Article on Deer in South Mountain from MSN

dualfisted

yeah, the deer are the problem,,,,,, not the fact that they cram people into the area like sardines,,, or the fact that they destroyed the forest to put their palacial estates on. I'm far from a hippy, and I wouldn't mind eating a little venison myself, but there's probably a better way to go about it. On second thought, I need a job, hire me to go shoot some deer, I was a marine rifle sharpshooter, that should qualify me (I'm kidding). Check out that great flip flop I did on that issue,,,,, I'm ready for politics.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
yeah, the deer are the problem,,,,,, not the fact that they cram people into the area like sardines,,, or the fact that they destroyed the forest to put their palacial estates on. I'm far from a hippy, and I wouldn't mind eating a little venison myself, but there's probably a better way to go about it. On second thought, I need a job, hire me to go shoot some deer, I was a marine rifle sharpshooter, that should qualify me (I'm kidding). Check out that great flip flop I did on that issue,,,,, I'm ready for politics.

you'd totally fit in - dualfisted for president!

the deer problem does suck in NJ. i think they should reintroduce some deer predators. it would make life so much more... interesting.

imagine grilling out in the summer enjoying a beer, some deer walk into your backyard, and next thing you know you're a mtn lions lunch. that would rock.

BiknBen

I'm not a hunting advocate but this seems pretty obvious. Their numbers in that area make it unsafe for the animal and motorists. I'd rather see them served as meat to needy families than in the gutter with an orange X painted on them.

disclaimer: I've hit deer twice with a car. :getsome:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Amazing, hysterical quote here:

"I could come out on my deck and get shot," said Sharon McClenton, a 42-year-old teacher whose house in West Orange butts up against the preserve."

Ridiculous.

I spoke to the guy within the county govt that organized this hunt. The sharpshooters are 20-30 (minimum) feet up in a tree stand and they shoot downward at the deer (who will be helping themselves to a pile of deer bait).

I do not hunt. But let's face it, there are no predators in the reservation and the numbers are out of check. The under story is totally cleared of vegetation, only old growth remains. The deer need to be culled, and the most humane and cost-effective way to do this by using sharpshooters. Contraception is neither practical or cost effective.

Trophy taking (antlers) is not allowed. The meat goes to a food kitchen for the homeless. I think that the county has thought this out well and I'd support this effort.

By the way, they do this in Watchung Res too and it works, with no issues.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Amazing, hysterical quote here:

"I could come out on my deck and get shot," said Sharon McClenton, a 42-year-old teacher whose house in West Orange butts up against the preserve."

dude - this is a legitimate concern! i even heard the sharpshooters are even concerned over friendly-fire, because they have to wear these new government sanctioned uniforms - its a new camo, designed in such a way that they don't disturb the other wildlife... ;)

deerrevenge.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
in all seriousness - it is cool to hear that they aren't just exterminating and wasting the deer. nice to hear that the meat is going somewhere where its needed.

i used to live in bernardsville, and if the deer problem at south mountain is like anything like b'ville's problem, a program like this unfortunately needs to happen.

Top Bottom