Any Tesla drivers out there?

grampaaah2

Just looking to see what people's real world experiences are with tesla model 3? Can you run hitch rack on them?
Looking at either a pickup truck or a model 3

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Talon_clipped_rev_1_720x.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Someone else wrote Tesla besides me?! jk
(1) your first question is quite generic... what do you want to know?
(2) yes there are aftermarket hitches
(3) you are Cross shopping a pickup and a 3... that puzzles me a little
Are you shopping new or used?
(4) I have a seasucker mini bomber too
(5) The Model S has better inside storage 200% because liftback
(6) you don't want to wait for the Y (late 2020) will probably have OEM hitch option or the brodozer? (ETA who the hell knows)

I haven't had a pickup for 4 years or more. I miss the DIY capability but driving electric cars is much more enjoyable. I still get things done without the truck.

Last edited:

grampaaah2

Someone else wrote Tesla besides me?! jk
(1) your first question is quite generic... what do you want to know?
(2) yes there are aftermarket hitches
(3) you are Cross shopping a pickup and a 3... that puzzles me a little
Are you shopping new or used?
(4) I have a seasucker mini bomber too
(5) The Model S has better inside storage 200% because liftback
(6) you don't want to wait for the Y (late 2020) will probably have OEM hitch option or the brodozer? (ETA who the hell knows)

I haven't had a pickup for 4 years or more. I miss the DIY capability but driving electric cars is much more enjoyable. I still get things done without the truck.

Hi @THATmanMANNY I was thinking changing from an SUV to a model 3. Mostly interested how it will function with life ( 2 kids, 1 is an infant ) and my hobbies ( mountain biking and snowboarding) Also driving up to places like Vermont for snowboarding. How is dealing with charging on longer trips?

Model s way more than I am looking to spend, the elec pickup might be interesting but I don't think I can wait.

THATmanMANNY

When people ask me how long it takes to charge.. answer is, it all depends on your use and needs. I don’t use super chargers often. Maybe once a year we will do a long trip that will require multiple supercharger stops. So we really don’t mind the 30-40min juice up after 150miles to refresh and go again. How many times a season do you plan to go to VT and solo or with family?

Also a young family of 4 here. Toddler and infant. So there is already time limit on the legs you spend driving and god knows you will be at the stop longer than you want anyways because kids. The model 3 is good for the daily needs but your family need to be an efficient packer/traveler for the long hauls. The S is better for family trips. It doesn’t pack that much more but hwy cruising is smoother and when you have odd stuff to fit the lift back area is nice. Both cars have hitch rack and roof rack options too.

Look at preowned model s sold through tesla (4 year warranty). Or a private owner with extended warranty (2 or 4 years). A must for your VT trips is subzero package (heated steering wheel and wipers) and AP1 and at least 85D. Prices may surprise you and won’t be far off from a new 3 long range DM. A new 3 vs used S is a hot topic. The 3 has the latest tech (AP, computers, hardware, charging speed) and might be the better car but the S cruises much better and more storage and styling I prefer. Everyone has different needs so it’s good you have Tesla choices and more to come!

I know the self control is hard to fight but if you can wait, WAIT! The Model Y may be your SUV! Will have the same tech as the 3 or even better. But who the heck knows! Tesla makes slight changes nearly every quarter. I have no regrets about buying a LR rwd model 3 but I could probably buy a performance 3 with that money now!

Here to help with Any more questions!

Last edited:

qclabrat

When people ask me how long it takes to charge.. answer is, it all depends on your use and needs. I don’t use super chargers often. Maybe once a year we will do a long trip that will require multiple supercharger stops. So we really don’t mind the 30-40min juice up after 150miles to refresh and go again. How many times a season do you plan to go to VT and solo or with family?

Also a young family of 4 here. Toddler and infant. So there is already time limit on the legs you spend driving and god knows you will be at the stop longer than you want anyways because kids. The model 3 is good for the daily needs but your family need to be an efficient packer/traveler for the long hauls. The S is better for family trips. It doesn’t pack that much more but hwy cruising is smoother and when you have odd stuff to fit the lift back area is nice. Both cars have hitch rack and roof rack options too.

