anyone running 1x9

jimjo

after drinking the ss kool aid ive been riding my geared bike a whole lot differently (ie more standing and mashing as opposed to spinning) as a result im not using my granny at all and i have yet to really have a need for the big ring (other than a bash guard) so my thoughts have bee going to 1x9 for simplicity sake and i guess a little weight savings

Ian F

I think it depends on where you ride... Personally, I like having a full range of gears... I used all three front rings this past weekend... but at the same time, I run a 11-30 cassette... When I build my 29er, will I sing the same tune? Who knows... but considering it's quite likely the bike will also be 8 speed (just realized I have at least 2 complete XTR 12-32 drive-trains, in good condition, not being used...), it's possible.

Most of my XC friends all run 1x9 set-ups now... yet I remember how they looked askew at me when I showed up for a ride with my Chameleon with it's slalom set-up... basically: a 1x9 with an MRP chain guide... (my only 9 spd bike) about 10 years ago... :rolleyes:

I guess the difference is, I hate walking... HATE it... and I'd rather crawl up a climb in my granny gear than push my bike...

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I ran 1x9 for a good part of the season last year. I couldn't get it dialed so I've since returned to a triple. It's a great concept if you have a trail bike and can run a beefier chainguide system.

-Jim.

jimjo

I ran 1x9 for a good part of the season last year. I couldn't get it dialed so I've since returned to a triple. It's a great concept if you have a trail bike and can run a beefier chainguide system.

-Jim.

what was the issue in getting it "dialed?"

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
1x9

after drinking the ss kool aid ive been riding my geared bike a whole lot differently (ie more standing and mashing as opposed to spinning) as a result im not using my granny at all and i have yet to really have a need for the big ring (other than a bash guard) so my thoughts have bee going to 1x9 for simplicity sake and i guess a little weight savings

If taking off the big ring and sticking with a single, I would strongly recommend bumping up to a 36-t or 38-t. Otherwise your putting a major governer on your rig. It's quite difficult to hold a chain with a 1x9 without some sort of chain-tensioner/roller guide.:hmmm:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
what was the issue in getting it "dialed?"

I was using a jumpstop on the seat tube and a bashring as an outer ring. It worked well most of the time. In the rough stuff I was able to detension the rear derailleur enough to allow the chain to pop either sit on top of the guide or off the outside all together. It never happened during training rides, only during races when I was pushing it hard. I was even running a short-cage derailleur and had my chain cut down super-short:hmmm:

-Jim.

Top Bottom