Any scotch/whisky drinkers in here?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

Too many ice cubes, your killing it, its only 47%! Some of you in this thread are going waaaaay overboard with the ice. That Laphroaig is only 40%. A little water to open things up can be good, but too much kills it. These things have already been proofed with spring water before they're bottled. If you need to open it up a little more, one small cube of spring water. As it melts, you'll find your sweet-spot.

JDurk

How much? Just saw it for $99, crazy
I paid $100. I asked how many they got. Guy at the shop mumbled something and then 3, not sure if he already sold 3 or only got 3. Mentioned to a friend that I acquired a bottle at said store. He drove there that day and bought the last 1.

rick81721

Lothar
Have you had fake Irish whiskey previously? And what was it that you tried?

Ha I've tried some "high end" american and canadian whiskies, this was the first irish. Let's face it, none of this crap tastes good - but these can move the needle from horrible to just awful. Is there a holy grail whiskey that pushes the peanut further to unpleasant?? :D

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too many ice cubes, your killing it, its only 47%! Some of you in this thread are going waaaaay overboard with the ice. That Laphroaig is only 40%. A little water to open things up can be good, but too much kills it. These things have already been proofed with spring water before they're bottled. If you need to open it up a little more, one small cube of spring water. As it melts, you'll find your sweet-spot.
I tend to be "to each his own" on enjoying whisk(e)y, and enjoy it neat myself,
but I agree with doing baby steps to find the sweet spot with ice or a drop or two of water-
Ice chills and closes flavors down, whereas even just a drop of water can open things up.
Fun to experiment

MMuller

Realtor wife closing on a house next week and wanted to get closing gift for client. We know nothing of scotch nor whiskey or even if they're one in the same. Any recommendations? She usually spends around $100 but, and get this, the guy likes to shoot guns so was thinking of a shooting range gift certificate with a bottle of hootch. Dream client or what?

rick81721

Lothar
Realtor wife closing on a house next week and wanted to get closing gift for client. We know nothing of scotch nor whiskey or even if they're one in the same. Any recommendations? She usually spends around $100 but, and get this, the guy likes to shoot guns so was thinking of a shooting range gift certificate with a bottle of hootch. Dream client or what?

Ha our realtor got us a bottle of scotch after we sold a house and bought a townhouse thru him. We don't drink that crap so it will just collect dust in the basement. Why do realtors think they have to give a gift after closing? Most people want to forget about the whole sordid process and get on with the new digs.

JDurk

Scotch is a whisky made in Scotland if that helps.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We know nothing of scotch nor whiskey or even if they're one in the same.
tenor.gif

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any recommendations?
There's always something in every price range-
do you have an idea of what he likes?
Even just whether it's scotch, bourbon, rye, blended or Irish whiskey?

It's whiskey in US and Ireland, and Whisky in Scotland, Canadia and Japan-
If the country has an E in it's name, it's whiskey,
if not, it's whisky.
There's something you know now.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I tend to be "to each his own" on enjoying whisk(e)y, and enjoy it neat myself,
but I agree with doing baby steps to find the sweet spot with ice or a drop or two of water-
Ice chills and closes flavors down, whereas even just a drop of water can open things up.
Fun to experiment
I agree to each is own, but too much of something is never good, this is an education thread also, right? If you need to add water, add water with no iron in it (usually spring or filtered). The better distilleries out there proof their bourbon or whiskey over time instead of dumping water right in as this preserves the more delicate flavors (congeners). I drink neat until I start pushing the 60% abv threshold, once I'm over that, I'll proof down to around 55-57%, since that's my general sweet-spot, although I've had some bourbons neat that were dangerously drinkable over 60.

MMuller

Ha our realtor got us a bottle of scotch after we sold a house and bought a townhouse thru him. We don't drink that crap so it will just collect dust in the basement. Why do realtors think they have to give a gift after closing? Most people want to forget about the whole sordid process and get on with the new digs.
It's kind. My wife is friends with everyone she does biz with, even after the sordid process.

MMuller

There's always something in every price range-
do you have an idea of what he likes?
Even just whether it's scotch, bourbon, rye, blended or Irish whiskey?

It's whiskey in US and Ireland, and Whisky in Scotland, Canadia and Japan-
If the country has an E in it's name, it's whiskey,
if not, it's whisky.
There's something you know now.
I'll dri k to that. Thanks!

Top Bottom