Anyone have experience with Yeti Warranty replacement?

bergsnj

I discovered a crack in the bottom bracket area of my sb5.5 underneath the rubber protector. I took it to the shop to submit the warranty claim and they say it appears to be impact related and that I will probably have to pay for a crash replacement front triange. I did tell them that i heard a rock hit that area during the ride before i found the crack. But that is not uncommon and they put rubber there for that very reason. This crack is under the rubber protector. They were throwing out big figures like $1,500 for a replacement and I'm pretty upset about it. The bike is 7 months old. I just dropped it off so i don't know what the outcome will be but i'm nervous. Anyone have any experience with Yeti warranties? I bought the bike online from competitive cyclist so the shop has no reason to go to bat for me other than to earn a new customer. They seemed like good guys but they made it clear that they do not think yeti will send a free front triangle. I guess I'm just venting my fears on you guys...Anyone have a hook-up at Yeti?

Last edited:
Did you contact Competitive Cyclist to see if they’ll help you. Whoever the retailer is should stand by what they sell.

Did you contact Competitive Cyclist to see if they’ll help you. Whoever the retailer is should stand by what they sell.
I called Yeti and they told me to take it to any dealer to do the warranty process. I could send it back to competitive cyclist too but I figured the outcome should be the same because the decision is with Yeti as the manufacturer.

I had a crack appear in the bottom bracket area of my 5.5 as well. And similar to your situation the bike was purchased out of state (at a shop not online retailer) so I brought it to a local shop here in NJ for some assistance.

The first question that the local shop asked was did you buy it from us. I had a hunch since they asked that question things may be difficult and sure enough as soon as I said no they started to rattle off all the things they would need to do to just tell me if it would be a warranty claim. I was told it would cost around $250 to take the bike apart, box it up, and ship it to Yeti for evaluation which was rather shocking.

I called Yeti to ask them for their input on this and their response was “we do not set guidelines for how shop’s run their business”. They also said that they do not need the frame for evaluation, however everything needs to go through a dealer.

So I called the shop which I purchased the bike from and they said that they would need to see the bike which becomes challenging when it’s a couple states away. So I kind of gave up because I wasn’t going to spend good money for someone to give me a yes or no answer. I keep an eye on the crack and if it gets worse I may look into this further, but for now it’s just too much time, money, and energy to chase. Needless to say the customer service on both sides (Yeti & the local shop) is rather lackluster based on my experience. Hopefully yours will be better.

Yeah, welcome to bike warranties. I've had some good experiences and some not so good experiences. Seeing how it's hard to get a Yeti for under $5k, I wouldn't be too happy getting push back on a rock strike. If you were close with the dealer, they'd probably do their best to pull some strings for you. As a rando just walking in - good luck!

Can you post a pic - just curious.

PS - there are companies that will repair carbon for well under $1.5k

Last edited:
one thing I'm hearing is remove the protector occasionally for inspection? Or did that break on you?
The protector is nothing more than a piece of rubber with a sticky backing that sticks to the frame. You can buy replacements from Yeti. I wouldn't have ever peeled it back if I didnt see the damage peeking out from under it. Here is a pic:
IMG_3387.jpg

I had a crack appear in the bottom bracket area of my 5.5 as well. And similar to your situation the bike was purchased out of state (at a shop not online retailer) so I brought it to a local shop here in NJ for some assistance.

The first question that the local shop asked was did you buy it from us. I had a hunch since they asked that question things may be difficult and sure enough as soon as I said no they started to rattle off all the things they would need to do to just tell me if it would be a warranty claim. I was told it would cost around $250 to take the bike apart, box it up, and ship it to Yeti for evaluation which was rather shocking.

I called Yeti to ask them for their input on this and their response was “we do not set guidelines for how shop’s run their business”. They also said that they do not need the frame for evaluation, however everything needs to go through a dealer.

So I called the shop which I purchased the bike from and they said that they would need to see the bike which becomes challenging when it’s a couple states away. So I kind of gave up because I wasn’t going to spend good money for someone to give me a yes or no answer. I keep an eye on the crack and if it gets worse I may look into this further, but for now it’s just too much time, money, and energy to chase. Needless to say the customer service on both sides (Yeti & the local shop) is rather lackluster based on my experience. Hopefully yours will be better.

How good is your relationship with your LBS? Send me an IM and tell me which one it was (looks like you're up north here), I can recommend you mine (unless they're the guys busting your balls, which I doubt). I broke my bike, that I didn't buy from them, in a bad crash, and they stripped it down, and re-assembled when the new frame came, for much less than $250. I'm a good customer there, so they take care of me.

Try contacting competitive cyclist, I've had 2 frames warranties through them (not yeti) and it was very fast easy process.

The shop says yeti cant get me an sb5.5 replacement till august but yeti will give me %50 off a new sb150. Either way i have to pay. I’m having them ask if i can get an sb130 for %50 off. Pretty bummed. I should probably just get it fixed. But the new geometry would be cool too. Would need to get a new fork down the line too as the new models have 44mm offset but mine is 51mm.

Just going to add some closure to this thread. First of all, the damage to my frame was my fault from an impact, not a manufacturing defect. No bike brand would give away a free replacement for rider induced damage. In the end I dealt with the place where i bought the bike, Competitive cyclist. Yeti was going to give me a new front AND rear triangle for $800 which is very reasonable when compared to what I have paid for a crash replacement part from another manufacturer in the past. I opted to go with the discounted 2019 model SB150 at a serious discount instead . Competitive cyclist covered shipping both ways and did the parts swap FOR FREE. All in all this was a very pleaseant experience and I have the latest model bike. I have nothing but good things to say about Yeti's warranty. That is my real feedback now that this is all settled.

I miss my yetis. It ain’t gonna happen but I’d love them to remake the 575. Aluminium for 27.5 wheels. I can dream can’t I? My old pair; the RP was all D/A and king hubs, headset and bb, ASR was xtr and same king stuff.

Attachments

• 1F38B305-BA2C-4D59-82C0-432B0403D82C.jpeg
    1F38B305-BA2C-4D59-82C0-432B0403D82C.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 289
  • FDD34DF0-491C-4856-85F8-DAC0A14BB33D.jpeg
    FDD34DF0-491C-4856-85F8-DAC0A14BB33D.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 281
Back
Top Bottom