Archer D1X Trail - e-shifting for everyone

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Pinkbike's Take
I like the fact that a US company managed to get a wireless electronic shifter out on the market before the big guys, even if it is a little rough around the edges. Personally, the fewer electronic gadgets on my bike the better, so I won't be making the switch, but I can imagine that there are plenty of garage tinkerers that will have a field day coming up with all kinds of wild drivetrain combinations thanks to this device. For the rest of us, the tried-and-true fully cable actuated shifter / derailleur combo is still unmatched when it comes to simplicity and price vs. performance.

Could not have said it better

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's neat and I'd like it as it may make shoving the bike in my suitcase a lot easier. Taking the singlespeed on the airplane a few months ago was so easy.

-I like that it can allow some weird combos. Like maybe use a long-cage 9-speed XTR rear derailleur with an 11 speed cassette. Or something.
-They need something like TRP did with DI2 where they used their singlespeed road shifters with DI2 pushbuttons on the top of the hoods.

I'm kind of with Kevin on this. It's neat, but in reality I could just hookup the front mechanical shifter.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just got an email that everything is on sale for the week through Dec 2.

GX eagle dome, der, chain, D1x shifter/controller $579

other deals in-place.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MadDan already well into page 2 and no Archer meme?
Everything okay at home?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Found this on IG and glad to see someone already got this, how’s it going? They ended up doing the TRP setup which is very very interesting to me, i loved the way those hoods felt, wood be interesting on gravel/cx bike

Patrick

Staff member
Found this on IG and glad to see someone already got this, how’s it going? They ended up doing the TRP setup which is very very interesting to me, i loved the way those hoods felt, wood be interesting on gravel/cx bike

it works well! very consistent.
It took a bunch of work to get the mid-range shifting correctly.
just micro adjustments, and can do them on the bike with the shifter.

I don't have a bunch of miles. running 11 speed with x-9 derailleur.

i forget to charge the batteries. reminds me, i should take them out.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can see it useful in backpacking scenarios where the cable can get in the way of bags. Until it shorts out on you in a downpour in the middle of nowhere.

Karate Monkey

I can see it useful in backpacking scenarios where the cable can get in the way of bags. Until it shorts out on you in a downpour in the middle of nowhere.

I still think it's a hack, but if you can't figure out how to set your derailleur into a certain gear, you shouldn't be riding in the middle of nowhere.

Patrick

Staff member
I still think it's a hack, but if you can't figure out how to set your derailleur into a certain gear, you shouldn't be riding in the middle of nowhere.
can't disagree with that!

-----
DX-1 has limp mode! if it sense the battery losing juice, it will go to a pre-defined cog and stay there.

the coolest thing is that the stops are programmable - so running an 11 speed cassette with a 10 sp derailleur is possible
or other combos. it does introduce some issues - like getting n-w jockey wheels helps.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
can't disagree with that!

-----
DX-1 has limp mode! if it sense the battery losing juice, it will go to a pre-defined cog and stay there.

the coolest thing is that the stops are programmable - so running an 11 speed cassette with a 10 sp derailleur is possible
or other combos. it does introduce some issues - like getting n-w jockey wheels helps.
So how many miles is not many miles? Just trying to understand the level of testing here.

Patrick

Staff member
Update -

Archer came out with two upgrades to their original model. The first was moving from two cells (er you call them batteries) to three.
The unit shifts faster with less battery life. Change the batteries, and the app updates the firmware and away ya go.
They also sent a new charging dock - easy peasy.

Now the big one - that fuggly shifter pictured above, well here ya go. it is more ergonomic and smaller than the AXS unit.
$200 upgrade that was well worth it. Rather than using a removable battery, it is USB rechargeable.
I'm thinking it would be easy enough to use a portable battery.

With the fatbike on the shelf, perhaps we'll put some hours on the old Paragon!

1649112158099.png

Top Bottom