Are people using WTB TCS tires with Stan’s No Tubes rims? Any compatibility issues?

jackx

I understand that a lot of you have Stan’s No Tubes rims/wheels and I am wondering how many people use WTB brand TCS (Tubeless Compatible System) tires such as the Trailboss with Stan’s CREST, ARCH or FLOW rims. If so, any differences in compatibility with NoTubes rims between the WTB TCS “Tough” and “Light” tires?

The Stan’s No tubes website indicates that All non-tubeless 29er tires are compatible and most tubeless tires are compatible. It also specifically indicates the following as “Not recommended tires.

“WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan's Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.

http://www.notubes.com/help/recommendedtires.aspx

I have been running a tubeless setup (front & rear) of Maxxis Ignitors (2.1) on my 29er, and I wanted to try a wider tire up front. As recommended by a bike shop, I picked up a WTB TCS Trailboss LIGHT (2.25) and I am wondering if it will work with my Stan’s ARCH EX rims. There was no discussion at the shop about what rims I would be using.

Thanks!

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have used a TCS Wolverine on a 26" stans Arch EX without any issues in regards to mounting and riding.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I understand that a lot of you have Stan’s No Tubes rims/wheels and I am wondering how many people use WTB brand TCS (Tubeless Compatible System) tires such as the Trailboss with Stan’s CREAT, ARCH or FLOW rims. If so, any differences in compatibility with NoTubes rims between the WTB TCS “Tough” and “Light” tires?

The Stan’s No tubes website indicates that All non-tubeless 29er tires are compatible and most tubeless tires are compatible. It also specifically indicates the following as “Not recommended tires.

“WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan's Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.

http://www.notubes.com/help/recommendedtires.aspx

I have been running a tubeless setup (front & rear) of Maxxis Ignitors (2.1) on my 29er, and I wanted to try a wider tire up front. As recommended by a bike shop, I picked up a WTB TCS Trailboss LIGHT (2.25) and I am wondering if it will work with my Stan’s ARCH EX rims. There was no discussion at the shop about what rims I would be using.

Thanks!

They will be tight as hell, but you can get em on.

Good news is that they will not burp.

j

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have a pair of WTB WeirWolf TCS 29's I can not get them to mount on my flows.
When I checked the WTB site and they say the are not compatible with the stans wheels.

jackx

j

Thanks for your insight that they will be tight and won't burp.

The Trailboss Light was super easy to set up on a DT Swiss rim, and I did not even need to use soapy water to seal and set the beads.

onetracker

I was told by WTB that WTB Tires are built to UST standards. UST rims have a different circumference (larger) than Stans rims which are not built to the UST standard. I could not get a WTB tire on a Stans rim and would fear that if you needed to get a tube in that tire on a Stans rim in the event of a flat in the field that you would be up the creek.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I was told by WTB that WTB Tires are built to UST standards. UST rims have a different circumference (larger) than Stans rims which are not built to the UST standard. I could not get a WTB tire on a Stans rim and would fear that if you needed to get a tube in that tire on a Stans rim in the event of a flat in the field that you would be up the creek.
I am pretty sure the UST is smaller. I could be wrong, (I didn't bother looking it up). These are super useful when you want to run tubeless on no tubeless specific rims. The TCS tires are really a bit small with Stans' rims but that hasn't stopped a ton of people from riding them Knowing they will never burp is nice. They do seem to stretch a bit after some time mounted though..

jackx

j

Bring em next time you come by. I will get em on.
I make no promises about your ability to remove them.

The fact that they will be so tight on the Stan's rims highlights a concern for trail repair if they are so hard to remove. Or maybe the concern is low if indeed they will not burp.

I wonder if WTB TCS tires are even tighter on the FLOWs as they are a few mm wider than CREST and ARCH. It probably makes no difference if the rim circumferences are the same.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

How r they in comparison to Seguaros? I recall them being tight but with the right levers they could be put on with little issues trail side.

j

onetracker

I am pretty sure the UST is smaller. I could be wrong, (I didn't bother looking it up). These are super useful when you want to run tubeless on no tubeless specific rims. The TCS tires are really a bit small with Stans' rims but that hasn't stopped a ton of people from riding them Knowing they will never burp is nice. They do seem to stretch a bit after some time mounted though..
J is right. UST is smaller. Sorry for the confusion.

jackx

J is right. UST is smaller. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, I would think that would be the case if WTB Tires are built to UST standards (and they fit on UST rims, but are very tight on Stan's NoTubes rims.

Thanks for confirming.

jackx

In that case i wouldn't consider the WTB as an option for my bike. The non burping as a positive doesn't out weigh the head ache of trail side maintenance

You're probably right, but I have faith that the WTBs will stretch a bit after being mounted for some time.

Top Bottom