Any scotch/whisky drinkers in here?

rlb

I've been going between Basil Hayden's and Bulleit, just because I know I like then both. Anything else that's "good for the money" in the sub $40 range?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been going between Basil Hayden's and Bulleit, just because I know I like then both. Anything else that's "good for the money" in the sub $40 range?
I’m assuming bourbon, these are pretty solid:
Elijah Craig small batch
Four Roses small batch or single barrel
Eagle Rare
Michters

Edit:
Knob Creek 9y 120* is also fantastic under $40
And Bulleit just released a blenders select, which some places are selling at $40, which I think is below MSRP

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok. What's next a without the $40 limit. Been drinking mostly EC small batch.
Obvious choice would be EC barrel proof (MSRP $55), especially if you like that flavor profile.
EH Taylor small batch flirts with the $40, though it's often marked up a bit higher

I made the mistake of trying their entry level which was meh,
but Old Forester 1910 and 1920 both land around $55 and people seem to like them quite a bit.

Edit: Woodford Reserve is also nice just a tick above $40

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
not a booze drinker except reluctantly during the annual Canadian fishing trip but my neighbor sent this - pretty impressive

Jrzjoe

I only like rye but will drink bourbon and am beginning to dig scotch. I don’t know enough about it to recommend tho.
As far as rye goes I’m digging Hudson rye a bit. Bluebird rye for phoenixville Pa is very good. I’ve had basil Hayden’s port cask rye and didn’t like it too much. Bulliett isn’t one of my favorites but I liked knob creek. If you have money to spend peerless is very good. Dads hat is also pretty solid and not too expensive.
The Japanese are turning out some pretty respected stuff lately but I have yet to try it. They don’t seem to be doing rye.DFA5702A-E19A-4F77-A0A4-374A07CD67F9.jpeg

TimBay

Ok. What's next a without the $40 limit. Been drinking mostly EC small batch.
Jefferson's has a few interesting varieties above 40. Basically, anything over 30 should typically be a solid good bourbon. Except this Town Branch I bought. It's fucking gross. I thought I'd had it before, so maybe just a bad bottle?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I only like rye but will drink bourbon and am beginning to dig scotch. I don’t know enough about it to recommend tho.
As far as rye goes I’m digging Hudson rye a bit. Bluebird rye for phoenixville Pa is very good. I’ve had basil Hayden’s port cask rye and didn’t like it too much. Bulliett isn’t one of my favorites but I liked knob creek. If you have money to spend peerless is very good. Dads hat is also pretty solid and not too expensive.
The Japanese are turning out some pretty respected stuff lately but I have yet to try it. They don’t seem to be doing rye.View attachment 127424

Is that a broken Race Face Crank?

rlb

Except this Town Branch I bought. It's fucking gross. I thought I'd had it before, so maybe just a bad bottle?

In the square bottle? I bought a bottle over the summer and thought the same. Do not recommend! This is why I asked for recommendations, this was my only random bourbon buy and a waste of $$.

TimBay

In the square bottle? I bought a bottle over the summer and thought the same. Do not recommend! This is why I asked for recommendations, this was my only random bourbon buy and a waste of $$.
Yeah that's some bad luck. One of the things I love about bourbon is that, unlike scotch, it's hard to find a bad one over 30 bucks. So it allows you to roll the dice and get something different more often.

Elijah Craig is a huge go-to. Just a perfectly balanced mid priced bottle.
Evan Williams single barrel is surprisingly awesome for just 30 bucks. Don't let the brand name fool you, it's light years beyond basic EW.
High end - angels envy is super smooth. Widows Envy is pure happiness, probably one of my all time favorites. Blanton is awesome and a super cool bottle and that historic high society bourbon.
Amador, is a fun unique bourbon, finished in I think port wine barrels for an added flavor complexity.
Local - if you can find it, Asbury Park Boubon was surprisingly delicious at just 40 bucks.
Super cheap goodness - Rebel Yell is the best sub-20 bottle ive ever had. Rebel reserve is even better. Had reserve at a bar once, special ordered a couple times from a local store in boonton, they decided to try a bottle themselves and loved it so much they started stocking it.

Reactions: rlb

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Another bourbon in the $40+ category that I’ve enjoyed is Rowan’s Creek.

The next step up in price point from that distillery is Noah’s Mill, which I’ve not had.

Top Bottom