Anyone know why trails are marked closed?- Hoeferlin and Cannonball

UnionRider475

Just went to ride from Back Beach park in Haskell and signs are posted that trails are closed . Underneath it mentions Bear are known to be found in the area but I see those signs all over . Anyone here anything?

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have no idea but something must have happened today. On my way home from TM, Park police had both the Skyline lot & the lower Ramapo lot closed. Weird seeing them empty on such a beautiful day.

UnionRider475

Yes - definitely connected . I was talking to someone in town who said they had heard of complaints of bear - get this -" in the woods" in town .

Rockbottom

I parked at the lot on top of Skyline Dr. around 9am yesterday. The ranger told us the park was closed due to a "disruptive" bear in the area. At the bottom parking lot there were 4 identical black Chevy SUVs parked there with what looked like some important people. Curious to know what was going on.

When the ranger told us there was a disruptive bear, I asked if the bear was stealing picknik baskets......she was not amused. :shrug:

huffster

@Rockbottom I literally laughed out loud at your last sentence.

With the many, many times I have encountered/seen black bears, I have never known one to be "disruptive". They tend to go there way, and I go mine. I have to wonder what these people are doing.

On a similar note, if I called 911 every time I saw a bear, I'd be calling almost every time I go to Wawayanda and 1/2 the time I go to Jungle. < There's bear in them there woods. Ringwood/Ramapo is probably #3 for bear sightings on my list.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I ran into (better said, biked into) the rangers by the Cannonball bridge on Sunday. I was on my way out to the secret parking spot ;), that one wasn't closed....they had the full artillery...I can say they were not happy to see me. Neighbor down there said the encounter happened between bear and creep hiker guy who I think it is a fixture on the Cannonball trail. Creepy hiker guy is not fond of MTBers either...o_O

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ran into (better said, biked into) the rangers by the Cannonball bridge on Sunday. I was on my way out to the secret parking spot ;), that one wasn't closed....they had the full artillery...I can say they were not happy to see me. Neighbor down there said the encounter happened between bear and creep hiker guy who I think it is a fixture on the Cannonball trail. Creepy hiker guy is not fond of MTBers either...o_O

According to the comments in the Sep 19 article, it was a young lady and her nephew who had the incident. They were carrying food and decided to run and bear followed them and they threw the food at the bear (paraphrasing).

I thought it was odd that they would close the trails in Oct because of a Sept 19 incident. So maybe there was another encounter with the angry creepy hiker guy which prompted the closure.

I'm guessing that angry creepy hiker guy knows what to do when he sees a bear, so maybe it really is a problem bear.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Multiple incidents:

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/...e_of_ramapo_mountain_s.html#incart_river_home

Bear encounters force closure of Ramapo Mountain State Forest
By Justin Zaremba | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
October 06, 2015 at 1:01 PM, updated October 06, 2015 at 1:03 PM

One of New Jersey's estimated 2,500 black bears shown in this NJ Advance Media file photo. (File photo)
Ramapo Mountain State Forest, located in Bergen and Passaic counties, has been closed this week as a precaution due to several recent encounters by a potentially aggressive bear including two over the weekend.

All access points to the 4,200-acre state forest will remain closed at least until the end of the week despite the capture and euthanization of the bear believed responsible for several recent encounters, the state Division of Fish and Wildlife said in a news release.

Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Hajna told NJ Advance Media the 2-year-old female bear that biologists believe was responsible for these encounters was caught and killed on Monday, but numerous traps will remain in place and continue to be monitored by Fish and Wildlife officials.

"There aren't a lot of bears to our knowledge in Ramapo so we feel pretty confident that we trapped the one responsible, but we want to be extremely cautious and keep the traps out there for the time being," he said.

Hajna said the goal was to reopen the forest by the end of the week but "it could be longer."

Fish and Wildlife conservation officers were notified of two different bear-human encounters on Saturday. In the first incident, three female hikers were pursued by a bear, but they were able to escape unharmed after they came upon a male hiker and his dog.

Later in the day, a bear followed another male hiker on the park's Yellow Trail. During that encounter, the hiker reported that the bear repeatedly approached and swatted at him. The hiker fought back with pepper spray but the bear continued to pursue him, only giving up its pursuit near a pedestrian bridge that crosses Route 287. The hiker was not injured and no contact was made with the bear, according to Fish and Wildlife
On Sept. 19, a 21-year-old woman and a 7-year-old boy were closely followed by a potentially aggressive black bear at the forest off of Skyline Drive in Oakland, which spurred the setting of a bear trap in the area.

Another park visitor told state officials he, too, came in close proximity to the bear, which stopped about 15 feet from the man and his dog. The bear paced for several minutes before backing away, the man told Fish and Wildlife.

Division of Fish and Wildlife conservation officers, wildlife control officers and State Park police canvassed the park all day Sunday, when the park was first closed. They also set traps and closed a portion of the forest closed to hiking.

"In most cases, encounters between people and bears end without incident," according to the Division of Fish and Wildlife. "However, black bears are wild animals and the Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds the public that it is very important for people who live in or visit New Jersey's bear country to be alert to their presence, especially when hiking."

The Division of Fish and Wildlife recommends the following tips when hiking in bear country:

• Never feed or approach a bear.
  • Make your presence on the trail known by speaking loudly, singing, clapping your hands, or making other noises.
  • Remain calm if you encounter a bear. Do not run from it. Do not make direct eye contact with the bear, as this may be perceived as a challenge. Slowly back away.
  • Make sure the bear has an escape route.
  • If the bear continues to follow you or is otherwise undeterred, make loud noises by yelling, blow a whistle, bang pots and pans, or use an air horn, if available. Make yourself look as big as possible by waving your arms. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head.
  • If a bear stands on its hind legs or moves closer, it may be trying to get a better view or detect scents in the air. It is usually not a threatening behavior.
  • The bear may utter a series of huffs, make popping jaw sounds by snapping its jaws and swat the ground. These are warning signs that you are too close. Slowly back away, avoid direct eye contact and do not run.
  • Black bears will sometimes "bluff charge" when cornered, threatened or attempting to steal food. Stand your ground, avoid direct eye contact, then slowly back away and do not run.
  • Black bear attacks are extremely rare. However, if one does attack, fight back. Do not "play dead."
  • If you see a bear, in particular one that does not show much fear, immediately contact local police or the Department of Environmental Protection's hotline at (877) 927-6337, or (877) WARN-DEP.

UnionRider475

Story was just on Channel 4 news . They said there has been 3 incidents with this bear , including the bear standing on hind legs and becoming very aggressive. They have put a bear down that they believe was the aggressive bear , but are keeping the trails closed until the end of the week and will reevaluate after that.

UnionRider475

Wow - still ? Someone took the signs down by me at Back Beach . Been hiking a bit on Cannonball up to Ramapo Lake . No wonder it's been so quiet !

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions