Asking for some experts opinions. For real$ EDIT: they may be cracked

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It soaked in pblaster for a week. Didn't do shit. I think Glenn is right and that's what I was trying to do when I cut it in the first place, but I didn't get close enough to the crank to relieve the pressure.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For $50 you could just drop it off and let me deal with it. I have a pile of tricks and a secret weapon.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 for getting an extractor
Id stay away from easy outs in this case, they are great when the bolt is loose....but they are brittle and they snap really easily...They are also SUPER hard, so when you break then off, you are totally fucked....as @JDurk mentioned

Agree with steve about drilling and tapping, I think they is the safest best.

I tried what @Santapez mentioned with increasing sized drill bits....when this happened to one of my hollowgrams....unfortunately, it didn't work...I couldnt get the hole perfectly straight....but i was lucky and found a single crankarm on ebay to replace is

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner Jeremy? I find they work pretty well and loosening up stuck threads

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Edit. They may have a crack. Thoughts?
06C52427-7E00-464A-AFE9-C65CDCC1467E.jpeg

serviceguy

That’s what I thought. I’m not sure I want to bother now though.
I’m sure raceface won’t sell me a NDS crank arm though.
Unlikely. I've been searching for the same exact NDS crank with no results. I did find a RF Next R NDS crank though...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
can't find one with the benefit of a stages power meter stuck to it?

johnbryanpeters

I believe the Shimano pedal is what put him in this situation in the first place.
A pedal axle seized in the crank is quite unlikely to be the pedal's fault.

Cross-threading, corrosion, over-torqueing, or lack of a shim washer where required are more likely candidates.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
A pedal axle seized in the crank is quite unlikely to be the pedal's fault.

Cross-threading, corrosion, over-torqueing, or lack of a shim washer where required are more likely candidates.
Well since we don't know the story of how he got here, we don't know if the spindle snapped first. I went through the same thing on a customer's stub of a spindle.

New cranks were the answer, as the customer wanted it asap.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well since we don't know the story of how he got here, we don't know if the spindle snapped first. I went through the same thing on a customer's stub of a spindle.

New cranks were the answer, as the customer wanted it asap.

the pedal was in the crank for 2 years. Pretty sure it was corroded. But after some googling it looks like race face cranks are pretty susceptible to this kind of thing.

Lesson learned. I only lightly torque my pedals and always use never seize.

This is just a salvage job because I had a few free minutes last night

Top Bottom