Any tips for me and my GoPro while riding?

ekuhn

My girlfriend got me a GoPro Hero Silver 4 for my birthday last year with a bunch of mounts, accessories, extra batteries, and 128 gig card. Ive taken it out on a few rides with the bar mount on the handlebars and mounted it to the seat post. These mounts picked up a ton of tire and brake noise. I've used the chest mount once but it seemed to be more pointed at the stem based on my body position. I haven't tried the helmet mount setup yet.

What mounts do you video pros use?
What resolution do you shoot at? I was shooting at 1080, thinking of dropping to 720.
Any other tips and tricks you could share?

I'm far from the next Red Bull extreme athlete, or YouTube sensation, just looking for some pointers and tips. TIA

I Ride Bikes

I'm pretty sure you can flip the camera in the chesty to get the proper angle and change the camera setting to flip the image.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also, summer time is better. More green and vegetation looks better.
And have other riders in the video. That helps a lot too.

Mr.Moto

Seth of Seth's Bike Hacks has some video tips:

When he came to do the Ringwood and Jungle videos he had a few cameras in different positions. The under visor / forehead and chest locations seems to give a good POV. He also used a gimble mount which improves the steadiness of the video, but is a costly and kind of bulky option to add on while biking.

goldsbar

GoPro vs Reality is a great clip. I find the same for skiing. Unless you're hucking a 30 footer with a back flip thrown in (not me!), the first person videos don't do the terrain any justice.

moray42

Merman
. I've used the chest mount once but it seemed to be more pointed at the stem based on my body position. I haven't tried the helmet mount setup yet.

Tends to help if you point the camera a bit more upwards on the chest mount when standing upright. That way when you take a riding stance it will aim downtrail instead of straight out from your chest toward the stem. My experience with helmet is that it tends to make the terrain appear the most flat.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
sort of new to the gopro thing now, but the best thing is to always have someone in frame, otherwise it's hard to understand what is happening.

also, it's easy to shoot the video, but cropping it together is the hardest part.

chasing/with people, 1080 super wide

solo 1080, regular.

i think the super wide is better. i dont mess with the super high frame rate either, too afraid to demo it and not like it, and lose a day of SICK FOOOOTY

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have the 3 Silver. My best videos were with the chest mount set up upside down to hang. You see the front end of the bike which is cool, and a bit more stable because your body complies with bumps much better. Bar mounted causes way too much vibration. Set up the angle of the camera with your phone preview through the app and make sure it's pointing where you want it while in your riding position. I run 720p when it's pretty cloudy or getting dark. If it's super bright, 1080 at 60fps works well. And like others said, try to have somebody in front of you to make it more interesting to watch.

Top Bottom