Anyone do their own phone screen repair/replace?

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Looking to fix up a phone with a busted display (Galaxy S10+). Doesn't look terribly difficult and i'm always up for learning new tricks. Biggest issue is deciding where to buy the new display from... looks like a lot of sites sell similar products. Wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with some of the the suppliers. A few that seem popular based on searching are Digital Supply USA, WITRIGS, Repair Parts USA, IFIXIT (most expensive)..

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've used iFixIt a few times for iPhones. Looks like their prices kept creeping up, but no issues so far with their products and they have great step-by-step guides.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i use the place at the mall.
I've been into the back of phones, and all the small connectors and specialty tools (i know, you can buy the kit)
really doesn't make it worth doing to save a relatively small increment given the risk.

Think it is iCity - check for coupon.

I do clean my charging port when things get wonky - it is scary in there!

Cassinonorth

I did once years ago. It was an old HTC Rezound (or Droid Incredible maybe?). Wasn't super hard...having the small tools makes things much easier. The problem is the parts are relatively expensive. My sister wanted me to replace her screen but scoffed at the pricetag ($150 roughly). Went the new phone route instead.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I've used iFixIt a few times for iPhones. Looks like their prices kept creeping up, but no issues so far with their products and they have great step-by-step guides.

They're $110 over DSUSA which is a tough pill to swallow... but good to know they may be worth the value. Thanks!

i use the place at the mall.
I've been into the back of phones, and all the small connectors and specialty tools (i know, you can buy the kit)
really doesn't make it worth doing to save a relatively small increment given the risk.

Think it is iCity - check for coupon.

I do clean my charging port when things get wonky - it is scary in there!

I already have the tools. With 4 kids that will eventually have phones, and likely break them, i'd like to give this a shot. I've been in small electronics before, including an old phone that I took apart for "fun"... yeah i was bored and it was raining.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I did once years ago. It was an old HTC Rezound (or Droid Incredible maybe?). Wasn't super hard...having the small tools makes things much easier. The problem is the parts are relatively expensive. My sister wanted me to replace her screen but scoffed at the pricetag ($150 roughly). Went the new phone route instead.

I actually went the new phone route too so I could be up and running immediately, but mostly because I had buyers remorse for getting the S10+ instead of the S10.... it was just so damn big. The S10+ is a pretty expensive unit, so i figured id repair it, get a good case for it, and it'll end up being my sons phone/tablet type thing.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i did my s4 several times, but that pre-dated the one piece shells, iv attempted them too (s7 i couldnt get the new screen to seat properly, likely bc it wasnt a samsung part but bought online), but i have not had good experience getting them to close back up properly and have even made things worse by playing with it. I have the suction cup separator plier if you want to borrow them (im going to be down your way tomorrow, i could stop by).

pkovo

I did an iPhone 5 last year. Battery and screen. I just picked one off of amazon prime that had decent reviews. Watched a you tube video on how to do it and it went pretty well. The only part I was surprised by was the tiny screws were all slightly different lengths. I ended up mixing them up.

Fast forward to last week, and my daughter somehow managed to drop the phone into the dogs water bowl. I opened it up and dried it out, but the screen now has lines on it so....

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Ah good info about the screws!! I'll keep them in order just in case.

Further research lead me to Mobile Defenders, Mobilesentrix, and Injured Gadgets.

I went with an oem service pack from Injured Gadgets because it was actually in stock, is cheaper than just the screen from ifixit, and is supposedly the easiest method since you only swap the battery and motherboard from the broken phone.

Will follow up with my pass or fail!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah good info about the screws!! I'll keep them in order just in case.

Further research lead me to Mobile Defenders, Mobilesentrix, and Injured Gadgets.

I went with an oem service pack from Injured Gadgets because it was actually in stock, is cheaper than just the screen from ifixit, and is supposedly the easiest method since you only swap the battery and motherboard from the broken phone.

Will follow up with my pass or fail!

can i watch you attempt this while drinking your beer? kthanks :rolleyes:

Top Bottom