Ask an automobile mechanic.

w_b

So going through insurance. Will I be further screwed if we both have Liberty Mutual for coverage?
In NJ does not matter you are screwed either way. Unless you get an estimate and he gives you cash then pocket most of it and drive on down the road.

GTCHAMPION1

Did you get a police report though? In case they get cold feet when they see the bill?

Everything seems to be 0-20 these days, why is that? Is it an emissions thing, are they building engines to tighter tolerances, or have the additives in the oil gotten that good that there is less shear even at lower viscosiities? Also, what do the intake valves look like on that tear down, curious to see what the carbon buildup looks like on the MB DI motors.
Many things, mostly environmental impact, and engine performance, and definitely engine tolerances and mostly the new nano-coating on the piston skirts and valve seals. With today's high performance engines if you loosing compression a compression tester may come out OK, so you also need to do a cylinder leak down test to see how much percentage of leakage is coming out from most likely the valves.

Last edited:
Reactions: don

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
In NJ does not matter you are screwed either way. Unless you get an estimate and he gives you cash then pocket most of it and drive on down the road.
This is untrue, property damage does matter. If you use the other parties’ policy if will not impact your rates, you will not have a deductible and they owe you a rental. You do not even need to notify your company if the other company accepts liability. Since you both have Liberty they’ll often handle subrogation internally but in the end this shouldn’t count against your policy.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you get a police report though? In case they get cold feet when they see the bill?

Everything seems to be 0-20 these days, why is that? Is it an emissions thing, are they building engines to tighter tolerances, or have the additives in the oil gotten that good that there is less shear even at lower viscosiities? Also, what do the intake valves look like on that tear down, curious to see what the carbon buildup looks like on the MB DI motors.

according to my wife who designs oil for castrol its all about fuel economy and the new CAFE regulations. Tighter tolerances higher operating temperatures and better additives allow for it to still provide plenty of lubrication. The next thing will be 0w16.

Silver paint will require a blend into the door to look right. I'd say $1200-$1500 easily. And check with the body shop; it may end up on CarFax anyway and if so, might as well go through insurance unless you have a high deductible. Some insurance companies will waive the deductible for a hit-and-run, too.

EDIT: Door too? $1500-$2000.
not always, i had a fender replaced on my silver truck, they did a paint match and didnt touch the door, you couldnt tell which fender it is without looking underneath at the backside.

w_b

This is untrue, property damage does matter. If you use the other parties’ policy if will not impact your rates, you will not have a deductible and they owe you a rental. You do not even need to notify your company if the other company accepts liability. Since you both have Liberty they’ll often handle subrogation internally but in the end this shouldn’t count against your policy.
This sounds good on paper. Paper is not so durable. Then comes renewal time and bend over we got the Torx drive deck screws for ya.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
If it's 100% the other person's fault then your insurance company doesn't even need to be involved.

Karate Monkey

That will be in between the customer and MBUSA, once a case is open service department and technician gets paid. There are many legal procedures that MBUSA have, due to the fact that this vehicle is around $115k, probably the manufacturer goodwill certain cost of the repair and parts. Lower model vehicles we never send oil samples to be analyse, In fact is a rare procedure. And yesterday I just started to dig in deeper
View attachment 185157View attachment 185158View attachment 185159View attachment 185160

Gonna guess the oil isn't supposed to look like it got pulled from La Brea.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So this is the LM Estimate. Are these $/hr rates reality or am I going to run into problems if I don't use a "LM recommended shop?"

ESTIMATE TOTALS

Parts 942.26
Body Labor 13.0 hrs @ $ 54.00 /hr 702.00
Paint Labor 4.3 hrs @ $ 54.00 /hr 232.20
Mechanical Labor 1.0 hrs @ $ 58.00 /hr 58.00
Paint Supplies 4.3 hrs @ $ 33.00 /hr 141.90
Subtotal 2,076.36

Sales Tax $ 2,076.36 @ 6.6250 % 137.56
Total Cost of Repairs 2,213.92

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Labor rates are fine for this area, don't compare them to what the real world rate is at a dealer or independent chassis shop. Body shops get hosed on labor rates. So you are fine. As far as using what shop, a LM shop gives you a lifetime warranty on the work backed by the insurer. We offer lifetime on paint and bodywork even when paying out of pocket but the insurer will cover part issues, electrical issues, etc and also fix it if you move out of the area. If you have a body shop you are comfortable with they will contact Liberty is additional work is needed. Hit me up if you have any questions.

mfennell

That will be in between the customer and MBUSA, once a case is open service department and technician gets paid. There are many legal procedures that MBUSA have, due to the fact that this vehicle is around $115k, probably the manufacturer goodwill certain cost of the repair and parts. Lower model vehicles we never send oil samples to be analyse, In fact is a rare procedure. And yesterday I just started to dig in deeper
View attachment 185159

Are the other tech envious that you get to do this kind of work or do they pity you for not being able to beat book hours doing the same thing you've done 100X before? (Or maybe you don't get paid that way - I can't recall if you've said).

GTCHAMPION1

Are the other tech envious that you get to do this kind of work or do they pity you for not being able to beat book hours doing the same thing you've done 100X before? (Or maybe you don't get paid that way - I can't recall if you've said).
I get paid differently, still flat rate but I do get compensated for my services even when I do not make a desired goal... The more you know the more you do but I'm definitely not doing work for free, that's why you always look for a reputable employer that is not just known by customers but also respected by all employees. ...once you reach the big leagues your skills is what makes your calling card.

Biggest problem when you take a rare engine apart and call the shop foreman for inspection is that half of the shop gets around the engine like a fast and furious scene

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

View attachment 185157View attachment 185158View attachment 185159View attachment 185160
I would need more Red Bull than that.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As of this moment I found a crate on that bay I'm doing the engine, and it is all complete even with the wire harness and new turbos ...I still have to put the old engine together for QEC so they can study what went wrong, that means I have to time it too 😳View attachment 185452View attachment 185453
lol, im guessing MB shipped it by air from germany?

So does the customer know if they are footing the bill for this yet?

GTCHAMPION1

lol, im guessing MB shipped it by air from germany?

So does the customer know if they are footing the bill for this yet?
That's how we do, we overnight parts from Germany 🤣. .... oil samples came out decent, everything came out within specifications during inspection, possible cause camshaft adjuster(sprocket at camshaft) at right side intake or exhaust, or internal failure of Camtronic mechanical system of the intake camshaft, that's my theory and the foreman agrees may be oil starvation at the camshaft, intake cam on right side gets an oil centrifuge at the back(kinda works like VTEC but the cam has a Sleeve that shift and it is externally actuated by an electrical motor with pins, I'll try to post pics later to explain it if you wish... And the good news are that AMG built tough like a rock is paying the bill, so the client is going to be pleased with a freebie 🍻

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get paid differently, still flat rate but I do get compensated for my services even when I do not make a desired goal... The more you know the more you do but I'm definitely not doing work for free, that's why you always look for a reputable employer that is not just known by customers but also respected by all employees. ...once you reach the big leagues your skills is what makes your calling card.

Biggest problem when you take a rare engine apart and call the shop foreman for inspection is that half of the shop gets around the engine like a fast and furious scene

153A40B9-EE7A-4244-AE1C-957CCDC494ED.gif

Top Bottom