anybody running a 12-26ish cassette?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I'm having some wheels built at the end of the month and I'm deciding on a cassette. I was considering a 12-26/27 road cassette with a med. cage RD. I think I could benefit from the tighter gears and I'm dying to try out a shorter derailleur. I'm still running 3 rings up front, so I'll still have plenty of gearing to use.

This would be on a 4" ride that sees mostly central nj trails and probably a handful of races.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
not an mtb, but...

I ran a 12-27 cassette with 36/46 on my CX bike this year and rode it a bunch at Hartshorne/Huber, Allaire, and Clayton. Very versatile for that sort of riding.

A friend of mine was running the exact setup you describe, on a hardtail mtb, and loved it. The tighter gaps between gears is nice.

BiknBen

I'm having some wheels built at the end of the month and I'm deciding on a cassette. I was considering a 12-26/27 road cassette with a med. cage RD.

I tried this many years ago and did not have good results. Shifting sucked. I did not change RD. Maybe that would have made a diff?

There are many people that run this setup. Google "weight weenies".

pinkshirtphotos

im running one now. I have a 22/32 in the front. I find myself in the granny gear to much with it. I will switch back to a regular cassette soon. Mine has very low miles on it, if you want it ill sell it cheep. pm me.

bobkennelly

I tried this many years ago and did not have good results. Shifting sucked. I did not change RD. Maybe that would have made a diff?

There are many people that run this setup. Google "weight weenies".

I run a 12/27 on my hardtail with a new xtr long cage and I think it runs well and shifts well. this way you still have the option to put on a larger cassette if you want...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I raced on a 12-25 last year with an Xt Shadow short-cage...No problems whatsoever...

-Jim.

Top Bottom