ATV Illegal Use Reporting

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The trend over the past few years has been to take a hard line against them, enacting state wide laws and local ordinances. This was partly fueled by the WMA police officer that was run over, injuries to kids and the envori lobby. Problem is that ownership has proliferated so widely that the local cops ride them , every other household up north has one.

Faced with that reality it is my opinion that the best way to move forward is to sanction regulated use and form a new land management division with a sales tax, registration fees and fines. We have been spending millions each year for open space aquisition and will soon tap out the supply. Makes sense to then move on to resource management. Lets direct some money to make new state jobs so we don't have to give up so many weekends workin the dirt.

Good luck with that. My CRF450R for instance cannot be titled because of already installed state regulations. Sales tax? I would not buy a bike in this state anyway, went to PA and saved $1500. Sanction regulated use? They are illeagal to ride anywhere already. Still has done nothing for the problem.

NJMX835

Well that happens on discussion boards, but out on the trails I have run into many many quad guys on my bike and have yet to get into an argument with one bc I was on a 2 wheeler. I definetly get more crap from the 2-stroke kool-aid drinkers than I do from quad guys.

You're not one of those four stroke types are you?

Oh, I can't associate with your kind.... :D

I wonder how many current & former moto guys (& gals) there are on this forum.

Quite frankly if there was anywhere left to ride my CR250 (hear that four stroke lover? :D) in NJ I probably would never have discovered moutain biking & therefore wouldn't be annoying everyone on this forum right now.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You're not one of those four stroke types are you?

Oh, I can't associate with your kind.... :D

I wonder how many current & former moto guys (& gals) there are on this forum.

Quite frankly if there was anywhere left to ride my CR250 (hear that four stroke lover? :D) in NJ I probably would never have discovered moutain biking & therefore wouldn't be annoying everyone on this forum right now.

Oh no, a 2 smoker!! DONT HATE ME for my love of valves and camshafts :D I had a CR-250 also, I miss it whenever (very rarely) I take the CRF into really technical trails. But def. not on the mx track.

Same reason I bought my mtn bike. Driving to englishtown and PA on the weekends is fine, but I need some way to occupy my time during the week. I mean while I was never big into trail riding in NJ, I used to love going to the pit off RT-15 (near the exxon or whatever it is now) outside of Mahlon. That place was perfect to turn laps on. It kills me that this state will not even allow that. I mean I dont mind if it was an old toxic waste site or a former army ammo dump, I'll take any piece of land that nobody else wants. I think most ATV guys would be fine with riding in an abandoned mine that looks like an old bombing range. Nobody is asking for access to Lewis Morris.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Have you ever thought about it from their perspective? Or that this new trail of yours is an old route of theirs? I know certain types of riding situations for MTB riders occur few and far between, but you have to realize that the same applies for quaders. Perhaps the one spot with enough rocks to make it fun for you is also the one place with enough of a grade and whatever element it may be to make it fun for them.

Jeff - I hear you, however in both instances that I spoke of they are new trails that were approved by the Park.

NJMX - If it were illegal to ride our bikes I would fight against it. Like we (the bike community) is doing at South Mountain. BTW I dont hate motos (I do hate quads), I have three in my garage (pointed this out on that other board as well).

It all comes down to resp use and how to go about getting access. Do the work. If there are so many people that want someplace legal to ride then they should get togheter and lobby for it. Its not that hard, but you do have to work at it. It happens in other states, but not here in NJ. Why does eveyone like to bitch (can I say that here) and feel entitiled - but not do the work to get access? Look at all the great multi use trails out west, miles upon miles worth!!!

NJMX835

Oh no, a 2 smoker!! DONT HATE ME for my love of valves and camshafts :D I had a CR-250 also, I miss it whenever (very rarely) I take the CRF into really technical trails. But def. not on the mx track.

Same reason I bought my mtn bike. Driving to englishtown and PA on the weekends is fine, but I need some way to occupy my time during the week. I mean while I was never big into trail riding in NJ, I used to love going to the pit off RT-15 (near the exxon or whatever it is now) outside of Mahlon. That place was perfect to turn laps on. It kills me that this state will not even allow that. I mean I dont mind if it was an old toxic waste site or a former army ammo dump, I'll take any piece of land that nobody else wants. I think most ATV guys would be fine with riding in an abandoned mine that looks like an old bombing range. Nobody is asking for access to Lewis Morris.

I never enjoyed the 250 in the woods too much, too rocky & tight in North NJ for that kind of powerband & suspension, now a small bore four stroke would be perfect, wish I still had my DR125, would be a perfect playbike.

I've ridden that pit, we used to ride from Berkshire Valley Road in West Milford to there & back on the regular about 10 years ago.

To be honest, I don;t think I barely ever rode any parkland, we never had to back in the day, there were tons of spots down the shore or out in the LI Pinebarrens that were much more fun, they are all gone now.

That's probably why you see so much riding in the parks, there's precious few other places left unless you count gaslines & powerlines.

As far as organizing goes, there is the NJOHVA, (http://www.njohva.org/) but the director of the DEC has a major h*rd-on for OHV's & let's face it, it's a bit more difficult to put a 'PC' face on quad's & dirt bikes the way you can with mountain bikes.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff - I hear you, however in both instances that I spoke of they are new trails that were approved by the Park.

NJMX - If it were illegal to ride our bikes I would fight against it. Like we (the bike community) is doing at South Mountain. BTW I dont hate motos (I do hate quads), I have three in my garage (pointed this out on that other board as well).

