Asheville, NC

goodvibe

Greetings All!
I am planning a trip to visit my sister in Asheville. I will probably be able to ride 1-2 days. I was wondering if anyone has been there and if they have any thought on bicycling. I know the Blue Ridge Parkway is epic road riding and Mount Mitchell is a great climb, but there is incredible mountain biking as well. If you have been there and only had 1-2 days to ride, what would you do? (and where would you rent a bike from?)

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My experience was staying outside of Asheville in Brevard, which is the epicenter of mtb in the area. I rode DuPont and Pisgah. I really enjoyed DuPont; there was a lot of mileage, mostly flowy and nice scenery. The ridgeline trail is very popular.
Pisgah on the other hand was a mixed bag for me. I wasn’t able to find a good map at the time and had a difficult time finding my way around. The terrain was very steep, rooty and wet. Maybe it’s because I’m not used to them, but wet roots aren’t my fave. I would like to go back with a better game plan and try again though.
Even though Pisgah and DuPont aren’t physically that far away, they are very different. There was at least two shops in Brevard when I went, the Hub and sycamore, both had legit rental fleets.
My company is based out of Asheville, and they do a company trip down there every year, that is up until I started last year, no trip this year. I was looking forward to riding down there again.

pygmypony

Greetings All!
I am planning a trip to visit my sister in Asheville. I will probably be able to ride 1-2 days. I was wondering if anyone has been there and if they have any thought on bicycling. I know the Blue Ridge Parkway is epic road riding and Mount Mitchell is a great climb, but there is incredible mountain biking as well. If you have been there and only had 1-2 days to ride, what would you do? (and where would you rent a bike from?)
when are you heading down? a few of us local edison/metuchen folks are going down late october (oct 24 - 28) to see a friend of ours who recently moved there. we plan on doing some road and MTB riding over three or four days as well!

jerzey111

Came back from Asheville few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to have my wife drop me of on blue ridge parkway while she went shoppomg to Asheville. I did heartbreak ridge to kitsuma. Best ride of my life.highly recommended if logistics work out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918-141902_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-141902_Strava.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 116

pygmypony

Came back from Asheville few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to have my wife drop me of on blue ridge parkway while she went shoppomg to Asheville. I did heartbreak ridge to kitsuma. Best ride of my life.highly recommended if logistics work out.
i think this was one of the rides my local Asheville bud was talking about...one question - is that your Dog in your avatar? I've seen that pup in a bike basket riding along the hudson river greenway many mornings...i'm guessing that's you?!

jerzey111

i think this was one of the rides my local Asheville bud was talking about...one question - is that your Dog in your avatar? I've seen that pup in a bike basket riding along the hudson river greenway many mornings...i'm guessing that's you?!

Yes that's Rocky but the pup in the basket is someone else.

goodvibe

My experience was staying outside of Asheville in Brevard, which is the epicenter of mtb in the area. I rode DuPont and Pisgah. I really enjoyed DuPont; there was a lot of mileage, mostly flowy and nice scenery. The ridgeline trail is very popular.
Pisgah on the other hand was a mixed bag for me. I wasn’t able to find a good map at the time and had a difficult time finding my way around. The terrain was very steep, rooty and wet. Maybe it’s because I’m not used to them, but wet roots aren’t my fave. I would like to go back with a better game plan and try again though.
Even though Pisgah and DuPont aren’t physically that far away, they are very different. There was at least two shops in Brevard when I went, the Hub and sycamore, both had legit rental fleets.
My company is based out of Asheville, and they do a company trip down there every year, that is up until I started last year, no trip this year. I was looking forward to riding down there again.
Thanks for the info. We are staying in downtown, and I don't know if I am going to have a car to get far out of town.

goodvibe

I may have to do something like this because I don't know if I am going to have a car.

goodvibe

Our plan is in the beginning of November.
when are you heading down? a few of us local edison/metuchen folks are going down late october (oct 24 - 28) to see a friend of ours who recently moved there. we plan on doing some road and MTB riding over three or four days as well!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Greetings All!
Pisgah!!!

Top Bottom