ATV's are tearing it up!!!

My favorite ATV sighting..

I was in Philly for the Interbike east (early 90's??) and we were driving home. We were stopped at a red light when we suddenly saw what looked like Fat Albert on a three wheeler riding in traffic. Fat Albert had on ski goggles and no helmet but was doing like 60 MPH in traffic.

Not long after that we saw about 10 other guys from the Fat Albert gang on Dirtbikes and ATV's. They were in and out of traffic, running lights and jumping curbs.

Many of these guys were on really little bikes but some had adult sized bikes. They actually rode really well.

It seemed like the cops didn't care since they wold just cause mayhem in a pursuit. It was really funny in a way..

CEM was with me.. Maybe he remembers this differently.
I wasn't with you, but we had the same experience, around the same time, and in the same place. Outrageous. A bunch of guys on 3 wheelers and quads, blasting through South Philly, doing block-long wheelies. I'll never forget it.

:mad2:

I didn't see the result first hand but I got a call this morning from a customer who saw a large group of ATV's and Dirtbikes out at six mile on Sunday.

The guy who called me said that stopped them and told them that it was illegal and that they needed to leave at once.

If you see anyone out there on anything motorized you need to stop them and let them know that they are in the wrong.

Don't be afraid to take a stand.

Call the police at once.

This needs to stop.

If they are caught riding here the police may seize their machines. Let them know that it is a serous offense and that the police and the park service will not tolerate ATVs on the trails.

Luckily it was still pretty frozen but they did do some limited damage from the report I got.

The damage that ATV's can do in one day can easily undo multiple years of hard trail work.

*It is worth noting that I personally have owned ATV's and dirtbikes in the past and i know how much fun they can be. This is NOT the place to ride them**

It would be really great if the mtb community could keep an eye out for the ATV in this park. I hate to repeat what others have said but it bears it:

if you see an atv, try and talk to them and make them understand that we work very hard on these trails, and the torque of these vehicles really destroys our hard work. if they're cool, they should understand. tell them we are just concerned about the single track and we're not looking to police the fireroads and pipeline cuts. if they give you a baditude, don't confront them let them go... but i do have to recommend, sadly that you report them quickly to the local police first, followed by the park police. Jdog or JP, please post these phone numbers for the locals so they can plug them into the phones. JP was talking about a patrol so if you're interested in a patrol PM Wobbegong. The more we're out there, the more they tend to stay off the single track.

I am seeing similar shit in Jungle Habitat, so I know how close this hits to the heart. I am stopping all the ATV'ers I see when I am there in an attempt to reason with them. Its a hard, hard battle however.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/commissioner/policy/orvpolicy.htm

"The use of ORVs shall be prohibited on lands owned, managed, maintained or under the jurisdiction of the Department, including any and all lands held jointly with any other party ("public lands"). There are certain limited exceptions to this general policy. On public lands, Class I ORVs shall only be operated on highways and roads, and only if in addition, the ORV is operated in accordance with Title 39 and the highway or road is designed and marked by the State for such operation. On public lands, Class II ORVs shall only be operated in areas designated and marked by the State for such operation and with a special use permit issued by the Department of Environmental Protection."

More reading: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/releases/03_0119.htm

Royal waste of money/Time

I got a call this morning from a State Park Police officer responding to an e-mail that i had sent to the parks dept about ATV use at 6m.

I was happy to hear that the Park was taking this seriously!

He called me at 11am asking is I would take him out to show him 1st hand so that he could gather evidence of ATV use on state land.

I told him that:

1). it was pouring rain
2). I had to work
3). We would still see no ATVs in use on a weekday.

He said that he had to go out there TODAY and get evidence. (he was ON the case!)

I said I wouldn't be able to join but I gave him good directions and wished him good luck.

Just now.. 5 hours later he called the shop again. He was still lost wandering in the rain, hot on the trail of ATV evidence. Perhaps the renegade ATV users left some fingerprints in the mud??

He had not found the correct area of the park but he had found THE park!

Additionally I asked him if he had google earth to better find his way. It was upsetting to hear that he did not have the use of a computer.

Perhaps the ATV users will notice that people care what happens out in the woods.

Last edited:
J I think you need to cut him some serious slack. You got a response to your email, which is awesome. The guy probably decided to go there today because it was raining and his LT assigned the job to him. What better to do on a rainy day shift than investigate illegal ATV riding? Maybe he actually figured the tracks would be gone if it pissed rain on them all day? Maybe he longed for a nice rainy sunset at six mile?

I am sure slamming him publicly, where anyone who has a computer can do a google search and see this thread as the FIRST hit, isnt the best thing for the situation. (njdep ATV six mile run is what i searched).

J I think you need to cut him some serious slack. You got a response to your email, which is awesome. The guy probably decided to go there today because it was raining and his LT assigned the job to him. What better to do on a rainy day shift than investigate illegal ATV riding? Maybe he actually figured the tracks would be gone if it pissed rain on them all day? Maybe he longed for a nice rainy sunset at six mile?

I am sure slamming him publicly, where anyone who has a computer can do a google search and see this thread as the FIRST hit, isnt the best thing for the situation. (njdep ATV six mile run is what i searched).

you are right.. But it is still funny.

There wasn't much of sunset today. iwonder if he is still out there??

The ATVS are still out there.

If you see them you need to stop them in their tracks and make a stand.

I heard from a customer that someone was out there with a chainsaw this weekend widening the trails so they could fit an ATV through.

I have been sick so I haven't been out in a bit but I plan to get out there shortly to inspect the damage.

The trails are frozen now but once it gets warmer they will really f'k things up.

I am so bummed about this.

The ATVS are still out there.

If you see them you need to stop them in their tracks and make a stand.

I heard from a customer that someone was out there with a chainsaw this weekend widening the trails so they could fit an ATV through.

I have been sick so I haven't been out in a bit but I plan to get out there shortly to inspect the damage.

The trails are frozen now but once it gets warmer they will really f'k things up.

I am so bummed about this.

Not good at all. Was anything said to them? We need to step up and stop this kind of activity, along with reporting it to the police.

Please put this number in your cell phones and call if you see this happening.

Franklin Township Police - (732)873-2300.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions