Any shop hacks to treat this?

robmaurizi

My wife’s rear wheel seems to have a bit of a situation where the hole for the valve is a bit jagged, so it tears the tube right where it joins the valve (see the pic below)

It’s a 1991 Trek 6000 26” 3x7, and I’m trying to source a wheel, but I figured I’d ask around to see if anyone knows of a simple fix that doesn’t involve the sales floor to get her back up & running again.

Thanks!
-Rob

E4D7A5D6-EF10-4327-A2A1-AD581E057A65.jpeg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is there a rim strip? Normally you should have some sort of material strip covering the spoke holes. If it’s still super sharp and pokes through, file it down a little.

Karate Monkey

Buy a roll of velox/zefál/newbaums cloth rim tape, put the hole over a bare patch of rim.

Poke a hole though the tape with a hot nail, just large enough to fit the valve through (ie: tight).

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gorilla tape. Poke a hole for the valve.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Yes to the round file and rim tape. And if you are tightening your tube's presta valve stem lock nut during installation. Don't forget to unscrew it back to the valve cap, or better, remove that valve stem locknut entirely.

The tube will creep during riding, and with the valve lock nut removed you will be able to see the valve stem angle due to the tube creep. If you keep the valve stem lock nut tight. The tube will likely tear around the valve stem when the tube creeps around the rim.

robmaurizi

Is there a rim strip? Normally you should have some sort of material strip covering the spoke holes. If it’s still super sharp and pokes through, file it down a little.
Yes, there's a rim strip, and it, too, seems a little chewed up near the valve hole.

robmaurizi

Yes to the round file and rim tape. And if you are tightening your tube's presta valve stem lock nut during installation. Don't forget to unscrew it back to the valve cap, or better, remove that valve stem locknut entirely.

The tube will creep during riding, and with the valve lock nut removed you will be able to see the valve stem angle due to the tube creep. If you keep the valve stem lock nut tight. The tube will likely tear around the valve stem when the tube creeps around the rim.
Schraeder :-/

But yes, it seems like it winds up on an angle and that's when it gets into trouble. Going to try filing it down and cleaning it up, and will need to see if any of the LBS have any kind of rim tape (would tubeless tape work?)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Schraeder :-/

But yes, it seems like it winds up on an angle and that's when it gets into trouble. Going to try filing it down and cleaning it up, and will need to see if any of the LBS have any kind of rim tape (would tubeless tape work?)
Yes. If you're running tubes, you can use whatever tape you want. Basically you just want to protect the tube from being punctured by the sharp edges of the holes. The cloth rim strips are typically thicker and wouldn't raise the bead seat though, and why waste some nice tubeless tape.

onetracker

You mean the kind you can get at the hardware store?
I assumed that you were using a rubber rim strip. Filing down the sharp edges is the key. I think that cloth tape is a good addition and shit can the rubber rim strip. Not a fan of gorilla tape on bike rims. I have some cloth tape that I would gladly give you if you are close by. We live in Allendale. PM me and I will leave a roll out for you in my driveway.

robmaurizi

I assumed that you were using a rubber rim strip. Filing down the sharp edges is the key. I think that cloth tape is a good addition and shit can the rubber rim strip. Not a fan of gorilla tape on bike rims. I have some cloth tape that I would gladly give you if you are close by. We live in Allendale. PM me and I will leave a roll out for you in my driveway.
Thanks.. i don’t think I can make it up your way this weekend, but we’ll try smoothing the area and taping it up... see what happens!

robmaurizi

What happened? How did it go?
So far so good! We ground the rough spot smooth with the dremel and then covered the offending area with gorilla tape and all seems good so far. The wife’s made it to work & back several times on it so far and it seems to be holding.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice & info!

serviceguy

Oh, another think that can cause the shredded tube at the valve is if the tube is too small for the tire. I destroyed three tubes at my first JORBAFest because of this...

Top Bottom