a new car loan early august from a local credit union, with excellent credit). On a used car your options are more limited (mfgs dont offer loans on used cars unfortunately for you)

Reactions: don

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Could be wrong but I was told used car loan rates are just higher than new car loans

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Used car rates are higher than new car rates. Not sure why but lease buyout rates are even higher than that.

risk. used car prices are unusually high right now.
if they fall, and people go upside-down on the loan, they'll just stop paying and turn in the car.

take out a home equity loan, claim you are renovating your kitchen,
pay off car. pay off loan like your life depends on it.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
risk. used car prices are unusually high right now.
if they fall, and people go upside-down on the loan, they'll just stop paying and turn in the car.

take out a home equity loan, claim you are renovating your kitchen,
pay off car. pay off loan like your life depends on it.
Ugh. I hear you 😔. Not a bad plan.

Patrick

Staff member
Ugh. I hear you 😔. Not a bad plan.

i should restate - home equity line of credit. an open HELOC is good for 10 years.
your credit union should be the best place to source it.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
i should restate - home equity line of credit. an open HELOC is good for 10 years.
your credit union should be the best place to source it.
So you’re saying take a HELOC at ~5% and use that to purchase the car … correct?

iman29

FWIW I had a 2019 Honda Odyssey coming off lease with only 22K miles back in July. It sat mostly in my garage during COVID. I researched everything and every possible way to extract the inflated value out of the car since I was so far under the miles (3 year 36K). Loan rates were not as bad as now but we’re all higher than a new car or lease.

My payoff was only 22,500 but this car was selling everywhere for 35K or more. However Honda doesn’t let you sell any leases anymore.

I was able to negotiate a value for the car from the dealer as if I was selling it to Carvana. and he applied that as credit to my new lease and even carried it forward when he realized he could only get a 2023 model since 2022 were done being made.

Even tho I paid a $2500 markup on the new lease I am still paying less per month than if I bought the 3 year old car and had to get a used car warranty (because shit always breaks when it’s off warranty ).

Used car loans always cost more tho in my experience and may not be worth it depending on your personal situation.

Just my 2.5 cents

Patrick

Staff member
So you’re saying take a HELOC at ~5% and use that to purchase the car … correct?
Yes. They will use a 10 year payoff so the monthly payment will be lower, so you pay ahead. The interest is deductible along with mortgage interest. No prepayment penalty.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Managed to qualify for a “loyalty program” with my credit union. They are giving me 4.8% on 60 months. I don’t think I’m finding anything better, even on a HELOC, but I’ll keep looking.

Top Bottom