Asking for some experts opinions. For real$ EDIT: they may be cracked

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, I Did something stupid. It’s not really about how I did it so you can stop asking.

But the fact remains that I have really fucked up this crank. I had to get petals out and I stripped the bolts and then I got a little crazy.

So if you can tell me how do you get this hacksaw remnant of a pedal out of this crank with a stripped bolt, and it works without destroying the crank, I will pay you US$50.

86E12C60-9F23-405E-9950-9563F3A34D22.jpeg
7B5E7FA6-3316-4975-922D-BF86F63A8A35.jpeg
231AEC38-EE57-40B6-A658-8F8A35A3AF39.jpeg

Xler8

Put it on a mill and machine it out would be your best bet in saving the crank arm.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
find someone who can weld al (im assuming the spindle is al) and weld a nut on and a big wrench.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Try to drill it out. Hold the crank arm in a vise then make sure the bit is turning in the same direction that will unscrew the bolt.

Good luck. 😬

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You could try to hammer something like this into it to bite. I had to do similar with a rounded 5mm bolt on my carbon frame recently... hammered a T25 into it and cranked that sucker out. Not sure what size you’d need for 8mm pedals.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try to drill it out. Hold the crank arm in a vise then make sure the bit is turning in the same direction that will unscrew the bolt.

Good luck. 😬

this could work if you have a vice to hold it with, looks like a non-drive side (LH threaded) so a regular drill bit drilled from the 'front' may do it.

i have also had good luck salvaging threads with a pipe (hollow center like the spindle) by using a hacksaw blade to make a series of cuts and chipping out the spindle. you may get a couple cuts in the threads but wouldnt destroy them.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the spindle is chrome. I think. It’s an XTR, sorry it WAS an XTR pedal.

I tried to drill and maybe I used the wrong bit. I wasn’t making any progress. What kind of bit should I use? I only have a shitty 10 year old ryobi drill.

Should I be nervous to put the crank in a vice if its carbon?

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have the same cranks and this is giving me anxiety. Just gonna go grease my pedal threads now...

I’ve been applying never seize. Probably not necessary and you really don’t need to torque pedals hard at all, but I’m scarred.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the spindle is chrome. I think. It’s an XTR, sorry it WAS an XTR pedal.

I tried to drill and maybe I used the wrong bit. I wasn’t making any progress. What kind of bit should I use? I only have a shitty 10 year old ryobi drill.

Should I be nervous to put the crank in a vice if its carbon?

i wouldnt do it with a hand drill find someone who will let you use a drill press, i wouldnt expect the vise to hurt anything, your not clamping it tight, just enough so that it doesnt wiggle around and spin freely (and you dont have to hold it with your hand) Vise is usually bolted to the table of the drill press.

JDurk

I'm scared for you and can't think of any safe way that hasn't already been mentioned. My biggest fear would be jamming a drill bit in the hole and the flutes grab and it breaks the bit. Or breaks the threaded insert out of the carbon.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You could try to hammer something like this into it to bite. I had to do similar with a rounded 5mm bolt on my carbon frame recently... hammered a T25 into it and cranked that sucker out. Not sure what size you’d need for 8mm pedals.

This or similar.^ I have a small extractor set, but probably nothing big enough for this. But that's what I'd try. Bang something in there and slowly try to torque it with wrench. Put a socket or bolt on the other side so you're not banging in the crank flat or knock out the threaded insert (however they hold them in there).

Another option if you have steady hands is to grind two flats on each side and take an adjustable wrench to it if there's enough material sticking out. Can't really see the height too well in the pictures.

Any time drilling is involved, you can destroy the threads. On cars and shit is fine because it's hard steel and you can always cut the threads in. Not sure how soft this is and could be past repair. I usually use the dremel-a-slot-for-a-flathead method for snapped but not stuck stuff, but may not work in this case if it's corroded in there.

serviceguy

First of all, have you stripped the hex hole in the back? Did you try with a proper Allen key, the cheap one sometimes get rounded edges and tend to slip even where a proper one will bite. Second, no heat should be involved in this process. Third, if that is the left crankarm indeed, you could try to drill out the spindle hole (not the entire spindle) and tap then use bolt to rotate the spindle clockwise...if the spindle doesn't come loose just trying to drill it out. I have the same exact cranks! If it's the right crank just do it from the inner side instead.

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drill it, then tap it, then put an internal hex-head bolt in the new threads, then crank on it to spin out the axle remnants.

Hopefully, but unlikely during the drilling operation you'll spin out the old axle.

Just make sure you go in from the side where right-hand would spin it in the direction you want. If that's the non-drive side, doing the above from the inside portion would work well actually. Did this not too long ago on a broken piece of suspension bolt in my carbon frame.

If that doesn't work I'd continue doing what was mentioned before and just keep drilling through up with bits smaller than the ID of the thread of the insert. 9/16" if I remember right on pedals.

I see Serviceguy just mentioned what I was typing with drilling/tapping.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Ez out, or maybe a bolt or large screw that could get some bite might be enough to unscrew the spindle. I would be trying everything before trying to drill it out, the thread may be aluminum and easy to kill.

Top Bottom