Ascutney and NH advice

Robin

Headed up north this weekend - considering hitting Ascutney to break up the drive...

Looking at TF, there are two parking areas - I found some loops to follow - but any advice? I don't mind climbing but it has to be worth it ;-)

I'm a bit nervous about leaving my DH bike on my rack - even with it locked....

JDurk

It's a decent consideration for breaking up the drive. I was there with @KenS and some others for VMBAfest a few years ago. Festival camping was in the parking lot of Ski Tow Rd, which is where we started each ride. Seemed like we were always climbing and the tech sections that we rode were pretty techy. We also did some lift served DH runs on our Scalpels at Suicide 6.

Pretty sure @Norm has been there since we have and spent more time there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We have been there a few times in the past few years and I would say that if it's hot/humid/moist it's not a great place. Lots of stuff on the more raw side, and the roots/rocks get greasy. I don't know how the weather is shaking out.

We have parked at the outdoor center and it's been ok there. I don't know about leaving your bike. I think it depends if they staff the center or not. IIRC it has been pretty barren of humans which can be a mixed blessing.

Ascutney was fine but I think it is a little oversold. Nothing there will blow your socks off. Sort of like when Ogre eats the Pie in Revenge of the Nerds. I mean it's pie but it is great pie?

Also depends how you are driving up. I would consider the Green Mountain Trail system ahead of this, myself. But that's if you are coming from the NYS Thurway. If you are coming up the gut of CT, maybe Cowles Park which is small and maybe off the beaten path too much. But easy to navigate and has some fun stuff and maybe more in the middle of where you're going. I guess I am assuming you are driving from Flemington to East Burke or something like that.

Robin

thanks - enroute to Highland. I'm considering just riding the XC trails at Highland Thursday night too.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks - enroute to Highland. I'm considering just riding the XC trails at Highland Thursday night too.
I will check my Strava - we did a nice loop at Ascutney in 2018. Trails are fun and its very hard to get lost. Can you shove your DH bike in the back of your car while you ride?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I rode the XC trails when we were there this year. In that pie analogy, it's not very good pie.

I would toss these out:

Cowles (CT) - decent but probably a hair too out of the way. Good coffee roaster place near-ish
Rockland Preserve (CT) - specifically the Northern Exposure loop because it is easy to follow but I am told super technical. I have never been there
Case Mountain (CT) - just east of Hartford, never been there, super well-rated, but also very hard to navigate as I understand it
Woody Hill (RI) - southern route and if you are open to going that way, this is actually a fun place
Sutton SF (MA) - slightly south of Worcester but you'll need a little help there. I actually rode there yesterday
Vietnam (MA) - it's a maze - fun but a maze
Yudicky (NH) - in Nashua. Never been but I believe fun & easy to navigate
Franklin Falls (NH) - sort of more driving than you want because it is slightly north of Highland but the most fun, the easiest to navigate, and it's close to a town which has food. I can even tell you where to go eat

Robin

I think I hit Rockland with @chemgirl on one of our trips up north...if that is the one, we had fun for sure!

I'll be solo so riding something really gnar (Vietnam) isn't a good idea for me ;-)

Perhaps Franklin Falls then - I saw that on TF - and can drop my DH bike off/check in and then go up. I'm glad you commented on the Highland trails - I was thinking of starting another thread for that.

THANK YOU!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I am a huge fan of Ascutney and think that you will really like it @Robin! They have also built some more flow trails recently, because as @Norm and @JDurk mentioned, it sometimes feels "climby" and is a bit raw. The tech and rock rollers outweigh flow, but that is right up my alley.

Park at the West Windsor Town Forest lot, it puts you more central in the system and you can start the day with not as massive of a climb. The trails are super well marked. Boulder Dash, Cloud 9.9, Pass the Buck, Rock and Roll, Ridge Run/Ridgeback, Falls From Grace and Lynx are must-ride. There's tons more to explore and riding solo won't feel super backcountry. I would lock the Dh bike inside the car, but that's just me. Reduce tire pressure if you decide that route.

Here is an activity I did there in 2016: https://www.strava.com/activities/653252705. I called it "God is a mtn biker and trailbuilder. These are God's trails." I like the place that much.

Random pics from there:

A lot of spines and super grippy stuff like this:
20170622_145331.jpg

The rock work on ridge run is amazing, pics do no justice
20170622_145446.jpg

Top of Quarry Falls above Pass the Buck trail
20170623_111426.jpg

@Bleeder climbing Hay Ride. If you park at the resort you'll find yourself climbing this at some point. If you park at WWTF trailhead don't descend this, there are way better options nearby like sluice, gracies, etc.
20160725_120559.jpg

Attachments

• 20170622_145449.jpg
    20170622_145449.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 65

Robin

Thanks @KenS for the post. I am saving this ride for another trip (July). My DH bike is a beast and shoving in the CrossTrek wasn't happening.

I opted for @Norm suggestion of Franklin Dam. Only 10 minutes from hotel. Checked in, dropped off big rig and explored. Nice flow and different than I am used to. Thanks!

Top Bottom