Asymmetric Rims, did I get it right?

serviceguy

I'm thinking of lacing a new set of wheels for the light blue el mariachi, and I am entertaining the idea of using asymmetric rims for this set (WTB Asym). I do get the idea behind it and the supposed benefit but there's a few details that I'd like to iron out before making a decision:

- front wheel, the 'narrow' half of the rim goes on the drive side

- rear wheel, the 'narrow' half of the rim goes on the non drive side

- offset, how do I compute the rim offset in the spokes calculator (specifically the DT-Swiss spoke calculator which has served me well so far)? Should I just add/subtract to the hub flange distances according to the two previous points (i.e. with a 4.5mm rim offset add 4.5mm to the left flange distance and subtract 4.5mm to the right flange distance for the front hub, add 4.5mm to the right flange distance and subtract 4.5mm to the left flange distance for the rear hub?

Everything else seems pretty much the same otherwise...but is it?

Wheel lacing is somewhat of a therapeutic activity to me , higher than normal stress level at work and other circumstances call for some extra wheels to be added to the collection...

Last edited:
Idk if all brands are the same but on my barons the driveside rear is the 'wide' half of the rim

Correct.

20201214_151847.jpg

Buying quality saves money in the long run. Especially when they also have a no questions asked rim replacement for life.
Not saying it isn't worth the money, but it is a lot of money. How much did that wheelset cost? Is the warranty on the rims only or the hubs as well?

T
Not saying it isn't worth the money, but it is a lot of money. How much did that wheelset cost? Is the warranty on the rims only or the hubs as well?
The I9s are bulletproof*

Rims break, doe.

* Unless you ride a fat bike in the same very rocky place ATFT... @JimN

I can't be the only one riding my fat bike on real trails.

your bike broke because you ride it
mine did because i rode it
two paths with the....

uh, no, it doesn't really work like that does it?
;)

i need to run down to the mailbox and see if my hangar arrived!

your bike broke because you ride it
mine did because i rode it
two paths with the....

uh, no, it doesn't really work like that does it?
;)

i need to run down to the mailbox and see if my hangar arrived!
I’m pretty sure that if they had delivered your hangar you would not need to run down the mailbox to see it:cool:

Ok, back on the subject. I did run the rim/hubs on both spoke calculators, https://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/( which provides a specific field for the holes offset) and https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/ (adjusting the flanges distance from center for the same offset).

I've got 1mm longer spokes calculated by the DTSwiss calculator but the difference between left and right is exactly the same on both (granted, I spec'd squorx nipples on the DTSwiss calculator which should account for the difference).

In general, what is the tolerance on spoke length that can be considered acceptable? I would like to re-lace an old wheelset with new rims but the current spokes are 1mm shy of the specification I'm getting on the DTSwiss calculator...the fact that another calculator returns 1mm shorter spokes king of makes me wonder if I could get away with it...

Back
Top Bottom