Are you a spin class attendee or not?

Are you a spin class attendee or not?

• Total voters

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Are you a spin class attendee or not? I have been going on and off for a few months to different spin classes. Also, I try to use the trainer (at home) which is a bit noisy for others. My last gym I frequented (Bally's) I never did spin class, although I did several other classes. My new gym, I just do spin class. My neighbor was a runner and got hurt running, then went to spin once, but I don't think she went back, she said it was too painful the next day walking up stairs. I'd like to go once or twice a week if I have the time.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i am considering joining a gym for the spin classes as well as everything else. id like to gain more cardio from it. by the way you said SPIN 5 times in one paragraph. good job. :D

Mare

I have spun, but I no longer spin. I have done the trainer, but I hate it. I want to be outside!!!!!!!!! Rain, sleet, snow.... outside!!!!!!!!

I went to Bally's for many many years. Then I just had enough of the smell of the locker room, people grunting, and people trying have conversations with me while I was changing. F*ck off peoples!

Glancing Aft

My friend's girlfriend is a spin instructor so I hit up her 5:30 am class once or twice a week. Personally I think it's a waste of time for bike training, but good for overall cardio fitness training. Just go outside into the cold or use a trainer...

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
My friend's girlfriend is a spin instructor so I hit up her 5:30 am class once or twice a week. Personally I think it's a waste of time for bike training, but good for overall cardio fitness training. Just go outside into the cold or use a trainer...
my order of preference is
  1. bicycle outside
  2. trainer
  3. spin class
i practice spinning one leg at a time as recommended in arnie bakers' high intensity trainer eBook. the reason i like spin over outside is Less Chance of Injury and I prefer it over trainer, as the neighbor's can't complaint

either way, i prefer just being outside like survivor man

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
anyone using SUUNTO for their spin class

what HRM do you use?

can't decide to go for forerunner 50 w/no gps, but it's easy on the wallet

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
did it a few times with my wife, the spin class that is, but like many here, I rather pedal a bike that actually moves.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i tried the spin class thing a few years ago. good cardio, bad bike translation. the bikes are good provided you don't break them...which, when hammering on them at 235lbs. i blew up a couple. now i'm trainer and treadmill.

i hope chrisg jumps in and shares his spin class story. it's fantastic.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I've tried spin, and it is a nice way to mix it up, especially if you are not able to get out to ride during the week. A little change now and then can help motivate you. When I did do it, it was late winter to help push my intensity.

That being said, I don't do it much any more. I don't like all the jumps and non-sense. Maybe I never had a good instructor. Plus I prefer dirtbag gyms to fancy TV spin class gyms.

Riding a trainer is more like real riding to me, and you can adjust it for your needs during the season. If you have music, you can do most of it at home. I suppose if you have distractions at home like children, you may prefer to get out of the house.

Today was my first day on the trainer since last Feb. I only made it 25 minutes. So as you can see, I am not too disciplined. I just don't like to go overboard in the off-season. I want to keep biking fun. :)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have not spun, but I have used a trainer. If you can handle the monotony on being on a trainer it is really a great way to train intervals, you don't have to worry about cars/obstacles or changes in elevation. Its more of an exact science when it comes to heart rate. Having said that using a trainer is just to sterile for me. These days I just ride my rollers or better yet get out and ride.

walter

Fourth Party
i hope chrisg jumps in and shares his spin class story. it's fantastic.

Is it as good as the ingrown hair story he was telling at the first annual MTBNJ picnic?

I don't spin in a class but when I go to the gym I usually ride the bike as a warm up.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I spin at least 3 times a week simply because it's my only option. I can stick my kids in the daycare at the gym and spin. I can only use the trainer when my husband is around because the kids stand around and harass me while I'm on it. I only get to ride outside on those rare days my husband is home (weekends) unless I want to pay for a sitter $$$$$$

I spin for the cardio. Spin bikes are made for men. The handles bars are way wide and too high even in their lowest position. The reach is too long and if I move the seat up so mimic the distance of my bikes, well then my seat would be in front of my pedals. It's great to keep up the cardio up but it's not like being on a bike, even a trainer.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I have never spun, and don't intend to. I spend almost every day going nowhere fast, so the thought of some skinny little helth club nazi yelling at me to make it up an imaginary hill? Pass.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i tried the spin class thing a few years ago. good cardio, bad bike translation. the bikes are good provided you don't break them...which, when hammering on them at 235lbs. i blew up a couple. now i'm trainer and treadmill.

Heh, heh, me too! I broke 4 last winter and broke my 4th for this winter last Friday...boooyah!

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
eh, I did the gym thing for a year or maybe a little more. Never bothered to do the spin class. For me, it's like putting aerobars on a roadbike and riding that on the trainer, to train for mountain biking. It builds fitness, but is not specific enough. Plus, I hate the gym scene and most of the people you encounter in them.

sixseven

Middle class here. I have been doing weight training for the past few months and noticing that it seems to highlight old injuries and muscle issues that biking just doesn't bring out.
I am cutting out any of the stuff that stresses those points.
Spinning would be good, for now jumping rope is pretty fun between sets and as a warm up/down.

ellenserruto

Spin class isn't bad if there is NO way to ride on the trails AND there is GREAT MUSIC and a GREAT instructor in that order. I close my eyes and pretend to be elsewhere. Its not boring if I keep it to 2x/week or less.
I must say I belong to a gym where the members tend to really push themselves not just fake it. The room where the class is held is clean and pristine NOT smelly. Also it has an awesome sound system.
While on vacation I tried a class and it was a JOKE so I do take advantage of my gym's classes which are at no additional charge during the winter and make the most of it.
One more thing. . . I enjoy getting out of the house and away from its "work" to exercise. I feel "worked out" after a spin class but its not a substitute for riding

Top Bottom