anybody running stan's rims?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I'm having some wheels built and I am stuck on the rims. I'm down to the ztr 355 and the mavic 717. I will probably go tubeless, but the 819 are way too heavy so I am ruling them out.

I really like the rim shape of the stans', plus they are lighter and more tubeless friendly. My wheelbuilder is hesitant to build the wheels with the ztrs because he has had experience with them flexing alot more laterally than he would like.

My thinking is that running tubeless, the 717s will allow the tire to move more laterally due to the 2mm narrower rim bead with, in which case it's a toss up as to which rim will feel less solid.

Now, I want to find someone who rides the stan's rims that can tell me about them. I saw pixy's post on mtbr, but that probably isnt a fair comparo since the I9 setup is the ultimate in stiffness.

Anybody?

D

dzm3

29er or 26er? Your weight? THe bike to be used on? Type of riding?

I ran ZTR 355 29er for about a year on my rigid SS. I'm 190-ish. These wheels were built to WTB hubs (that was 1580g wheelset!!!). Ran them tubles with number of different tires. With stans rim strips. Worked great. However, for my riding and my weight 355 were a little on the light side, and after a year the rear was toast.

Now I have a set of Flows built to I9 hubs/spokes. Again tubles. Been another year or so, run then hard over any rocks we have here and not a problem, as straight and string as day one. Run then with yellow tape and valve stems. Doing tules conversions is very easy and no issues with burping or anything.

I'd say for racing, for lighter riders on smoother trails, ZTR 355s are the ticket. For more care free enjoymen of riding hard and not worrying what you're ridin gover, go with Arches or Flows.

dz

Tommyklein

Very light and fast. What's your weight, riding style, and intended purpose? I believe these wheels have a weight limit and I'm right near it at 180. I have these wheels on my race bike and although they're light and fast I wouldn't recommend them for everyday use on rocky trails. The spokes tend to creak and loosen up. Not really out of true that much, but just annoying and noisy. It's gotten so annoying that I ride with my ipod on all the time now. Another thing to consider is the ZTR arch rim. It's a little heavier than the 355, but lighter than mavic 819.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
ZTR 355s here -- Geoff from Campmor built mine too. Only 2 rides on them so obviously no long-term feedback, but it's worth noting now much great info Geoff gave me when I picked them up. Highly recommended.

At this point tubeless is a bit of a no-brainer for me. I avoided it for too long. The 717s are around 400g so not that much of a weight penalty, but the cost is about the same and the Stans are a tubeless rim, so that did it for me.

Mine are laced to Pro IIs. Best set I could afford.

743power

Shop Keep
I weigh 155 with gear, bike is a trance, hubs will be 240s, mostly ride central/south nj area, philly, de/md stuff, nothing too rocky other than wissahickon.

I'm considering an arch in the back which is around the same weight as the xc717, and going with the 355 in the front.

RogerRacer

wheels that go round

I am on a 29er this year, with stans wheels with good results .So far.I am runing a 355 up front with a american classic hub & for the rear a Arch with a king hub.I am using the yellow tape with the valve stem.& specialized captin tires. I wt 185 lbs, did the first 3 root 66 race's this year .& no problems at all .The arch is a little heaver duty than the 355.The american classic hub is the lightist front hub you can get for the money$$$$$$$$$ & the king hub well it's just awsome Love it!!!!!!!!!! or you can just go for a set of cross max both R verry good That's my 2 cents

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i looked at the stans but i'm concerned about the durability of them (29er version). i'd also really, really like to go tubeless so who knows where i'll net out. but, since i'm still hovering in the lower reaches of the clyde class, i really need to pay attention to durability. i'm hoping that either the syncros AM DS28, the salsa gordo or the "new" mavic hoop will be the ticket for me. king bling on the hubs..

