Any way to get from Berkshire Valley Rd to Greenpond?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
All,

Do any of your Northern Morris/Southern Sussex Co. guys know if there is a trail a long the Berkershire Valley Road corridor that'll take you over the Ridge to the Greenpond side of the ridge?

If there was, I thought it might be interesting to ride from the area I live (near Mahlon) to the Wild Cat Ridge area.

Sean's Sunday Mahlamuchy route could get me from my house to where the power lines intersect with BVR, but it looks like the power line route ain't gonna' cut it because it looks like Longwood lake gets in the way. Plus, who knows if the power line route could be ridden over the ridge anyway...

Thanks in advance.
Tim

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i know there is a trail. it may be a rail trail, but it's a trail. many moons ago when the only people i had to answer to were mom and dad, i rode very, very far on my trusty trek 850 to lands that were unfamiliar. i now believe these lands to be mahlon. could i recreate it now. nope. i'll leave that epic to one sean grady.

but, this whole thing would be made so much easier if freakin' picatinny wasn't in the way.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there's an assload of trails there tim. from the powerlines, you would go up, then left across the top of the ridge, overlooking greenpond. bear right several times to avoid dropping down into cozy lake rd, then right at the end to get to green pond, or left down a very gravelly trail to pop out on notch rd.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3976743

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Easily Amused

Check out the route that Sean posted around the bottom of Longwood Lake in Google Earth; zoom in and you'll find the white spot just NW of BVR is a jet.

NJ Jess

Memories

Wow, I used to live in Rockaway until I was 10. I rode my bike all day through those powerlines,...okay I pushed it up the hill side, but loved the downhill. Hope to ride up there this year.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Wow, I used to live in Rockaway until I was 10. I rode my bike all day through those powerlines,...okay I pushed it up the hill side, but loved the downhill. Hope to ride up there this year.

Sounds like maybe we should plan a group ride of sorts in June/July up there....

Glancing Aft

This is really cool to see, I had no idea many of these trails existed. So it seems I could potentially ride from my place (Trail Head to Wildcat is .5 miles) to Allamuchy mostly all on trails. I think I'll have to go for it one day.

Glancing Aft

that's the area. I feel like exploring now, so if it's not raining when I get out of work I'm going to ride there. If anyone would like to go meet me at the Heddy Road Trail Head at 5:30.

Tim sorry for the Thread Jack.

Shaggz

A strong 7
which area? one is in the west milford area and the other is morris, near boonton/denville.

Top Bottom