Any scotch/whisky drinkers in here?

EpicRidr

More of a bourbon fan

But when I do drink Scotch, I'm a fan of the Macallan. Aged in used sherry barrels, and very tasty. I've tried Laphroaig, and I'd try it again, but no Scotch is going to replace my Knob Creek.

pjrohr

Laphroaig is too peaty for me, exactly how you describe it though. I don't have scotch too often, but when i do, its Glenrothes. Little bit more pricey than Macallan twelve, but worth it IMO.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I dabbled in single malts a while ago, but just keep blends & vatted malts in the house nowadays. House whisky is the Famous Grouse, generally. Also have Grant's and Sheep Dip open right now. And always Drambuie on hand for Rusty Nails.

Bourbon gets love as well. Maker's Mark is the usual go-to, also have Bulleit, Elijah Craig, and Michter's (their "American Whiskey" not the rye) at the moment.

Dr Superb

I'm a big fan of Makers Mark bourbon. I dont know enough about scotch / whiskey as i do about beers or wine to really enjoy them as i should...

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
To the OP-
I'm with you. I've been enjoying some Laphroaig lately, it is a tasty beverage.
If you haven't tried it, you may want to look for their Cairdeas-
it has all the great characteristics of Laphroaig but is somewhat mellower.

And another you might like is a Lagavullin, some great peat smoke in there too,
and a little fuller than Laph I think.
If you can find the distiller's edition 16 y/o, it's worth it.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lagavulin and Ardbeg are actually next on my list. I just wish Islay single malts were cheaper :cry:
Yup. The thing to look for is tastings or tasting classes.
Have not seen many around, but it's a good way to try a variety without breaking the bank.
Unfortunately the tasting dinners I've seen are typically only a single distillery,
so you only get variations on a theme.

Lag is a classic, I need to revisit Ardbeg- I've heard good things about the Uigeadail.

UnionRider475

Cheap -- McClellands Highlands single malt - usually my budget

Tax refund time -- Macallan s 18 year old single malt

pjrohr

Yup. The thing to look for is tastings or tasting classes.
Have not seen many around, but it's a good way to try a variety without breaking the bank.
Unfortunately the tasting dinners I've seen are typically only a single distillery,
so you only get variations on a theme.

Lag is a classic, I need to revisit Ardbeg- I've heard good things about the Uigeadail.

There's a tasting every year at the Madison Hotel near Morristown. Great variety and not too expensive, and you get glasses, and to taste some really good stuff, all while chatting the Johnny Walker ladies up. It's already happened this year, but watch whiskyguild.com and their events calendar. Has something for everyone...beer, whisky and bourbon.

Chris(NJ)

There's a tasting every year at the Madison Hotel near Morristown. Great variety and not too expensive, and you get glasses, and to taste some really good stuff, all while chatting the Johnny Walker ladies up. It's already happened this year, but watch whiskyguild.com and their events calendar. Has something for everyone...beer, whisky and bourbon.

well, consider this my vote to have a ride session and follow it up at the madison hotel for the after party :cool:

Stocky

I have a bottle of Macallan 12 that was given to me as a gift . I can't get used to the taste just yet . This is probably due to my taste buds having been ruined from years of Jack on the rocks :)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a bottle of Macallan 12 that was given to me as a gift . I can't get used to the taste just yet . This is probably due to my taste buds having been ruined from years of Jack on the rocks :)

That's one of my favorites. Nothing can beat some Oban though. Nothing.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Thanks- will definitely keep an eye out for this

And for the more adventurous it will start with drinks at Madison hotel followed by a ride session.

And this.

addicted7369

as far as single malts go I'm a fan of Glenmorange Sherry wood finish couple drops of water helps to bring the flavors of the scotch. Very smooth and really tasty:D

Top Bottom