Ask an automobile mechanic.

GTCHAMPION1

It's a VW. Triple-square son.

(it's just a 10mm IIRC, but plenty of opportunity to break the connectors to the coils)
Triple square are mostly for suspension and transmission parts on VW, if it's a 4 or 5 cylinder VW from around 2008 you only have to pry off the coils once you get the wire harness our of the way, I did a 2003 VR6 once and had T30 Tox on a single coil pack ...'son'

Strugglebus

Triple square hold down the seats in my wife’s Tiguan. I only know this because the mechanic at the dealer forgot to tighten the seat down after they put a new carpet in. :oops: Luckily I still had my set from years ago when I used to work on them.

also, every VW head bolt I’ve ever installed was triple square. 2.0 aba, 12v VR, and 1.8t I believe.

GTCHAMPION1

Triple square hold down the seats in my wife’s Tiguan. I only know this because the mechanic at the dealer forgot to tighten the seat down after they put a new carpet in. :oops: Luckily I still had my set from years ago when I used to work on them.

also, every VW head bolt I’ve ever installed was triple square. 2.0 aba, 12v VR, and 1.8t I believe.
2.0 2.5 coils should just pry out and no screws should be there

mfennell

Triple square are mostly for suspension and transmission parts on VW, if it's a 4 or 5 cylinder VW from around 2008 you only have to pry off the coils once you get the wire harness our of the way, I did a 2003 VR6 once and had T30 Tox on a single coil pack ...'son'
Sheesh. I thought it was obvious that I was kidding, as you were. I added a smiley to clarify.

The low miles suggests late model which - I just checked a pic of my car - probably means 10mm.

GTCHAMPION1

Sheesh. I thought it was obvious that I was kidding, as you were. I added a smiley to clarify.

The low miles suggests late model which - I just checked a pic of my car - probably means 10mm.
I was being a little sarcastic too lol sorry for any misunderstanding

alex_k

My wife's Subaru Outback 2016 eats batteries. Dealership says, everything is fine, drive more often. The current one is 3d or 4th, I don't recall. When I changed the battery a month ago I also installed a battery monitor.

Today I connected my phone to the monitor and found that the battery is completely drained again. The car is not driven only for a couple of days and voltage was low but I did not expect to see that went down from 11.7 to 7V in matter of hour. Any idea, explanation?

I have no idea how to deal with this problem :( . My dealership will be probably useless again.

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 1.21.37 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Dingo

Connect a mA meter in series with the battery, after all the modules shut down (usually 30 min) how many mA ? 50 is the max, most times it's less than 25.

Another test I do is, check with infra red thermometer, any module staying awake will be warmer. This is best done inside with the temperatures stabilized.

Aftermarket shit and on star are the usual problems with GM.

alex_k

Connect a mA meter in series with the battery, after all the modules shut down (usually 30 min) how many mA ? 50 is the max, most times it's less than 25.

Another test I do is, check with infra red thermometer, any module staying awake will be warmer. This is best done inside with the temperatures stabilized.

Aftermarket shit and on star are the usual problems with GM.
thanks, I'll try.

That does not happen often... I'm wondering if 11.5V is a threshold and discharges accelerates at this low voltage level.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Must be some kind of electronic draw on the battery....maybe an electronic module that is "waking up" and draining the battery
This looked pretty good info:

Can that battery monitor give you live readings? Once everything is shut down you could use that and start pulling fuses if you don't have anything else to work with.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks, I'll try.

That does not happen often... I'm wondering if 11.5V is a threshold and discharges accelerates at this low voltage level.
I was farting around on the Optima site, they say the lower the battery gets the faster it discharges. FYI, fully charged is 12.6 not 12.0

alex_k

I was farting around on the Optima site, they say the lower the battery gets the faster it discharges. FYI, fully charged is 12.6 not 12.0
you need to drive every day to get 12.6V - that does not happen when everyone works from home

mfennell

The Internet tells me 11.7V in a lead acid battery is less than 30% charged. Below 11.3 damages it permanently (somehow).

Using an infra thermometer is a great idea.

Top Bottom