Ask an automobile mechanic.

The tech who screws up can gets his chops busted for days, weeks, months, and any time another similar screw up happens it gets brought back up. Maybe in a fancy shop it's less brutal but yeah, the crew never lets that stuff go.

FWIW, with the shortage of good or even trainable employees out there, it's pretty hard to get fired these days.

So here's a good lesson learned

View attachment 183237

Last week I dropped my car off at family Ford to have a couple recalls done... I had recently changed the plugs and noticed oil in the spark plug holes... So I asked them to do the valve cover gasket while it was there.... I have been crazy busy the last couple days but I'm like I swear I smell unburnt oil.... Go check this morning... Wtf? Fucking idiots
wouldnt it have been awesome if this was @Carson s car? :)

I think my favorite oil change related incident was the old GM 2.5 with a cartridge filter. The bottom of the pan had a four inch access plug with a 7/8 head and they always seized. The tech lost his shit trying to break it free, grabbed an impact gun and was WOT when it came loose, completely Valdez-ing the two adjacent bays and somehow not getting a drop on him. That was a lengthy cleanup...

I think my favorite oil change related incident was the old GM 2.5 with a cartridge filter. The bottom of the pan had a four inch access plug with a 7/8 head and they always seized. The tech lost his shit trying to break it free, grabbed an impact gun and was WOT when it came loose, completely Valdez-ing the two adjacent bays and somehow not getting a drop on him. That was a lengthy cleanup...

i'll fess up.

using a lift, dropping the oil pan on a TH400 i pulled all the bolts except for a couple on each end.
well i must have backed one off a bit much, and when i went in with the plastic lever to break the seal, that end of the pan
came down with the other end still attached.

didn't get me in the face, but neck to nuts was an oily mess.
they got some good mileage out of that.

Went through some zip zorb that day.

both of the following ive only done once in the 15yrs ive been working on stuff, started filling engine with oil with the drain plug out, double gasketed a spin on filter. once was enough to take the 2 extra seconds to double check.

my fav oil change story is from my dad, a guy in the bay next to him was filling a car with oil using the shop oil from the pull down nozzle, he thought he set the auto shut off to 5qts and went to lunch. well he didnt, it filled the entire engine full of oil and it was coming out of the exhaust pipe. there was 30+ gal of oil lost, when the engine was drained and started again it smoked so bad the cops were called to investigate a fire.

Oh man, I remember those. I thought I remember the 'plug' was too flimsy for an impact and we resorted to chisels on the bad ones.

Oil change related: I changed the oil on my Husqvarna 701 Vitpilen last night. Same engine as the KTM 690 Duke (a bunch of KTMs, I guess). Craziest thing I've ever seen. The oil change kit includes TWO filters, two cylindrical screens, two new caps for the screens, 8 o-rings, and a new crush washer! It was $65. The recommended oil was $60 for 4L, enough for two changes with some left over.

husky-oil-kit.jpg

yeah back in the days when I was a wanna be DIY auto mechanic in college, i was helping a buddy with his oil change and poured 5 Qts of oil into the engine and onto the road since I forgot to install the new oil filter first. That cost me money I didnt have back then and I never did it again. His dad was none to pleased with me having a huge oil stain in the street for years.

So they gave me a loner ranger
20220421_065622.jpg

I brought the mechanic over and showed him everything, how my ac no longer works now... which I'm imagining is because the belt is hosed with oil... They agreed to fix everything, I'll see later.

Back
Top Bottom