ArmyOfNone

I learned yesterday that shimano will be releasing their xt tubeless 29er wheelset in July. The rep spoke highly of them, well he better right?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Check - Minus

I have built countless wheels over the last 15 years. Recently I have built a few Stan's rims.

I found the rims to be unimpressive from a wheel builders perspective. The alloy seems to be much softer that any rim I have come in contact with. If I was judging the feel of the rims I would compare them to a $25 el-cheap-O single wall Cheng-Feng rim. Without eyelets the nipples grind into the rim bed. This design is lighter but not as solid as an eyeleted rim.

The design of the rim extrusion that holds the tire in place is novel but overall the rims feel cheap and flimsy as compared to a Mavic rim for example.

The real confusion and danger w/ Stan's comes in the 29er version. While it seems that you can run just about any tire tubeless on a 26" it is not the same on a 29er rim.

Stan's web site basically says that you should only use wire bead 29er tires, their crow tire or a tubeless ready tire.

I have recently read on the web about a few folks running Kevlar beaded tires on Stan's rims w/ horrible results. In one case a guy blew a front tire off the rim and knocked out his front teeth in a crash.

IMHO it is foolish to run a NON UST or NON tubeless ready tire on any 29" rim setup without tubes. YES it can be done but it can be VERY dangerous.

I am sure that some people see my opinion as conservative but having a front tire blow off your rim at speed is deadly.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
fred, that's like me saying i'm the best drunken SS hill climber. oh, wait... :D

i haven't heard anything about them but i think i'll prolly pull the trigger on the wheels before then. i really want to have a better set for racing this year.

edit: jay, what you're saying about the quality is exactly what i've heard..

Shaggz

A strong 7
I'm having some wheels built and I am stuck on the rims. I'm down to the ztr 355 and the mavic 717. I will probably go tubeless, but the 819 are way too heavy so I am ruling them out.

I really like the rim shape of the stans', plus they are lighter and more tubeless friendly. My wheelbuilder is hesitant to build the wheels with the ztrs because he has had experience with them flexing alot more laterally than he would like.

My thinking is that running tubeless, the 717s will allow the tire to move more laterally due to the 2mm narrower rim bead with, in which case it's a toss up as to which rim will feel less solid.

Now, I want to find someone who rides the stan's rims that can tell me about them. I saw pixy's post on mtbr, but that probably isnt a fair comparo since the I9 setup is the ultimate in stiffness.

Anybody?
FWIW, I ride a trance. I wanted to replace my wheelset and was considering having a set built. I spoke to three guys who build wheels (John from CW, Jason from Halter's and an "on-line" builder), and all three steered me towards the Mavic STs.

All 3 represented that the complete wheel system would be best for my criteria (price, stiffness, wheel weight, UST, body weight, etc.). We also spoke about kings laced to 819s, but again, the STs seemed liked the best option. I have 30+ pounds on you, so maybe that made a difference in their reccs.

I think a set of custom built wheels is sexy, but I purchased the STs from Cycle Works. 4 rides so far, and I am very pleased with my decision. So, unless you have a set of hubs already, it's worth looking into a production wheel set.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I've been running tubeless on my 26" since July, Mavic 517/817 (forget which) with Stan's rubber strips, Hutchinson UST Pythons and Hutchinson sealant. I can't say enough good about this setup. Zero issues after LOTS of hard riding, including a few races.

Now, however, I've just built a 29er, and my wheels are one of the sets Jason is referring to. I went with Stan's Arch rims because I want to run tubeless and I had hubs already. I've yet to set the wheels up with the yellow tape, but that is my intention. I'm running Hutchinson Pythons, which are "tubeless ready", on these wheels as well. These are the first non-Mavic rims I've ever used in 16 years of riding. Everything I read pointed me toward them for my intended application, so we'll see how they hold up.

743power

Shop Keep
I'm going with the 717's if anyone was wondering.

I'd still like to try the 355s, but not on this build.

Hope to be rolling the new wheels this weekend.

Top Bottom