Archer D1X Trail - e-shifting for everyone

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
https://www.archercomponents.com/

So here is the concept. take your cassette, no matter how many cogs, and a derailleur that can handle the largest one, even if it isn't made for the
number of cogs installed, and add wireless shifting to it. There is a programmable controller, to locate each shift point, and a shifter "sending unit"
which can be programmed to do multi-shift, and a few other cool things. Use your phone to program the system.

So way back in February, I ordered the D1X. The product rep (Devin - in the company vids) reached out, and told me they were updating the
unit to the D1X Trail which shifted a bit faster, and had better battery management. No hurry, i'll wait.
I paid a bit under $400 - Looks like it is going for about $50 less now.
Edit: I have the sending unit which can do micro adjustments on the fly - there is an up-charge for that.

In the box:
Shifter pod + clamp (it is sram matchmaker compatible)
Derailleur controller
Short piece of jagwire cable and jacket
couple of straps, some extra bolts
batteries, and USB capable charger (no cable, or transformer - cause we don't need another)

Pre-game:
Charge the batteries - there are two for the controller, one for the sending unit. Claim is they last 80-160 hours depending on settings.
Unlike the etap, these units have an off button. When the controller is shut down, the shifter loses contact, and shuts down.

1574129917999.png

First the derailleur controller is installed - easy enough - find a place belown the chainstay where is doesn't interfere with the chain or your shoe.

1574130048492.png

Cut the jacket and put the ferrules on. Thread it through the derailleur, and leave it loose. Remove the wheel, and secure the controller.

I didn't video the installation - but they did. They also explain the programming.

Install the shifter, like any other shifter. Pair it and away you go.

1574130286081.png

Yes, my wife is traveling, so i brought the stand and bike into the house. These pics are going to show up in icloud, and
I'm going to get some push back, but in the end, she supports my habit. (cause this or, i really want the 308 gtb)

Observations:

1. It was not difficult to install and complete the initial programming. It needs some tweaking, and testing the "overshoot shift" feature.
2. the app crashed a couple times - or actually it lost communications, so had to back out, one level and restart.
3. the programming didn't seem to start with reasonable values - NBD, but could save a few minutes.
4. The instructions seemed confusing. put in gear to program, program, put in next gear (there is a next/prev gear buttons)

Some issues:

1. when i removed the battery in the controller, the spring for the negative connection popped out, and went somewhere.
I was lucky to find it. It is supposed to be pressed into the "cap" - but wasn't. I found it, and pushed it into the cap - which wasn't easy.
2. there is a rubber cover where the shift cable is inserted (cable is replaceable) it doesn't fit cleanly over the opening in the controller.
3. the battery cover on the shifter has two allen head bolts - they are not trapped in the cover. take the cover off, be careful. They drop on the ground.

Turn it on

Shift it - needs work.

Stay tuned - i'm going to try to ride it!

Last edited:
Wow, that's one ugly remote. They should have offered a way to rotate he remote as I'd think the inline buttons will feel awkward
But for only $300 worth the experiment. Waiting for the ergonomic models...

This thing actually has very good reviews on pink bike.

Wow, that's one ugly remote. They should have offered a way to rotate he remote as I'd think the inline buttons will feel awkward
But for only $300 worth the experiment. Waiting for the ergonomic models...

i think a two-way rocker, rather than buttons would have worked better. more of a slide up/down movement then a press.
They are spread a bit too much (first impression) but the feedback is good.

I wonder what the advantages are of this system? The biggest advantage you get from going to electric shifting is being able to shift under load in any circumstances, but that's because of the motors in the derailleur itself. Having a cable attached to a remote is the same as having a cable attached to the handlebar, you're still limited to cable-like performance. It's still cool, but it's not electronic shifting by any means.

I am just asking myself, why? What are the proposed advantages this is offering?

I am just asking myself, why? What are the proposed advantages this is offering?

the controller is oblivious to the number of cogs or the pull ratio of the derailleur.
I could use that old X9 with an 11sp cassette and make it work without an issue.
(why would i do that, is a different question)

With the cable being 4" long, there is a big difference in cable and housing flex.
there is also a big difference when you two shift under power vs me......

I'll be playing with it this week - i'll call it wireless shifting if that helps :D
obviously the biggest bonus - eliminates the aerodynamic drag of the cable stops/bosses. :p

the controller is oblivious to the number of cogs or the pull ratio of the derailleur.
I could use that old X9 with an 11sp cassette and make it work without an issue.
(why would i do that, is a different question)

With the cable being 4" long, there is a big difference in cable and housing flex.
there is also a big difference when you two shift under power vs me......

I'll be playing with it this week - i'll call it wireless shifting if that helps :D
obviously the biggest bonus - eliminates the aerodynamic drag of the cable stops/bosses. :p
Housing flex is very minimal on shifting, braking is a different story. But how does housing flex compare to the adding another mechanical piece to the mix?

Last edited:
I guess not feeling quite as bad when ya whack the RD on a rock....?

This is a legitimate concern this time of year. Every lunch ride a stick gets caught it my $700 RD. Thankfully the motor is strong enough that I will usually just break the stick when I shift. But one of these days, it won't. Luckily I have spares ?

So basically

advantages
*eliminate MOST of the cable/housing...Which if your bikes are like mine and run internal...that's kinda nice.
*better shifting, possibly.

disadvantages as I see it

*reliability until proven otherwise?
*as @jimvreeland mentioned...now that I have the eagle axs and see how well it shifts....as in I just hold the button down and it sweeps up or down...its not going to do that....but im also going to cry when I destroy my eagle derailuer.

Looks cool....$389...not sure if id spend that over the axs, but I like the idea.

Housing flex is very minimal on shifting, braking is a different story. But how does housing flex compare to the adding another mechanical piece to the mix?

Looks like this is a jackshaft with a bi-directional stepper motor - so pull motion is linear.
There are no pawls/release mechanism, so that is a bonus.
Minimal cable stretch on such a small piece.
No head unit integration afaik

I'm going to guess by the size of AXS uses a set of helical gears with a clutch,
cause a jackshaft would fail on first jamb. So throw in a position sensor.
Cool factor through the roof.

Last edited:
So basically

advantages
*eliminate MOST of the cable/housing...Which if your bikes are like mine and run internal...that's kinda nice.
*better shifting, possibly.

disadvantages as I see it

*reliability until proven otherwise?
*as @jimvreeland mentioned...now that I have the eagle axs and see how well it shifts....as in I just hold the button down and it sweeps up or down...its not going to do that....but im also going to cry when I destroy my eagle derailuer.

Looks cool....$389...not sure if id spend that over the axs, but I like the idea.

It is $1,000 to equip an "already eagle" bike to AXS (minus what you sell the take-off bits)
If the bike isn't rocking eagle components already, a gx eagle dome/chain is in the $250 range?
But who is going to run GX level with that? so $500.

Is the AXS derailleur a two piece unit? the motor/brains separate from the mechanical bits?

---
what a long-press does on the D1X is programmable.
---
what these really need is a bit of AI and DSP - so rather than having to tune it with an app, it can figure out best rate/position by listening to the sounds
of the shift, and again once the chain settles into the cog.

I think the real positive is how easy it would be to move bike to bike... say morning of race day snafu.

Back
Top Bottom