Any way to save this tree?

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
So this tree just seemed to grow overnight.

OK

I was negligent in training it away from the house, or removing it when it was smaller. Guess I was too busy riding bikes.

This tree shades half our house all day and really helps keep it cooler.

Any way to trim the trunk so it doesnt move the house? Even if it means maybe the tree will live only another 5 or 10 years? Maybe by then we can afford to have central AC installed.

Its a katalpa (spelling?)

Attachments

• P1017614.JPG
    P1017614.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 123
  • P1017615.JPG
    P1017615.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 121

The Kalmyk

I'm all for saving a good tree but not at the expense of possible property damage. It's unfortunate it's so close to the foundation. Cant train the roots away from the house

RobW

I almost want to believe that the roots are already trained ... hence why it leans away from the house. I don't think you have a problem.... :rolleyes:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I almost want to believe that the roots are already trained ... hence why it leans away from the house. I don't think you have a problem.... :rolleyes:

I'm not a arborologist, but I agree with Flaubert. The tree looks like it is on the corner of AM's house. So if it got a big as it is without destroying the foundation I gather it is good to go.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i second the concern about foundation damage from the roots, if there is none then i dont see much of a problem

disclaimer: i am an engineer, NOT a professional arborist,

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
When my family first came to this country, what immediately amazed them was:

1. The existence of disposable diapers.
2. Central air.
3. The sheer number of crazy people.

Get rid of that tree before it does any real damage, along with all those other saplings, in the fall when your need for shade is less. In its place, about 10-15ft away from the house, plant a fast growing shade tree like an October Glory maple.

When my parents got central air when we were younger, it was a game changer, you should look into it. You also don't realize the damage humidity does to all of your stuff over time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Looks like fire is your best option. Just spray the house with water first, should be fine.

Just rip it out and plant a tree elsewhere.

Top Bottom