anybody like 69ing?

MikeP

I've been borrowing my buddy's Trek 69er as a 2nd bike for awhile and gotta say I was pleasantly surprised out how fun this bike is in the woods. Feels nearly as fast as my Misfit and is a bit more nimble in tight turns. I know with the now 3 wheel sizes available (26" will fade away IMO) there's really no room for the 29/26 combo but the bike is definitely a blast. Anybody else on a 69er?

Attachments

• 69er.jpg
    69er.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 193

rwix15

It's like a mullet haircut, business in the front, party in the back. Mix it all together and you got the Best of ...?

THATmanMANNY

it's suppose to have good acceleration since you are working a 26 rear but still have the steam roller effect with the 29 front

a couple years ago when I spoke to Sherwood from Ventana, 69 was his personal bike

My friend in MI has the rootbeer ss 69er and loves it. I would pick one up if I ever saw one under $500

Last edited:

Dajerseyrat

I went from a 26" to a 29" recently and am a much faster rider on the 29er. I cant see how you would have faster acceleration using a smaller wheel on the rear..Using a smaller wheel would be like stepping down the gears no? Im guessing its a novelty for the bike companies to extract more $$$$$ from the consumers.

MikeP

shorter chainstays with the 26 rear wheel makes the bike a bit more nimble. Smaller wheels accelerate quicker but also lose momentum easier. I was really surprised I like the bike (thought it was a gimmick too) but with some options in the 29 HT world now with short chainstays (<17"), this kinda makes this bike obsolete.

gtluke

The Moped
I had the full suspension version of that bike, top fuel ex 69er, they made it for one year. fantastic setup, I really liked it. If they kept going with it and updated it to the newest model top fuel ex suspension, I would have bought the newer one, but they dropped it.

Dajerseyrat

I guess whatever you feel comfortable riding, you ride..I was a big skeptic of the 29 er myself, till I rode one..At nearly 40 years old I was rocking a mid 90s Cannondale, and began to get numb hands when I started riding again. I assumed it was from the seating position where it seemed like a good portion of my weight was on my palms. When I rode the 29er it seemed to be more of an upright seating position than I was used to and with a properly fit frame from Halters, I was able to alleviate the numbness and now enjoy riding again.

Im a big fan of the 29ers now, would love to try the 27.5 next.

Off The Road Again

I guess whatever you feel comfortable riding, you ride..I was a big skeptic of the 29 er myself, till I rode one..At nearly 40 years old I was rocking a mid 90s Cannondale, and began to get numb hands when I started riding again. I assumed it was from the seating position where it seemed like a good portion of my weight was on my palms. When I rode the 29er it seemed to be more of an upright seating position than I was used to and with a properly fit frame from Halters, I was able to alleviate the numbness and now enjoy riding again.

Im a big fan of the 29ers now, would love to try the 27.5 next.

I just recently bought the Santa Cruz Solo (now 5010) - it's a 27.5 and I absolutely love it!! Test rode the Trance 29 at 6M, felt good but not a good test. I think I'm too short for 29 (5'-6") and the 27.5 or 650b is a good fit for me.
As far as your seating position where the weight is on your palms, it's probably more of the type of bike you have. A Cross Country set up will have you more stretched out and more weight distributed to the bars, a Trail or All-Mountain has a shorter cockpit and takes the weight off the hands. Your new Scalpel is most likely All-Mountain and puts the weight further back. After riding two XC bikes, the All Terrain (Trail) set up on the Cruz feels awesome on the trails.

Dajerseyrat

I just recently bought the Santa Cruz Solo (now 5010) - it's a 27.5 and I absolutely love it!! Test rode the Trance 29 at 6M, felt good but not a good test. I think I'm too short for 29 (5'-6") and the 27.5 or 650b is a good fit for me.
As far as your seating position where the weight is on your palms, it's probably more of the type of bike you have. A Cross Country set up will have you more stretched out and more weight distributed to the bars, a Trail or All-Mountain has a shorter cockpit and takes the weight off the hands. Your new Scalpel is most likely All-Mountain and puts the weight further back. After riding two XC bikes, the All Terrain (Trail) set up on the Cruz feels awesome on the trails.

My old bike was an old Cannondale F400. Im glad I upgraded to the 29er, Im 6 ft tall and feel very comfortable on a 29er. The bike is so fast and fluid, you actually find yourself braking often cause you have over accelerated and have a turn to make. Its not quite as nimble as a 26er, but the wider and larger tires help a ton in sandy loose packed soil.

Rusty

what about 27.5 rear and 29er front....or 26 rear and 27.5 front? or for that matter training wheels in the back and a plastic big wheel wheel up front.

olegbabich

I have been thinking about building a 69er. have been thinking for so long that I have everything needed for this build, so it should happen by Christmas. I will be using an old Gary Fisher Tassajara frame.

Why might you ask, because I do not have one, that's why.:p

Top Bottom