At what point will we stop using Garmin Edge devices and only using our phones?

rlb

batteries aren't going to get much better, they haven't kept up, and they won't. Small improvements here and there but the bigger gains will be in hardware and software to minimize battery use.

I disagree with point 1. They haven't kept up because there hasn't been a need until recently. Look at electric cars, the limiting factor in every single one is the battery. The tech will catch up!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
garmins are multi-hundred dollars doe, read water resistant comments and rewrite

my 500 was 200 something and lasted me 5 years before it was crushed by a dump truck. How many of us have had the same cell phone for 5 years and it works the same at 5 years as it did when new?

Also, I need to get a new waterproof carrying case and mount every time I get a new phone

ChrisRU

Some interesting agruments on both sides.

The other obstacle is phones being tied to carriers. They are only going to continue to find ways to stick it to consumers as more devices use their infrastructure. GPS devices don't need a data connection. Carriers want you consuming as much data as possible.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
garmins are multi-hundred dollars doe, read water resistant comments and rewrite

If I bust up my Garmin it will only cost about $100 for a replacement. If I bust up my iphone it will be about $600. I've washed my Garmin, twice, and it mostly still works, so I can say it's at least water resistant.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
okay, i was talking with kev-dawg and as i was exploring, what i thought of already exists; http://www.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-rflkt-iphone-powered-bike-computer.html

rflkt_on_bars_with_iphone.jpg

iphone records al lthe data, computer on bars shows you the stuff you need to know. why hasn't this taken off? Is it the unlimited data? no power support?

lets be honest, 75% of us dont ride over 2 hours anyway.

attn lou: you can control your music from this device too! omgzzzzz

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
also looks like garmin sells an ANT+ adapter for the iphone for $40 bucks, but that would be kind of annoying to unplug and plug in all the time. thats a negative for sure.

gtluke

The Moped
I disagree with point 1. They haven't kept up because there hasn't been a need until recently. Look at electric cars, the limiting factor in every single one is the battery. The tech will catch up!

Um, they have been working on an electric car on and off for over 100 years. Batteries suck, they always have, they always will. You can keep praying that "someone" will invent a better battery, but it's not likely to happen.
Batteries have to carry around 100% of their potential energy. something like a conventional car gets it's energy from the oxygen in the air. It's always there and you don't have to carry it. All you have to carry is the catalyst for it (fuel) and something to compress the oxygen before igniting it. (engine).
The space shuttle would be much more efficient if it could be powered by jet engines. But since there is no oxygen in space, they have to carry around all their fuel instead of the catalyst and use rockets and not jets. So like 90% of the space shuttle is fuel.

The real viable solution is a standard swap-able battery that you don't own. A capacitor large enough in the phone to keep the phone on for the 30 seconds it might take to swap a battery, and little stations where you can swap them out for $1
Same with cars, except a much bigger modular sized battery and the swap costs $30 and someone does it for you while you wait 5 minutes. SUV's get 2 batteries, UPS trucks get 4 batteries.
Charge at home if you please, but good luck keeping the power grid on when everyone in the world has an electric car. Nuke plants shutting down and crying hippies claiming wind and solar actually work. LED lights should offset home and commercial use by a ton, so maybe it won't be so bad.

soulchild

I'm with Kirt on this one. I will gladly sacrifice my 800 over my iPhone. I am not willing to put my mobile device at risk for the sake of simplicity.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
How are you sacrificing your phone? If it's in your back pocket what's the difference if it's reading data or sitting idle? I'm not talking about putting it on your handlebar. I agree with that. I would not be a fan if it either.

kush

The question is for which segment

This crowd will need specific equipment for a long time. Just like Luke needs his Nikon, as misguided as that is :)

General population, which is bigger than this crowd, will be ok with a smartphone, and the tech will get better and better. Just like taking pics with a smarthphon is getting better and better

My Galaxy S5 which is waterproof, shockproof, etc has a really dumb heart rate monitor that is useless. But an average guy doing the stairmaster in the gym will be just fine iwth it.

soulchild

How are you sacrificing your phone? If it's in your back pocket what's the difference if it's reading data or sitting idle? I'm not talking about putting it on your handlebar. I agree with that. I would not be a fan if it either.

That would make sense. If the phone is in my pocket or camelbak how would I see my data fields though?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
think we are a couple years away - the core of the phones will be wearable, with a choice of screens (glass, wrist, mountable)

power - piezoelectric charging will most likely be built into our clothes too. not to mention all the moving parts of a bike that could generate juice without slowing it down (fork, seat rails, flex in the stays)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
That would make sense. If the phone is in my pocket or camelbak how would I see my data fields though?

okay, i was talking with kev-dawg and as i was exploring, what i thought of already exists; http://www.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-rflkt-iphone-powered-bike-computer.html

rflkt_on_bars_with_iphone.jpg

iphone records al lthe data, computer on bars shows you the stuff you need to know. why hasn't this taken off? Is it the unlimited data? no power support?

lets be honest, 75% of us dont ride over 2 hours anyway.

attn lou: you can control your music from this device too! omgzzzzz

do you fools listen to music or just skim through it?
see? i'm influenced by the ghetto you ruined

soulchild

I listen to music all the time. 800 on the bars, iPhone in pocket and a single earbud with remote so I tell the phone what playlist or song to jump to if I wanna change it up. It's a non issue for me though.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some day I when get tired of numbers I aspire to this
nogarmin.png

No batteries necessary.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
seriously. a moto G is like 1/4 the cost of a garmin 800
The problem is it cost at least $600 a year to use a moto G.

The question is for which segment

This crowd will need specific equipment for a long time. Just like Luke needs his Nikon, as misguided as that is :)

General population, which is bigger than this crowd, will be ok with a smartphone, and the tech will get better and better. Just like taking pics with a smarthphon is getting better and better

My Galaxy S5 which is waterproof, shockproof, etc has a really dumb heart rate monitor that is useless. But an average guy doing the stairmaster in the gym will be just fine iwth it.

^Yes, this. We need specific equipment, which means phone companies would have to make a phone too good for the general population...which in turn would cut into profits.

Top Bottom