Ask an automobile mechanic.

skully

You could try preforming a " cylinder leak down test" and then inspect the diff sys of the eng for the escaping air during the test i.e......air in the cooling system will show up as bubbles in the radiator ....air past the rings, piston can be heard in the crank case with the drain plug out of the oil pan,air getting past the vavles , heard in the intake or out of the tail pipe ( depending on with vavle is bad ) .....this can help you narrow it down at least

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is also sounding most likely to me, it kind of makes sense that it burns more at high RPM too, as PCV system gets overloaded the extra crank pressure forces more oil in past the journals... At least thats my current entirely uneducated theory.
I dont know...while I dont know the specifics of your particular engine, I would say typically if you have a HG failure that is causing oil INTO, the cylinder....Plus without looking at the head...are their oil passages between these two cylinders? you would also have water coming in as well...which is really easy to spot....The high pressure is coming from inside the cylinder and I would say typically moving out of the cylinder....oil in the water, radiator boiling over, lots of air in the cooling system....How is the PCV system? hoses expanded? what about the dipstick? has it popped out? If you are getting blowby past the rings, the crankcase will have excess pressure

And I most likely, the two bad cylinders will just eventually stop firing so long as you keep it full of oil.

Bisquick

Just took it on a drive for lunch, hear a new noise that sounds a little slappy... Feel like junkyard motor it may have to be... Really appreciate everyones time, this has really been stretching my diagnostic skill.

wheels won't lock-up. if the engine throws something because it seizes, it could get messy, depending on which way things go.

this is a tough decision. get a cheap borescope on amazon and check the cylinder walls?

hate to lose a motor over a headgasket. Rings are tougher, and if it is scored, then it is kinda done.
I agree, but the heavy gold particulate in the motor lead me to believe there is much more wear that has already been done.

I dont know...while I dont know the specifics of your particular engine, I would say typically if you have a HG failure that is causing oil INTO, the cylinder....Plus without looking at the head...are their oil passages between these two cylinders? you would also have water coming in as well...which is really easy to spot....The high pressure is coming from inside the cylinder and I would say typically moving out of the cylinder....oil in the water, radiator boiling over, lots of air in the cooling system....How is the PCV system? hoses expanded? what about the dipstick? has it popped out? If you are getting blowby past the rings, the crankcase will have excess pressure

And I most likely, the two bad cylinders will just eventually stop firing so long as you keep it full of oil.
Those were questions I had about my crackpot theory as well... Doesn't really make all that much sense. This motor has cooling passages directly around the cyl and the oil journals are kind of far from the cyl. For some reason this seemed more likely then one bank of rings all failing..

PCV system I think is fine. Haven't replaced the valve but I can hear it moving when I shake it. Obviously its gunked, but appears to be working. Never popped a dipstick, and I think it would. Dipstick on this engine doesnt positively lock, and would be easy to pop out with a little pressure. Also no seals leak.

w_b

You already know it- Bottom line is rebuild or replace. It’s past any TBO interval you could dream up. and $600 ain’t getting you a good JY motor.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Not hard, just cut the belt.😁

What's the issue?

Compressor seized so the belt in the Jetta snapped. It goes through all the things so I either need to swap out the compressor or just do a bypass. We're giving it to the kid so he can live without AC.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Compressor seized so the belt in the Jetta snapped. It goes through all the things so I either need to swap out the compressor or just do a bypass. We're giving it to the kid so he can live without AC.

Calling dyfs

Other than that, just run the belt around everything and make sure the compressor pulley isn’t in the way. Then get a length and use a finder.

Might have to removed the compressor pulley. Or just get new compressor. I got a vacuum thingy and gauges.

skully

In Most cases, cars come from the factory equipped "with a/c" or " without a/c"......you should be able to find the "without a/c " belt route and belt part# (size) online or ask a good parts guy , and just install the new "without" belt on that route be good to go

Bisquick

Is there a way to install a stock belt and just disengage the compressor clutch?

Don't know exactly what compressor you have, but for a 09' 2.5L the parts prices are very reasonable.. Could just hand it to him and tell him to figure it out if he wants A/C?
1633484287083.png

Steve Vai

Calling dyfs

Other than that, just run the belt around everything and make sure the compressor pulley isn’t in the way. Then get a length and use a finder.

Might have to removed the compressor pulley. Or just get new compressor. I got a vacuum thingy and gauges.

We had DYFS at the house twice when he raced NICA. Apparently overjumping the hump on Blue at 6-Mile looks a lot like you got your ass kicked by your parents 🤣🤣🤣

Steve Vai

Is there a way to install a stock belt and just disengage the compressor clutch?

Don't know exactly what compressor you have, but for a 09' 2.5L the parts prices are very reasonable.. Could just hand it to him and tell him to figure it out if he wants A/C?
View attachment 168423

The bearing is seized. We're getting the car back here by the end of the week so I'll start screwing around with it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The bearing is seized. We're getting the car back here by the end of the week so I'll start screwing around with it.

Good point here. I've never seen a clutch seized. Just unplug the electric connection to the compressor and spin away?

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Are you sure it was the AC compressor pulley that seized, and not the alternator pulley clutched bearing? I’ve done a few of those on VWs that have lead to snapped belts

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Change your air filters!

These new 45,000 mile or 4 year service intervals for new cars are BS.

Just dropped a new filter in my truck and it feels like new. I think I was slowly suffocating it.

Reactions: don

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure if there is room to go around the compressor, but I remember years ago I used a shorter belt on my 5.0 mustang to bypass the airpump and power steering for running at the dragstrip....I took some string to get the length close, then went to the autoparts store...took a couple of tries but I got something that worked.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So this was a simple satisfying one-
2007 Accord v6 has had the power steering whine for a bit now. I just turn up the the radio, but my mechanic was leaning in on swapping the pump.
Argh. Goes against all my inherent cheapness.

Kudos to @extremedave for reminding me there was a service bulletin about an o-ring on the return line between pump and reservoir.
$2 and 10 minutes later, no more whine.
Yay.
(No pics- it all happened so fast)

But here’s the next thing I have to deal with- return line is a little leaky.
Does leave drips when topped off.
278224AE-DB25-4C05-8B9A-746BFFC59B1B.jpeg
There was a recall on a power steering line, but plugging in my VIN it says not me.
Whatever. $20 hose.

Top Bottom