AT&T vs Verizon wirless for coverage, strava, etc

chuprinko

Ok, so with a recent job change, I lost my corporate discount with Verizon, and new company has AT&T discount. Looking at possibly changing and with ATT right now, along with discount, could save about $79/mth. BUT have been asking around for info on AT&T coverage in NJ and eastern US, and not finding anything from actual people (not the jargon ATT and VZ tell you)

Anyone have AT&T and happy with it? How is coverage with Strava on rides, north Jersey back roads/trails, etc.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Idk about att coverage but strata doesn't need a cell signal while recording unless you are using the beacon feature.

chuprinko

Yeah, after being hit by a car years back, my wife likes the beacon feature if I'm out riding by myself.

Blair

I had Verizon for years from back in the day when they were better. Past 4 years had ATT corporate phone, pretty much the same in The greater NYC area there are cell towers everywhere. I ride with my phone, Bluetooth, Strava etc all going never with any issues. In June I just switched back to Verizon and have to say the service sucks. I don’t know what it is but now they put all kinds of limits on phone and data speeds. I preferred the AT&T but I don’t know if there are differences in plans.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve had AT&T for years. Never had a problem in this area.

pxs231

I have only had Att over the past 12 years and have had no problems streaming music throughout Allamuchy, Mahlon and other parks in that region.

chuprinko

Thanks a lot for the info.
My wife spent 2 hrs with Verizon to see what they would do for us to lower/match price as long time customers. Basically they said, we are the best so a one time $20 loyalty off next bill, or they could reduce our GBs.. pathetic. The way they treated her makes me want to switch to ATT even more.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
The trick to getting a discount is calling and pretending to cancel. That’s when they backpedal and give up the best deals. I’m ashamed to say I did that everytime I renewed with Verizon in the past. That being said, I do t mobile prepaid now. Service isn’t as good but my bill is half what it used to be.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Verizon just launched a prepaid carrier called Visible. I think it's 40 a month, totally unlimited, but data speeds are capped at like 5mbps. Not positive on the actual details, but if you're not overly concerned with the fastest data rates, 40 a month is pretty cheap.
Also think it's byod iPhone only at this point in time.
This is an old article from when the service was still in beta, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-verizon-visible-and-is-it-a-good-deal/

It's worth a shot, as it's prepaid so no commitment.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Verizon just launched a prepaid carrier called Visible. I think it's 40 a month, totally unlimited, but data speeds are capped at like 5mbps. Not positive on the actual details, but if you're not overly concerned with the fastest data rates, 40 a month is pretty cheap.
Also think it's byod iPhone only at this point in time.
This is an old article from when the service was still in beta, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-verizon-visible-and-is-it-a-good-deal/

It's worth a shot, as it's prepaid so no commitment.

but who wants to suffer with an iphone?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I had Verizon all my life and went project file when Verizon was doing the leasing phones only crap. We are always in wifi so we can go a whole month between 3 people using less than a gig so our bill is 60 bucks before phones which it comes out to 105 since I financed 3 phones currently.

Service is the same as version in Vermont and only one spot by water lou where I drop signal.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had Verizon all my life and went project file when Verizon was doing the leasing phones only crap. We are always in wifi so we can go a whole month between 3 people using less than a gig so our bill is 60 bucks before phones which it comes out to 105 since I financed 3 phones currently.

Service is the same as version in Vermont and only one spot by water lou where I drop signal.

did you mean project FI? iv been someone skeptically looking into it. need to chat with someone who has it, been with verizon all my life (well as long as iv had a phone) and a little hesitant to give up known good coverage.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
did you mean project FI? iv been someone skeptically looking into it. need to chat with someone who has it, been with verizon all my life (well as long as iv had a phone) and a little hesitant to give up known good coverage.

Yup phone auto corrected, I really don't have an issue with coverage and like it a lot the down side is if you use data all the time.

Top Bottom