Any toilet repair experts here?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have a toilet with a very slow leak from the flush valve gasket. It takes over two hours for the tank to drop the 1" necessary for the fill valve to cycle back on. It's a 23ish year old Sterling by Kohler toilet.

I've had this apart numerous times. Tried a new Kohler triangle gasket with same results. Tried a whole new Kohler flush valve with it's new gasket. Same results.

Tried following directions and only tightening nut 1/4 turn past hand tight, tried overtightening. Nothing helps.

Thinking about slathering it all in silicone and trying again.

Piston Honda

My toilet used to leak at the gasket because the tank leaned slightly away from the bowl. Fixed it with plastic spacers that pushed the tank away from the wall.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
7b2.gif

jackx

I've seen it where the chain may get hung-up and pull ever so slightly on the flapper causing the flapper to not fully seat.

Have you called Kohler? They typically have great warranties and might ship you the parts for free if they feel it its a wannanty issue.

They might have a lifetime warranty to cover yours.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I've seen it where the chain may get hung-up and pull ever so slightly on the flapper causing the flapper to not fully seat.

Have you called Kohler? They typically have great warranties and might ship you the parts for free if they feel it its a wannanty issue.

They might have a lifetime warranty to cover yours.
Not the flapper. With only 1/3" of water in the bowl (so below flapper) I can see water leaking down. I added food color to see it drip.

Haven't checked with Kohler. The parts are cheap. It's just the time of redoing this over and over. Silicone is next. Right after a MTB ride.

w_b

Kohlers suck. The only thing that fixed mine was drain, disassemble, dry, scrape, clean, then a light coating of silicone on the gasket to tank (make sure the flapper valve housing is oriented correctly to rotate and compress the gasket and still be clear of obstructions,) let cure overnight.
Next morning, rip it all out, do it again, this time with an alcohol wipe for the clean, and repeat.

American Standard: throw the parts up in the air near the toilet, go drink a beer, done.

Last edited:

Dave02

See if there is a replacement valve seat. If it's not the flapper, I would check the seat that the flapper seals to.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
After further inspection I believe the Kohler triangle gasket is the wrong one. It fits, but not quite perfectly in the hole of the base. I think there is one that is slightly smaller. Waiting for an answer from Kohler,

ekuhn

After 23 years, treat yourself to a new chair height bowl.

Add a squatty potty while you're at it, it'll revolutionize your world.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
After 23 years, treat yourself to a new chair height bowl.

Add a squatty potty while you're at it, it'll revolutionize your world.
I'd replace it if it were in a bathroom we actually use. It's in the bathroom my son uses and he's away at school.

Top Bottom