Are there any ROCK CLIMBERS on this site?

S

Shar0se

Are there any rock climbers on this site? Just curious since I climb in the area.

Wazu

I'm taking lessons as sooooon as my thumbs heal up. Somewhere in New York that is like world renouned for climbing. I think the guy said it's like a 2 hr ride from East Hanover. I've known him for a long time and climbing is his thang. He's serious about it. Especially safety. You can take me too though!:)

Are there any rock climbers on this site? Just curious since I climb in the area.

Glancing Aft

I had a bad fall so I took a few years off, but am just starting to get back into it. For a few years (01- 04ish) climbing was my sport of choice, and the gunks where my second home. I haven't traveled too much else to climb. Been too:
- Acadia - Maine
- Lincoln Woods - Rhode Island
- The Gunks
and in NJ, Allamuchy, Tourne, and Pine Patties (shhhh ;) ).
Anyways, I've been mostly bouldering of late, but would like to get back into trad next year. Right now I'm climbing at NJRock every Wednesday night.

xc62701

You're going to the Gunks. The Shawangunk mountain range outside of New Paltz NY. It's great stuff. If you want to get some lessons you should come to Fairfield and climb at the NJ Rock Gym. It's a great place with a lot of great people. I'd be happy to show you around. I've been going there for probably the last 3 years. Bouldering/Rope Climbing is one of my other hobbies :D

T

tlnj

I'm looking to get into bouldering. Any recommended places. Harriman?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I've been climbing for about 8 years, but almost entirely on plastic. I've done a few trips to the Gunks and Ralph Stover and love climbing on rock, but it's time and equipment intensive.

I'm a weekly attendee here www.gardenstaterocks.com since they opened for business January 07. Finally, a gym close to my house. The drive to NJRG is heinous for me.

Eileen

I was at NJROCK in Fairfield for one of my college classes this past summer. Yes, I got credit for climbing :p It was lots of fun, but I haven't gotten back there yet.

Wazu

You're going to the Gunks. The Shawangunk mountain range outside of New Paltz NY. It's great stuff. If you want to get some lessons you should come to Fairfield and climb at the NJ Rock Gym. It's a great place with a lot of great people. I'd be happy to show you around. I've been going there for probably the last 3 years. Bouldering/Rope Climbing is one of my other hobbies :D

Yo Ry....that's it...New Paltz...that's where John said he'd take me. Maybe it was an 80 minute drive from like long valley or something. I appreciate the offer to go to Fairfield. When My hands heal up I'm gonna take you up on it! You pick up a bike yet?

S

Shar0se

Right now I'm climbing at NJRock every Wednesday night.
I'm sure I've seen you there then- I was going every Wed for about a month this fall- I'm trying to get there a couple times a week but it's not on a regular day. Wonder if I already know you?....lol

Wazu- yep the Gunx are great- you'll enjoy New Paltz- be sure to stop at the Gilded Otter brewery on the way out- you'll pass it on the main road in New Paltz.

Eileen- I just heard about that class! Aquatics and outdoor activities, right? Who teaches it?

xc62701

Yo Ry....that's it...New Paltz...that's where John said he'd take me. Maybe it was an 80 minute drive from like long valley or something. I appreciate the offer to go to Fairfield. When My hands heal up I'm gonna take you up on it! You pick up a bike yet?

I didn't pick up a replacement yet. I'm working on one though. Hopefully a 29'er SS.

Eileen

Eileen- I just heard about that class! Aquatics and outdoor activities, right? Who teaches it?

Yeah, Tobin teaches it in the summer. The climbing was definitely the best part of the class!! The people at NJROCK were awesome - the lady that owns the place gave us answers to his quizzes.

D

DANSPANK

I've been to NJ Rocks a couple of times and wouldn't mind getting back into it when the weather gets shitty and too wet to ride. Let me know when a group goes up there...

J

joanqs

I've been to NJ Rocks a couple of times and wouldn't mind getting back into it when the weather gets shitty and too wet to ride. Let me know when a group goes up there...

yes, let me know too! I have been to NJ Rocks a few times and few other similar places. Seriously considered opening a climbing place in Vernon to complement Mountain Creek and the proposed skatepark but the town seemed closed to the idea and my limted means didnt help either.......but would love to get back into it.

PlayAllDay

I used to rock climb in Vt, but haven't in years. I originally stopped because I was injured with a shattered collarbone from a rugby scrimmage. And just never started again. Rock climbing is great for fitness and it's so challenging/fun. I'd like to start again one day, but it's hard to find time when I'm always biking, boarding, or surfing. Haven't gone diving in a while either. :hmmm:

xc62701

If anyone is interested I'm sure we could put some dates together if anyone would want to get a group together to climb. NJRG has a lot of bouldering and tons or rope climbs. I'm certified to belay so we could get some people on ropes too. If you can belay you just need to take a belay test and then you can belay that day as well.

ArmyOfNone

I was climbing 2 or 3 times a week for a good while. Its been a few months since i have been back out. I keep trying to make plans to get out but they fall through. Id love to get in on a trip.

xc62701

Sounds good. How bout next Wednesday Dec 19th? Aim for 7. I'm usually there till closing which is 10:30. So come early come late whatever...come climb!

xc62701

If you want any info on prices etc... check out www.NJRockGym.com
I think just to climb it's $16, with gear(harness, shoes, chalk - I think) is $22.
Climb on!

Last edited:
Top Bottom