Attic wood rot?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
My wife just sent me these photos from the wall of our attic. We did have a 4 foot piece of siding blow off in a storm near that location a year or two ago. It was replaced within a week or two. No further examination was done. Might be coincidence. Not sure how to proceed with repairing this.

IMG_9995.jpgIMG_9994.jpg

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Picture of outside?

The only photos I have with me are from when a piece of the soffit blew up last October. This was repaired. Apparently my memory is going too. the larger piece of siding was on the other side of the house. Different storm.

This soffit area is lower than where the wood is rotting, so likely just a coincidence. (other than the fact that the builder had a drinking problem)

IMG_9996.jpgIMG_9997.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The only photos I have with me are from when a piece of the soffit blew up last October. This was repaired. Apparently my memory is going too. the larger piece of siding was on the other side of the house. Different storm.

This soffit area is lower than where the wood is rotting, so likely just a coincidence. (other than the fact that the builder had a drinking problem)

View attachment 155998View attachment 155999

there is no soffit vent?

you are getting condensation on the inside - it shows along the rafters also.
Is that gable wall the north side of the house? (it can happen anywhere, just that is the coldest wall.)

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
there is no soffit vent?

Is that gable wall the north side of the house? (it can happen anywhere, just that is the coldest wall.)

South East corner. I took this from google. It is up higher towards the chimney.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
there is no soffit vent?

That's what my wife first thought. But it seems to look like it's rotting thru the wood. I won't know till I get home.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I instantly looked at pics. What you did is not show outside where the location was. My first thought was is there a chimney. You have bad flashing either around chimney where it meets the roof. Or the cap of the chimney is leaking or bad.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I instantly looked at pics. What you did is not show outside where the location was. My first thought was is there a chimney. You have bad flashing either around chimney where it meets the roof. Or the cap of the chimney is leaking or bad.
Thanks. Will get this checked.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Definitely somewhere around where the chimney meets the roof.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Have you checked your chimney cap/flashing? Could be running down from/around the chimney behind/along the siding.

This requires a ladder and comfortability walking on a roof. Bring FS downhill rig up top and send it for return to mother earth. Please video.
I don't own a tall ladder to avoid dealing with shit like this. Same reason I don't own a lawnmower.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Bumping this thread cause H2o never forgets.

We had two contractors look at this from the inside and both thought the water damage was old. Neither wanted to climb a ladder.

Last Friday during some heavy downpours my wife was able to video the water running down inside the Chimney and slowly dripping into the fireplace.

Chimney "sales" guy came to the house today and diagnosed the issue without leaving the front steps. For $2400 they'd replace the improper chimney cap with a custom one hand welded by them in their own factory. Would throw in a free gutter cleaning while they were up there. Said all this with a straight face.

So what should this really cost?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

$6.99 though you'll need someone with a pair of scissors to custom hand cut it to fit for you.

rick81721

Lothar
Bumping this thread cause H2o never forgets.

We had two contractors look at this from the inside and both thought the water damage was old. Neither wanted to climb a ladder.

Last Friday during some heavy downpours my wife was able to video the water running down inside the Chimney and slowly dripping into the fireplace.

Chimney "sales" guy came to the house today and diagnosed the issue without leaving the front steps. For $2400 they'd replace the improper chimney cap with a custom one hand welded by them in their own factory. Would throw in a free gutter cleaning while they were up there. Said all this with a straight face.

When we sold our Montgomery house a rusted (but not leaking) chimney cap was one of the items found during inspection. We never replaced it but asked when we had gutter work done and I thought it was a few hundred bucks.

joshmdean

When we sold our house a bad chimney cap came up in the inspection. I was quoted $1,200 to repair it and the same chimney guy gave the buyer a $2,000 estimate. We gave the $1,200 credit to the buyer to replace if they wanted to.

Top Bottom