Look at preowned model s sold through tesla (4 year warranty). Or a private owner with extended warranty (2 or 4 years). A must for your VT trips is subzero package (heated steering wheel and wipers) and AP1 and at least 85D. Prices may surprise you and won’t be far off from a new 3 long range DM. A new 3 vs used S is a hot topic. The 3 has the latest tech (AP, computers, hardware, charging speed) and might be the better car but the S cruises much better and more storage and styling I prefer. Everyone has different needs so it’s good you have Tesla choices and more to come!

I know the self control is hard to fight but if you can wait, WAIT! The Model Y may be your SUV! Will have the same tech as the 3 or even better. But who the heck knows! Tesla makes slight changes nearly every quarter. I have no regrets about buying a LR rwd model 3 but I could probably buy a performance 3 with that money now!

So the Performance 3 does cruise as well as an 85D? what makes them different?

THATmanMANNY

Most used later Model S has the air suspension vs the 3s springs and just the longer wheelbase and wider track makes it a better highway car. The early 3s were harsh. They even had customers bring them back to update the springs. The 3s still kind of a stiff ride but not in a bad way like a sports car and a performance 3 is only stiffer (different springs and lower, and 20s). The Ss air suspension takes the edge off and the newest “raven” Ss are now like Merc S class plush. Also, just for clarification the newest S has the latest tech that the 3 has (battery, motors, AP hardware, computer gizmos) but if wasnt like that for nearly 2 years.

roc

If you are traveling somewhere out of your battery range, how long does it take to fully recharge? I see the chargers at my shoprite, do they charge you a fee for that? do you have to plot out your route to make sure there is a charging station?
@THATmanMANNY

THATmanMANNY

AP2 was produced in later 2016 and 2017. Then came AP2.5 now 3.0 which is supposed to be the final iteration for autonomous BUT i doubt it haha
AP2 yo!!! :cool:
C56B0EB6-B9E9-4ACB-A40F-3720B1AD746E.jpeg

grampaaah2

Any reliability or quality issues? If so how long have you had the car?

Thanks for answering the questions I really appreciate it, I tend to keep cars for a long time and put on a lot of miles so hearing from a real world person is super helpful

THATmanMANNY

@roc the Tesla navigation system will route you and tell you where to stop and how long if your destination is out of range. It will overcompensate your charge time at the charger and it won't account for is mileage you need while at your destination putzing around town locally at your destination so usually the last stop I charge a little more or don't worry about it if my destination has some charging option(s). Charging time depends on your immediate need but 30min-40min for an efficient stop is normal. The lower you are in your battery (~20%) the faster your car will charge then it will taper off as it gets juiced up. The most efficient charging is get it to 70%-80% and get to your next supercharger. It's more efficient to drive faster than spend longer time charging it up more and more because it will taper off more and more.

Are you talking about Tesla chargers at your Shoprite or other brand? Most Model 3s you pay per charge. And S/X has a mix of free lifetime and pay per charge. All other brand chargers are pay per use.

@grampaaah2
-Model 3, approaching one year, no issues, definitely the better designed and produced car
-used Model S, on/off 2 years, there has been issues but nothing to make me not want the car that's why it's important with a warranty
-my gearhead friend who only bought low priced used cars for dailys, bought a Model 3 earlier this year. Loves the hell out of it. "Best car he's ever driven."

interesting there is also a Grampaaah handle here

Exhibit A, low battery, note charging speed
787DF5D8-6CA6-4857-BE3A-C0AE80CF85F7.jpeg

Exhibit B, mid charge, note slower charging speed
96332741-3A53-4060-99C6-C79A901E7635.jpeg

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know this is a tesla thread but:

Mid 200miles
Kona EV
Niro EV
Bolt EV
With Leaf coming
Silent Luke raves about his bolt

We are car lease shopping and gonna test a few of these which will include the 3.

Top Bottom