It all comes down to resp use and how to go about getting access. Do the work. If there are so many people that want someplace legal to ride then they should get togheter and lobby for it. Its not that hard, but you do have to work at it. It happens in other states, but not here in NJ. Why does eveyone like to bitch (can I say that here) and feel entitiled - but not do the work to get access? Look at all the great multi use trails out west, miles upon miles worth!!!

Bob, there are MANY orgainizations fighting this fight. NJOHVA, JORVA, Jersey devil, the AMA, Redline, South Jersey ATV. You have no idea the work they put in just to keep NJ from banning the sale of atvs.

Bob W

JORBA.ORG
Ooops...

Bob, there are MANY orgainizations fighting this fight. NJOHVA, JORVA, Jersey devil, the AMA, Redline, South Jersey ATV. You have no idea the work they put in just to keep NJ from banning the sale of atvs.

Actually I do, I was actually speaking figuratively! BTW, don't for get the Blueribbon Coalition!!! I have been AMA member in the past, not anymore shame on me.

Just to give you a little more info on my moto support background. When the State decided to not allow the enduro to run in the park I talked to the Superintendent (as a mnt biker) on behalf of the Ridge Riders. I am friends with several people that are/were members of the Ridge Riders at that time.

NJMX835

Bob, I had a extensive 'closing arguement' type of response typed up & closed the browser by mistake.

Suffice it to say that there are groups like NJOHVA fighting for land access in NJ, but the political climate in this state towards OHV's is attrocious which is especially ironic given how many taxpaying citizens own one.

I'm going to drop this as I do see your side of the issue & do appreciate all the work that guys like you do to ensure miles of singletrack is available for me to ride on a weekly basis.

I'm just trying to help everyone see both sides of the issue, that's all.

NJMX835

Actually I do, I was actually speaking figuratively! BTW, don't for get the Blueribbon Coalition!!! I have been AMA member in the past, not anymore shame on me.

Just to give you a little more info on my moto support background. When the State decided to not allow the enduro to run in the park I talked to the Superintendent (as a mnt biker) on behalf of the Ridge Riders. I am friends with several people that are/were members of the Ridge Riders at that time.

Don't feel too shameful, the AMA doesn't do anything for off road motorcyclists, unless your primary concern is riding without a helmet, the AMA isn't going to be much use to you.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition is the effective organization for the land access issues by far, at least as I have been informed.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy

So true, brap!!!!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
... wanna keep quads off a singletrack? frequent enough chokes to make it boring for them to keep having to go around, but not too slow for mtbs to enjoy. frequent turns and rock gardens will keep most motorized vehicles out as well. the vast majority of the people riding dirt bikes and quads like to go fast. if the trail makes that impossible, they'll avoid it....

Well, that's just it. The quads that rode in Allamuchy recently destroyed those chokes, busted up log piles, destroyed the newer singletrack in the park and just blazed new wide trails around the technical stuff.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I don't think there is really any justification for the fact that quads are riding on singletrack and effectively making it not singletrack. Unfortunately the only way to stop it is a complete ban. Otherwise if they stuck to the fireroads and drove at a safe clip, a lot less people would complain.

I'm not sure how any mountain biker can just feel that it is alright to have quads ripping up singletrack. Knowing that fellow mountain bikers spent entire weekend days building said singletrack. These guys meet at Mooch and are hours into work before i even get up on a Sat/Sun.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^ there already is a complete ban. What are you suggesting? banning the sale of ATV's? I mean thats fine for NJ, but I cant remember the last time I ran into someone who bought their ATV here anyway. Ban on ownership? I would find it disturbing if atv's are banned before pistols :D

On a side note, I was at lewis morris yesterday and I really think I can help the mtn bike community with the creation of single track. I was checking out the new and awesome section that somebody made that runs in a loop. (Fantastic job whoever did it) I dont know how long that took, but if someone would like to paint a trail path for me I will make the same path with my CRF450 in about 6 passes. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think if you rode an ATV in LM you'd get shot (not really). That place is pretty tight with park enforcement. We actually saw 2 park polics on quads yesterday as we were going out to ride.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think if you rode an ATV in LM you'd get shot (not really). That place is pretty tight with park enforcement. We actually saw 2 park polics on quads yesterday as we were going out to ride.

my crf450 is an MX bike, not a couch on wheels thank you :D And I of course agree about actually riding there, although cops on quads chasing a motocross bike is kinda similar to a kid on a tricycle chasing a F.S. 29er. But we used to make turn tracks similar to the single tracks all the time. Its cake with a 55 horsepower rototiller :D

Bob W

JORBA.ORG
Grasshopper and the ant

^ there already is a complete ban. What are you suggesting? banning the sale of ATV's? I mean thats fine for NJ, but I cant remember the last time I ran into someone who bought their ATV here anyway. Ban on ownership? I would find it disturbing if atv's are banned before pistols :D

On a side note, I was at lewis morris yesterday and I really think I can help the mtn bike community with the creation of single track. I was checking out the new and awesome section that somebody made that runs in a loop. (Fantastic job whoever did it) I dont know how long that took, but if someone would like to paint a trail path for me I will make the same path with my CRF450 in about 6 passes. :D

I think your reply was not on the serious side of things but let see how long the MX trail lasts. We all know this is not the way to construct trails or at least ones that will stand the test of time on anything less that flat ground.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think your reply was not on the serious side of things but let see how long the MX trail lasts. We all know this is not the way to construct trails or at least ones that will stand the test of time on anything less that flat ground.

I was indeed joking. Dirt bike tires are wicked expensive! However, there are about 100miles of trails in PA that I often ride constructed and maintained using only this method.

Top Bottom